General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

News article: "Harley-Davidson tries to regain its coolness factor"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018 | 04:05 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

"​most millennials simply don't have the financial means to buy a $15,000 bike​​​​​​"
Harley catering to millenials who dont like and cant afford the brand.... Lunacy. This is why I will never make the big CEO money.

Old 09-10-2018 | 04:36 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

im around alot of high school age kids these days since my kid is in high school, So these kids im talking to are from 16-18. I do live on the west coast so that might make a difference but all of them say the same thing about motorcycles. That they just arent interested in them period. Now, back in my day when i was in high school in the early 80s...every boy wanted a motorcycle and thought they were the coolest things around. Holy cow if one of us could afford a harley back then you bet we would have had one.
Motorcycles in general just arent what at least kids in that age bracket are into anymore. Motorcycles or hot rods is what we wanted in high school. Loved to soup up muscle cars. Kids just arent into working on cars and riding motorcycles. Thats all there is to it.

Old 09-10-2018 | 04:39 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by OKMICK
I've not missed the point at all. The opinion of the author of the piece is that Harley is no longer cool because millennials don't buy it. Bullshit. Reality is for he most part they cannot afford them, as with all generations they think that anything connected to their parents isn't cool, etc. Trying to be cool by calling yourself different or a rebel has never changed, be it fat guys in vest with patches riding a certain brand of bike or man bun wearing, skinny jean purse toting sissies. Again, if you have to try to be cool...you ain't.
Harley was never cool, depending on who you ask. It's all a matter of perspective. Some people like motorcycles. Some see them as cool. Some never did. Styles change and go in and out. This applies to bikes as well as clothing etc...I guess people rag on man buns for the same reason their parents generation ragged on anyone wearing long hair--it was different and only girls wear their hair like that.

Just being yourself should be original and cool enough in a sea of people trying to emulate something/someone else..

The following 2 users liked this post by MiniWolf:
DuciDay (12-29-2019), XRX (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018 | 04:40 PM
XRX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Harley was never cool, depending on who you ask. It's all a matter of perspective. Some people like motorcycles. Some see them as cool. Some never did. Styles change and go in and out. This applies to bikes as well as clothing etc...I guess people rag on man buns for the same reason their parents generation ragged on anyone wearing long hair--it was different and only girls wear their hair like that.

Just being yourself should be original and cool enough in a sea of people trying to emulate something/someone else..
Exactly. You can't deposit "cool" into your checking account. Just ride your own ride.

The following users liked this post:
MiniWolf (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018 | 04:42 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Bingo.

Old 09-10-2018 | 04:49 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

Bingo.

Old 09-10-2018 | 05:00 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

Does anyone remember the smaller Harley's that are no longer produced? I'm talking the 125cc, 165cc, 175cc, and 250cc. All with a single jug. They were well suited for the beginning rider as well as off road. Look at the old Sprint. It seems to me when AMF took over, though I may be wrong, all of those smaller bikes gradually went by the wayside. But one thing for sure was they were very affordable.

Granted they are not something you would take to the highway with, but certainly millennial's might have an appreciation for them.

Old 09-10-2018 | 05:28 PM
b bop n bob
Stellar HDF Member

Millennials aren't interested because there isn't "an app for that."

Old 09-10-2018 | 05:29 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Harley never lost its 'cool factor'.
If anything, they were overly successful with it, to the point that non-cool people started buying them in the expectation that the bikes would make them cool.

Old 09-10-2018 | 05:33 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Halojumper
If anything, they were overly successful with it, to the point that non-cool people started buying them in the expectation that the bikes would make them cool.
Yep. Wanna see my tennis shoes with a swoosh on 'em?

Last edited by OKMICK; 09-10-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: News article: "Harley-Davidson tries to regain its coolness factor"