General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aches & Pains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:10 AM
RickyBobby77
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aches & Pains!

I'm a new rider at 40 years old, I know, mid-life yadda yadda, anyways, I took the class through HD and then went out and bought a 2018 FatBoy. So fun. So happy I did it. I've logged almost 2500 joy ride miles in the last 2 months I've had it. Here's my question: Why do I wake up the day after a ride and my legs are in so much pain I'm walking around like an 85 year old man? WTH?! Knees are aching, ankles hurting, sometimes up through my hamstring.

This bike fits me perfectly bone stock. I am completely comfortable when riding and when at a stop. I don't feel tense and cannot find the source of this pain while riding or coming to a stop. Is this normal? Does this happen to others? Before getting the bike I was running 20 miles a week. Now I can't even sit on the floor and stretch, let alone run.

I'm a typical stubborn *** man, so I keep getting on the bike everyday because I love it. What do I do?!

HELP,
RickyBobby77

Old 09-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,920 Likes on 19,370 Posts

Snap, Crackle and Pop doesn't refer to just cereal ...

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Captain Itch (09-10-2018), heavymetalthunder (09-10-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,429 Likes on 3,596 Posts

Well, if one is not used to riding I can see being a little sore, but not the the extent that you describe. Especially at your young age and being an avid runner. Sounds like you are determined to keep on riding. My guess is, it will go away after a period of conditioning.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:21 AM
RickyBobby77
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the reply. I have been hoping it goes away and that's why I keep riding. For now, it's all there really is to do. I was just hoping that 2 months and 2500 would have solved this by now. Thanks man! Take care.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:15 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Welcome! I was thinking that your just conditioning muscle memory for a different way to sit and hold your arms. A different stance the the typical car or chair. If so, then it just takes time.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,213 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Either the bike isn't set up properly for you or you're too tense when you ride.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Like riding a horse it takes conditioning. Try pre-ride stretching and stopping every 30-40 minutes for a quick stretch until you are conditioned.

I have bad knees from football and rodeoing in my younger years. For awhile I had highway pegs and noticed I was very sore using them. I took them off and the soreness went away. When on the highway and I need to change positions, I set the cruise and put both legs up on the crash bars for a few miles. Makes a huge difference for me.

After a year now back in the saddle after a few years off I can run from fill-up to fill-up without issues. But I do stretch out and walk around at the pumps. Hang in there.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:43 PM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Either the bike isn't set up properly for you or you're too tense when you ride.
Could be squeezing the tank with your legs and not realizing it.....

Old 09-09-2018, 08:45 PM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

You are using muscles you haven't used in a long while when riding, just like anything else, excessive use of muscle without conditioning results in aches and pains. It will go away after awhile.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,007 Likes on 17,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Snap, Crackle and Pop doesn't refer to just cereal ...
I heard that with my bad ear

OP You are middle aged, out of shape for what you trying to do suddenly and the body is just giving you due greif adjusting to all the new strains riding is subjecting it to. May not think it but you are using all kinda muscles and stretching stuff you never have before, you will toughen up eventually but you're gonna feel it for a while.

I suggest and I'm serious here you find a good workout routine for the winter that makes you use the legs and includes stretching. It will make a difference come spring.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-09-2018 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (09-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Aches & Pains!