General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aches & Pains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:02 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default from the medical side.

Originally Posted by RickyBobby77
I'm a new rider at 40 years old, I know, mid-life yadda yadda, anyways, I took the class through HD and then went out and bought a 2018 FatBoy. So fun. So happy I did it. I've logged almost 2500 joy ride miles in the last 2 months I've had it. Here's my question: Why do I wake up the day after a ride and my legs are in so much pain I'm walking around like an 85 year old man? WTH?! Knees are aching, ankles hurting, sometimes up through my hamstring.

This bike fits me perfectly bone stock. I am completely comfortable when riding and when at a stop. I don't feel tense and cannot find the source of this pain while riding or coming to a stop. Is this normal? Does this happen to others? Before getting the bike I was running 20 miles a week. Now I can't even sit on the floor and stretch, let alone run.

I'm a typical stubborn *** man, so I keep getting on the bike everyday because I love it. What do I do?!

HELP,
RickyBobby77
Try icing your low back after a long ride - maybe take 800 mg of ibuprofen with food - see how you feel afterwards. I don't know you/your physical condition but lots of factors can play into pain and inflammation. As a neuro-muscular therapist I say "start easy" get in RIDING shape, eat right, get plenty of rest and don't just get on a bike and start killing the miles - work up to distances just like a runner would. Remember good suspension and proper seating if paramount to comfort not just during the ride but after as well. Ask any horse owner/rider. after this a good physical would be important.

Last edited by sportglide; 09-10-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:16 AM
oldsoldier181
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,586 Likes on 4,795 Posts

Advil. Drink water. Keep pushing through.
That was the advice I always followed as a soldier.
Of course, now the VA takes care of me, so, my advice may not be the best advice.... .

Seriously though, when I do long rides, my knees ache at the end of the day, even after years of riding. MY bike is set up just fine, but being in one position, that long, does take its toll. As others said, shorter rides, with a stretch in between, may help you.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBobby77
I'm a new rider at 40 years old, I know, mid-life yadda yadda, anyways, I took the class through HD and then went out and bought a 2018 FatBoy. So fun. So happy I did it. I've logged almost 2500 joy ride miles in the last 2 months I've had it. Here's my question: Why do I wake up the day after a ride and my legs are in so much pain I'm walking around like an 85 year old man? WTH?! Knees are aching, ankles hurting, sometimes up through my hamstring.

This bike fits me perfectly bone stock. I am completely comfortable when riding and when at a stop. I don't feel tense and cannot find the source of this pain while riding or coming to a stop. Is this normal? Does this happen to others? Before getting the bike I was running 20 miles a week. Now I can't even sit on the floor and stretch, let alone run.

I'm a typical stubborn *** man, so I keep getting on the bike everyday because I love it. What do I do?!

HELP,
RickyBobby77
This is not intended with any disrespect but you say "you ride everyday?" I'll assume this was a slight exaggeration since two months = 60 days, so 2500 mile/60 =42 miles per day or maybe a hour a day. Can't believe the symptoms you are displaying are from this minimum amount of riding unless you are REALLY REALLY REALLY doing something wrong. Don't know what, but others have mentioned many possible reeasons. However, it has to be something physical, either with you or the bike.

JFYI, I'm a fairly new rider also (with a few more years on you at age 76) and after a long ride I also come home with some aches and pains and often need a nap (At my age I think I deserve one). I have been putting on 200-300 miles a week, mostly in one or two longer trips indispursed with short rides and a lot of Slow PLP to improve my slow speed manuvering. Last March I had back Surgery after a number of months of severe pain in my right leg that left it very weak. So, in between riding, every M,W & F I hit the gym for an hour to do exercies specifically designed to strengthen my back and legs. And, I also had to do a lot to my Cherry to make it comfortable to ride so it wasn't so much work for me to ride (Lowered, seat, handlebar position, etc.),

Also, I will often find that I will tense up because of traffic or road conditions and have to consentrate real hard to relax while in the saddle. The ride needs to be enjoyable and not a chore.

The following users liked this post:
moose545 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,809 Likes on 6,703 Posts

FYI

I have an appointment with my massage therapist today. It's part of my pain management. One day I might be able to ride again.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Some folks are calling it conditioning. You're a new rider building muscle memory and muscles you hardly ever used are getting a workout. More time in the saddle will help.

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:55 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,914 Likes on 2,438 Posts

Its a few things... I have an 18 FB114.. Your in a position your not used to.. The bars may be a bit of a reach.. My most obvious 02... The seat SUCKS. I guarantee, change the seat and most of this goes away.. Ask me how I know..

Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 3,634 Posts

After the long northern winters, my first few spring rides find me popping more Ibuprofen than usual. As others have said, try and pay a little attention to if you are tensed up whole in the saddle.
Also, over time yes, your muscles should adjust.
Oh and BTW, congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum !!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:05 AM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

OP, in my opinion you are probably riding tense or experiencing sciatica. If you had been running 20 miles a week, and are now riding 40 +/- miles per day for a couple of months, your muscles should be used to this activity by now.

As another had suggested, try a makeshift backrest and then make certain you are relaxed. No hunched shoulders, loose grip on handlebars, no clenched butt, and no gripping tank with inner thighs.

If not familiar with sciatica, look it up, as it could likely be the pain you are experiencing in your legs.

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:36 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 607 Likes on 441 Posts

Are you backing up the bike a lot? or moving it forward with Flintstone power? It could be pushing that weight is doing it. I bought a Sporster after not riding for 20 some years. on the way home my left hip started to ache. I kept riding and it kept hurting. I figured I had a bad hip. Mentioned it to my doctor and she said it sounds like sciatica. Gave me some exercises to do. They helped a lot. How long ago did you stop running?

Old 09-10-2018, 09:08 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,330 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Maybe join a gym and start working out........................

Quick Reply: Aches & Pains!