General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

News article: "Harley-Davidson tries to regain its coolness factor"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018 | 02:02 PM
MiniWolf

Harley isn’t a lifestyle. It’s a brand and make of motorcycle. Not sure how buying a Harley as opposed to a Honda or Moto Guzzi means you’re buying into a lifestyle. Lifestyles are defined by how one lives, not by the vehicle one owns or chooses to buy. The rebel outlaw lifestyle image harley pushes is all corporate marketing fluff. It’s just a bike, not a merit badge of some kind.

The following 2 users liked this post by MiniWolf:
'Ol dirty biker (09-29-2018), XRX (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018 | 02:07 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member

I love my Harley but I don't quite get the "lifestyle" thing quite frankly, I have zero in common with most of the folks I see at the dealership or Harley biker bars (I typically feel like Eddie Murphy with Nick Nolte in the bar scene in the movie 48 Hours when I walk into a Harley bar). I bought the bike solely because I liked how it looked, felt, and rode (and prodding from dad).

With that said, though I suspect I have very little in common with fellow Harley riders, I've never had an issue and everyone has been great. Riding, like sports, tends to bring people together, regardless of our "lifestyles". I do enjoy that aspect as when I'm riding or interacting with other Harley riders, I'm dealing with people I typically don't deal with on a regular basis (which is refreshing). I deal with corporate stiffs on a daily basis and hanging with other Harley riders, whether at a bar or on the road is a nice escape from my Death of a Salesman existence lol.

Old 09-10-2018 | 02:08 PM
XRX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Harley isn’t a lifestyle. It’s a brand and make of motorcycle. Not sure how buying a Harley as opposed to a Honda or Moto Guzzi means you’re buying into a lifestyle. Lifestyles are defined by how one lives, not by the vehicle one owns or chooses to buy. The rebel outlaw lifestyle image harley pushes is all corporate marketing fluff. It’s just a bike, not a merit badge of some kind.
A-FREEKIN-MEN!!!

It absolutely amazes me that Harley can convince a bunch of followers that being a corporate brand lemming is somehow a way of being a unique individual.

Harley-Davidson is a truly amazing marketing corporation.

Old 09-10-2018 | 02:16 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Harley never lost its 'cool factor'. The bottom line is many millennials are sissy boys who wouldn't know 'cool' if it fell on em. As the old saying goes...If you have to try to be cool you ain't.
Depends on whom you talk to. The real truth is that most people who don’t ride don’t think Harley owners are cool, they think the majority are mostly obnoxious middle aged posers making a racket. For the most part, this is the truth. They might think the bike looks cool but that’s as far as it goes. They also know the difference between someone who is truly hardcore and badass like a Hells Angel or other outlaw and someone like most of us here who are just riding/ bike enthusiasts.
Originally Posted by XRX
A-FREEKIN-MEN!!!

It absolutely amazes me that Harley can convince a bunch of followers that being a corporate brand lemming is somehow a way of being a unique individual.

Harley-Davidson is a truly amazing marketing corporation.
nothing wrong with good marketing. It’s not a sin. It’s a business. HD is one of the most recognizable brands worldwide. They have done well with it . I am not bashing them. I love the bikes. I like some other bikes from other brands too. I just don’t buy bikes with image in mind .

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-19-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
The following users liked this post:
XRX (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018 | 02:46 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Depends on whom you talk to. The real truth is that most people who don’t ride don’t think Harley owners are cool, they think the majority are mostly obnoxious middle aged posers making a racket. For the most part, this is the truth. They might think the bike looks cool but that’s as far as it goes. They also know the difference between someone who is truly hardcore and badass like a Hells Angel or other outlaw and someone like most of us here who are just riding/ bike enthusiasts.
Depends on who you talk to. The real truth is that most people who don't ride don't think crotch rocket riders are cool, they think the majority are mostly obnoxious young morons creating dangerous traffic conditions For the most, this is the truth. They might think the bike looks cool but that's far as it goes. They also know the difference between someone who is truly a menace on the highway and someone like most of us here who are just riding/bike enthusiasts. ]

You're right....depends on who you talk to.

Old 09-10-2018 | 03:22 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
Yeah, but what about the sound? The lady featured in the article .........

