General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aches & Pains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Stretching and Advil will help, once your muscles get used to things a little more they’ll settle down

Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Take shorter rides. Take more frequent breaks. Stretch and walk around while stopped. Your body is talking to you... listen. When I was your age, I could do a 150-mile enduro with no pain, but a new street bike put cramps in parts I didn't know I had after a hundred miles. It will come, just don't burn out and don't push yourself into doing something stupid and hurting yourself. Sitting on a road bike, tensed-up in a fixed position, for two or three hours puts stress on your body like nothing else I can think of. You haven't had that bike long enough to learn to relax yet.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:21 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBobby77
I'm a new rider at 40 years old, I know, mid-life yadda yadda, anyways, I took the class through HD and then went out and bought a 2018 FatBoy. So fun. So happy I did it. I've logged almost 2500 joy ride miles in the last 2 months I've had it. Here's my question: Why do I wake up the day after a ride and my legs are in so much pain I'm walking around like an 85 year old man? WTH?! Knees are aching, ankles hurting, sometimes up through my hamstring.

This bike fits me perfectly bone stock. I am completely comfortable when riding and when at a stop. I don't feel tense and cannot find the source of this pain while riding or coming to a stop. Is this normal? Does this happen to others? Before getting the bike I was running 20 miles a week. Now I can't even sit on the floor and stretch, let alone run.

I'm a typical stubborn *** man, so I keep getting on the bike everyday because I love it. What do I do?!

HELP,
RickyBobby77
You answered your question in your first sentence. You are a new rider and whether you realize it or not, it takes time to condition yourself to doing something that you are not used to doing The more you ride, the less uncomfortable you'll be.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

I was going to agree with the others who said that your body just needs to get used to riding, but if you have been riding several times a week for two months, I would think your body would have gotten used to it by now. So, I am going to agree with those who said there must be something wrong with your riding technique. Have a more experienced rider ride with you and see if he can spot the issue(s).

Old 09-09-2018, 09:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,010 Likes on 17,911 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
I was going to agree with the others who said that your body just needs to get used to riding, but if you have been riding several times a week for two months, I would think your body would have gotten used to it by now. So, I am going to agree with those who said there must be something wrong with your riding technique. Have a more experienced rider ride with you and see if he can spot the issue(s).
Not necessarily, known newbie riders who were still so tense 6 months later their shoulders touched their ear lobes after a ride. I'm betting the confidence levels are still low so he's tensed up & straining subconsciously. Hell I had a week or two of it when I went over to the RK off the shovel, was a big change in everything to re-adjust to, could definitely feel it .

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 09:35 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by sechracer
Could be squeezing the tank with your legs and not realizing it.....
Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

Do you NOT squeeze the tank with your legs? What the heck do you think Stompgrip is for?

I love this thread so much. It makes my leathers get tight in the front.

Is some stalker/troll corporate brand lemming going to accuse the OP of being my sock puppet?

Originally Posted by RickyBobby77
I'm a new rider at 40 years old, I know, mid-life yadda yadda, anyways, I took the class through HD and then went out and bought a 2018 FatBoy. So fun. So happy I did it. I've logged almost 2500 joy ride miles in the last 2 months I've had it. Here's my question: Why do I wake up the day after a ride and my legs are in so much pain I'm walking around like an 85 year old man? WTH?! Knees are aching, ankles hurting, sometimes up through my hamstring.

This bike fits me perfectly bone stock. I am completely comfortable when riding and when at a stop. I don't feel tense and cannot find the source of this pain while riding or coming to a stop. Is this normal? Does this happen to others? Before getting the bike I was running 20 miles a week. Now I can't even sit on the floor and stretch, let alone run.

I'm a typical stubborn *** man, so I keep getting on the bike everyday because I love it. What do I do?!

HELP,
RickyBobby77
The good news, is that there's nothing wrong with you.

The REAL problem, is that the ergonomics of your motorcycle are effed up.

It's completely comfortable at a stop, because it has the ergonomics of a sofa. The problem is, that motorcycles move.

With your feet out in front of you, you're not able to distribute your body weight.

I'd recommend trying something with better ergonomics...and better geometry...and better suspension...and 17" wheels...and better tires...and better brakes...and a better transmission...and a better horsepower-to-weight ratio.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-10-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts

Could be that the softail with forward controls is causing you to ride with your spine bent forward, not great posture. This may be putting pressure on the sciatic nerve. When you stop your posture changes and the pain goes away. I ain't no doctor but I wouldn't rule this out. You could try a makeshift backrest using a dufflebag stuffed with pillows or something similar and try riding with your back supported as an experiment. If the pain persists you'll know that isn't the problem. If it does you could try a backrest. Just a thought.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:53 PM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

Do you NOT squeeze the tank with your legs? What the heck do you think Stompgrip is for?
No I do NOT squeeze with my legs. I have my bike set up so I don't need to and can ride comfortably. Very rarely are my feet not on my highway pegs.... Also, I ride a touring bike, not a rocket......

Last edited by sechracer; 09-09-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:49 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,809 Likes on 6,703 Posts

It's probably a case of getting unused muscles into shape. Increase your plain water intake. Take Motrin. Do a lot of stretching and incorporate a mild workout.

How tall are you? What is your inseam?

If you are above average height, you may experience symptoms you describe. They make floorboard relocation kits that move your floorboards more forward for you to stretch out if the problem is your legs are too scrunched up for extended rides.

Changing the seat could help as well as a change of handlebars or risers.

While you are riding, change the position of your feet. That is one of the main advantages of floorboards, is not being locked into one position.

Ignore the power ranger idiot that is on this forum strictly to bash Harley Davidson. His user name starts with an X.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:05 AM
vonh12
Road Warrior
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

I usually stop every hour to stretch. Advil is your friend!!. Also try riding a little slower. You might relax more.

Quick Reply: Aches & Pains!