General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aches & Pains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:30 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I do not disagree with anything posted however based on my personal experience those problems could be an indication of a lower back disc problem. For that I recommend a MRI and the advice of a neurosurgeon, not an orthopedic surgeon. Initially a much less complex solution which might solve your problem would be a back rest. As someone already suggested you could just try this by putting a packed luggage bag behind you on the passenger seat if you have a sissy bar or something to keep it pushed against your back. An actual installed backrest would be better.

Several posters have mentioned sciatica. Sciatica is a symptom of a damaged disc.

i guess I should add that I am not a doctor and this is only my opinion based on personal experience as a biker/rider, whatever. I have had back problems most of my life. I first broke my back in 1957 when I was 19 and I have ridden for over 60 years on everything from a shovel to a M8 and a hardtail to a softail, as well as a few other non Harley's. and loved sportster.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 09-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

Ibuprofen, water, pre/post ride stretching.

I am not a doctor and and generally follow the practice of if ibuprofen and Jack Daniels can't help it - then a doctor's visit is needed.

In all seriousness, after a while, your body should be able to get used to just about anything - but injuries and issues that need attention can get int he way.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX

Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

Do you NOT squeeze the tank with your legs? What the heck do you think Stompgrip is for?

I love this thread so much. It makes my leathers get tight in the front.

Is some stalker/troll corporate brand lemming going to accuse the OP of being my sock puppet?

The good news, is that there's nothing wrong with you.

The REAL problem, is that the ergonomics of your motorcycle are effed up.

It's completely comfortable at a stop, because it has the ergonomics of a sofa. The problem is, that motorcycles move.

With your feet out in front of you, you're not able to distribute your body weight.

I'd recommend trying something with better ergonomics...and better geometry...and better suspension...and 17" wheels...and better tires...and better brakes...and a better transmission...and a better horsepower-to-weight ratio.
Why are you on a Harley forum if you hate HD’s?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 137 Posts

Another suggestion that has worked for me (and I'm much older) is to take an Aleve prior to the ride as a preventative. I also take a glucosomine pill daily which has really helped with constant knee soreness.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,279 Likes on 10,094 Posts

For the pain, booze and oxycontin....sometimes both at once... just kidding man, do you do any weight training at the gym? If you are 40 you should start exercising, your muscle mass starts to decrease over 40. Nothing crazy, dont try to be a body builder, but start an exercise regimen.

Last edited by Super Glidester; 09-11-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:30 AM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon

Why are you on a Harley forum if you hate HD’s?
I don't hate Harleys. I actually came here because I'm looking to pick up a used one if I can get it to do what I need it to do.

Why would you say something like that?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,279 Likes on 10,094 Posts

^^^ Ok, the suspense is killing me " do what you need it to do means what?" let me guess, you are going to jump the fountain at Caesars palace right?...

Old 09-11-2018, 01:12 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Lots of good and a little bad advice on this thread. I hate to blame anything on "age", I'm almost 70 and I ride sportbikes on the street and on the track without a twinge. Just out of curiosity, are you taking any medications? Some medications, statin (anti-cholesterol) drugs in particular? These drugs can cause muscle pain and even breakdown, especially after exercise.

The following users liked this post:
XRX (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 01:36 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

How do you know the bike is set up perfect if it's your first one?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:02 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
I don't hate Harleys. I actually came here because I'm looking to pick up a used one if I can get it to do what I need it to do.

Why would you say something like that?
Because all your comments say something negative about them. Why don’t you take a few HD’s for a ride and then you might understand why their so popular.

Quick Reply: Aches & Pains!