General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty! What's your opinion/experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 651 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a friend who kind of talked me into buying my bike. Since he's been riding for years and several bikes in those years I asked his advice on the ESP. His response was something to the effect "I could buy a new motor for half of what the cost of the ESP costs" and did that lip thing that makes you think he's saying "nah".

So I bought the Heritage and got a call from him a few weeks later to go for a ride into the Sierra Mountains near Susanville. 140 miles into the trip his shifter linkage falls off. We pull over and fix it and notice his back tire has bald spots. I call him out on his lack of maintenance. His response...that's what his extended warranty is for.

Not sure what to make of this learning lesson. Good luck on your decision. My advice...if you don't get the ESP, make damned sure you do all the required maintenance. Wait...is that what my friend was trying to tell me?

Old 09-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

If you travel a lot and it makes you feel better, get it... I had one for 6 years and used it for what I paid... It ain’t worth a crap until you need it.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:32 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Going past the basic warranty, If you don't own tools, a service manual or are dangerous with a wrench, you may want to consider an ESP

In days past, if you didn't wrench a bit on your bike, you didn't ride

Last edited by DonnieM; 09-18-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:36 PM
username not valid
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought a '17 Road King, put a FP3 on it. Warranty Schmarranty. I don't let fear rule my life.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,182 Likes on 7,365 Posts

I have owned five new Harley’s. I have never bought or financed the extended warranty on the day I bought the bike.

Most I have not kept over two years. However we really liked our 2010 Ultra and just before the factory warranty expired I bought then tended warranty for three more years. We kept this bike for 6 years and traded it with 56k miles on the clock.

We had a shock fail and the transmission went out on it and there was a primary issue. Total we saved about $400 bucks over what the extended warranty costs. So it was worth while and gave us peace of mind.

Our current bike is almost a year old from our purchase date. It is a 2017 CVO Limited and we really like it a lot. I will plan to buy the extended warranty about this time next year.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I got the extended warranty with my Slim. Probably will never need it but with all the complicated components on new bikes I am going with it. On my cages I have extended warranties on both of them. In fact I have a lifetime warranty on my wife's Durango.At my age I figure I will be gone long before her and this will most likely be her last car so I know it will be taken care of for her if something expensive fails. Electronic components such as the ECM are super expensive. Plus with an extended warranty we get a free rental car from Dodge if only for the day even for recalls. Does HD have the same policy? I don't believe so but they should.
kk

Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 PM
MadMexican
Club Member
Received 695 Likes on 485 Posts

What I've paid has returned double in parts and labor over almost 2 years....currently planning on extending it 2 more years.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:14 PM
NoahD
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moparnut72
I got the extended warranty with my Slim. Probably will never need it but with all the complicated components on new bikes I am going with it. On my cages I have extended warranties on both of them. In fact I have a lifetime warranty on my wife's Durango.At my age I figure I will be gone long before her and this will most likely be her last car so I know it will be taken care of for her if something expensive fails. Electronic components such as the ECM are super expensive. Plus with an extended warranty we get a free rental car from Dodge if only for the day even for recalls. Does HD have the same policy? I don't believe so but they should.
kk
Good points. There is something about a replacement bike and putting you up In a hotel if you break down on a trip. I think there is a “when possible” Clause. I haven’t actually read a document to see the fine print.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:45 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,771 Likes on 9,570 Posts

So far my bike has had 4 warranty jobs done in 2 seasons and 22,000 miles. No reason to think that will not keep on happening. So yes, I will get it in May when my original warranty is close to up. I am shooting for 100,000 miles on this one. It will be nice to have the peace of mind over the life of the bike, for little more than a cup of coffee a day.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought my 2014 Street Glide Special but waited on buying the ESP. I read multiple times on this forum that you could buy it later and from any dealer. Since there are 5 dealers within 40 miles of my house, I called around.

I made certain that each dealer was giving me a quote on the 5 year plan with wheel and tire coverage. I ended up saving almost $800 on the initial purchase. 6 months after I bought the bike I hit a huge pothole and bent both rims. The ESP replaced the tire and wheel and the front bearings. I figure I came out ok even if I don’t have another claim.

The main reason I bought the ESP was because I didn’t want to pay the thousands if the 6.5 boom box went down.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty! What's your opinion/experience?