Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just wanted to vent a little...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,478 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I can't reach in and turn the filter 1/2 - 3/4 turn after the gasket makes contact so I use a socket on the KN filter and turn it 1/2 turn. Never had a leak or a problem getting it off. But I have something similar to this if I find a stubborn filter, $10 and peace of mind.
https://www.motosport.com/product/?c...ource=Bing_PLA

Last edited by Vernal; 09-08-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Mikhailov
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by pei_guy
Hey all! A little rant if you don't mind. Got home from work last night and thought I'd change the oil in the bike before going back to work. Starting off, couldn't figure out where the drain plug was (sounds like I'm an idiot, I know but it was my first oil change on this bike). Found that, dropped the oil out, then moved up to the filter. A little backstory, the dealer where I got the bike was the same one I bought my last bike from. Went to change the oil in that last summer and couldn't get the filter off that one either. Not sure if they over tightened or didn't put any oil around the seal, either way I destroyed that filter getting it off. Back to last night,same thing again! Full disclosure: I since haven't bought a strap wrench or something other than a cap wrench to remove a filter so this is partly my fault. Anyway, still haven't got the filter off and its full of holes from a screwdriver (leading to a nice oil stain on the garage floor). Gonna hit up the local auto parts store this morning and grab some more tools to get it off.Hopefully this won't happen next time, bought a K&N with the nut on the end for a wrench. If you've had the patience to read all this, thanks for letting me vent. Have a good Saturday.
Life will go a LOT smoother for you if you obtain a service manual for your bike and read ahead in the correct section before you take stuff apart. They will also pay for themselves in reduced need to visit the dealer in Moncton for stuff. There are lots of different publishers so you will need to post a thread on this subject or google. They take you through a step by step process with diagrams and pictures for every conceivable maintenance item from clutch replacement, fork oil change, to an engine oil change.

Last edited by Mikhailov; 09-08-2018 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pei_guy (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Ezridr60
Tourer

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Next time you have a problem getting the oil filter to loosen up cut off a strip of sandpaper and loop that around the filter and then put the strap wrench on it. This ain't rocket surgery. You just gotta' be smarter than the oil filter!
a little different approach with the sandpaper. Get some 60 grit adhesive backed paper. Cut strips wide enough to fit the strap wrench. Clean the strap with alcohol to remove any oily residue, line the strap with the 60 grit. Works great, been using the same setup for years.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 AM
06Roadie
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man do I feel your pain. I bought a 14 ultra and when I checked with the dealer who did the last service, the oil was only at 2500 miles but it was 2.5 years old so I decided to change it right away. Some moron had to have put that filter on with an impact.... finally was able to break it free on my back with a large set of channel locks... talk about frustrated... holes poked, oil everywhere.. nightmare!

The following users liked this post:
pei_guy (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 12:00 PM
pei_guy
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Update: I got it off! Haha made a trip to the auto parts and picked up a strap wrench yesterday morning. After work I went at it and the damn filter was still stubborn but it came after quite a twist. Got the new one on and topped up the oil and took it for a little ride, everything seems good. At least the next time it should be easier with the K&N and if its too tight, it's my fault this time. Thanks for all the tips boys, much appreciated!

Old 09-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,738 Likes on 2,008 Posts

And this is why I do my own oil changes. I’ve been where you are and won’t do it again.