...likes the HD sound:

Maybe HD could just start adding the stage 3 and 4 kits as standard equipment. You can't get the HD sound from 4 cylinders.
I didn’t say they had to get rid of the V-Twin across all product lines, I suggested they come out with a line without a V-Twin. Big difference there.

What is the majority conclusion that comes up in every single thread like this? People wanting higher performing stock engines! Create a few models without a V-Twin, yet with something that still has some vintage vibe to it with modern day performance. I’m sure the aftermarket can make those same engines bark something fierce if sound is all you’re concerned with, or just keep buying the V-Twins.

Old 09-10-2018 | 03:28 PM
XRX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

I didn’t say they had to get rid of the V-Twin across all product lines, I suggested they come out with a line without a V-Twin. Big difference there.

What is the majority conclusion that comes up in every single thread like this? People wanting higher performing stock engines! Create a few models without a V-Twin, yet with something that still has some vintage vibe to it with modern day performance. I’m sure the aftermarket can make those same engines bark something fierce if sound is all you’re concerned with, or just keep buying the V-Twins.
...or Harley-Davidson could make higher-performing V-twins. A lot of other manufacturers have been doing it for decades. The V-twin engine in the Panigale R puts out 209 emissions-legal horsepower, stock.

Old 09-10-2018 | 03:40 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by XRX
...or Harley-Davidson could make higher-performing V-twins. A lot of other manufacturers have been doing it for decades. The V-twin engine in the Panigale R puts out 209 emissions-legal horsepower, stock.
Ducati has been looking for a buyer. There was a rumor last year that HD was considering a merger. On the face of it, this would be a logical move as it would allow HD to circumvent a lot of R&D in the high performance engine department. Harley's issue isn't their existing designs. It is lack of appeal to a diverse market. Choices are good. Harley has always been a one-trick pony. I like classic v-twins. I don't need or want high performance and prefer classic styling and mellow cruising and touring. There is something out there for everyone and Harley really needs to expand their portfolio significantly for the future. Whether something like this could happen is open to debate but it would be better than trying to reinvent the wheel. There would be a lot of possibilities for growth with such an event.

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Depends on who you talk to. The real truth is that most people who don't ride don't think crotch rocket riders are cool, they think the majority are mostly obnoxious young morons creating dangerous traffic conditions For the most, this is the truth. They might think the bike looks cool but that's far as it goes. They also know the difference between someone who is truly a menace on the highway and someone like most of us here who are just riding/bike enthusiasts. ]

You're right....depends on who you talk to.

You're missing the point. Its not about the brand or style of bike. When people in the general public equate 'cool' with motorcycles, it is almost always the bikes themselves that gets the label rather than the rider. The rider is just seen as some anonymous accessory to the bike, not the other away around. Whether someone hates or loves motorcycles, their view of coolness likely has nothing at all to do with the rider. It is for this reason that someone using a motorcycle to convey an image or come across in a certain way is a case of looking for love in all the wrong places. Nobody cares you are riding a bike and will judge you based on how you act, not what you are riding. Respect is something earned, not purchased. Doesn't matter if you are doing wheelies through an intersection on a sportbike or blasting the **** out of your exhaust for no reason, if you act like a douche while riding, most people will see you as a douche.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-19-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-10-2018 | 03:52 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior

"Ten to 15 years ago, bikes with a lot of plastic were cool," Woodruff said. "Now it's bikes that look more naked."

I don't remember plastic parts on a motorcycle ever being cool. Cheap looking yes but not cool.

Old 09-10-2018 | 03:56 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

You're missing the point. Its not about the brand or style of bike...
I've not missed the point at all. The opinion of the author of the piece is that Harley is no longer cool because millennials don't buy it. Bullshit. Reality is for he most part they cannot afford them, as with all generations they think that anything connected to their parents isn't cool, etc. Trying to be cool by calling yourself different or a rebel has never changed, be it fat guys in vest with patches riding a certain brand of bike or man bun wearing, skinny jean purse toting sissies. Again, if you have to try to be cool...you ain't.

Quick Reply: News article: "Harley-Davidson tries to regain its coolness factor"