Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just wanted to vent a little...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:34 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,286 Likes on 6,031 Posts

another tip.... to clean the oil off your garage floor, get a bag of plain old kitty litter. spread a little on the oil spot/stain.... let it soak up a bit. Cat litter is clay...grind it into the oil spot/stain with your foot. This will break the clay down into a dust, which will wick up the oil from the pores of the concrete. A little messy, but once you sweep and clean up, the stain will be gone, along with any traces of oil.
I always change my oil on a warm engine.... this makes sure the all contaminants and junk are in the oil, it flows faster and gives me another reason to ride!! You have good tips above, use 'em and you will improve your skills.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spartanden:
pei_guy (09-08-2018), tar_snake (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:00 AM
pfnork66
Cruiser

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

After your finished with this oil change look to the next time and take a look at what DK Custom does to solve all of these problems.

I did their relocation kit and have never been happier!

The following users liked this post:
pei_guy (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:10 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Hard to believe that a dealer would hose up a simple oil change, especially twice in a row but stranger things happen. IDK what bike you have but with the touring bikes there is little room to get anything around the filter for removal. Smooth move with K&N and I will only use them. Best of luck going forward. Let us know how it goes with getting that one off. It might help someone else going forward.
The dealer isnt totally at fault , well ok they hired the tech.
The tech is the last guy to have done some actual work to the bike and thus possibly knorcked it up.
My 02 Ultra had issues with the cps sensor being to tall and that one had to remove the sensor in order to get that filter off.
Eventually I had to change out the cps and found that the new ones where shorter and thus allowed free removal of said oil filter with much ease.
Aside from dribbling oil upon removal and re-install of a pre-lubed oil filter.
Hey pei_guy, hows bud the spud doin?

Rob

pei_guy (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:41 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
another tip.... to clean the oil off your garage floor, get a bag of plain old kitty litter. spread a little on the oil spot/stain.... let it soak up a bit. Cat litter is clay...grind it into the oil spot/stain with your foot. This will break the clay down into a dust, which will wick up the oil from the pores of the concrete. A little messy, but once you sweep and clean up, the stain will be gone, along with any traces of oil.
Yes.

Every Harley owner should have a big bag of kitty litter.

pei_guy (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,063 Likes on 512 Posts

Three simple words: Hand Tighten Only

pei_guy (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 03:44 PM
pei_guy
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
The dealer isnt totally at fault , well ok they hired the tech.
The tech is the last guy to have done some actual work to the bike and thus possibly knorcked it up.
My 02 Ultra had issues with the cps sensor being to tall and that one had to remove the sensor in order to get that filter off.
Eventually I had to change out the cps and found that the new ones where shorter and thus allowed free removal of said oil filter with much ease.
Aside from dribbling oil upon removal and re-install of a pre-lubed oil filter.
Hey pei_guy, hows bud the spud doin?

Rob
Bud's not bad at all haha soon be time to dig some out of the ground!

Old 09-08-2018, 03:54 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
If you have the proper filter socket they come very easy i would invest in the proper tools prior to starting any maintenance or repair
If you're referring to the HD endcap oil filter wrench (part # 94863-10), I had a devil of a time getting the filter off for a first oil change on not one but two HDs with this almost useless gizmo. Maybe the overtight oil filter is a factory thing. Now I won't use anything but a K&N filter with the 17mm nut on the top.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 09-08-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo, hate em
Old 09-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,478 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I bought a strap wrench in the early seventies, I was a teenager. If the filter doesn’t want to budge with any other type filter wrench I stop and get the strap. Works great on HD too.

Lesson I learned early on was never purposely put a hole in a oil filter. Ymmv.

pei_guy (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 08:48 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,838 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Next time you have a problem getting the oil filter to loosen up cut off a strip of sandpaper and loop that around the filter and then put the strap wrench on it. This ain't rocket surgery. You just gotta' be smarter than the oil filter!

Vernal (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:13 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 843 Posts

these work for getting off a a stuck filter. Can only rotate 1-2cm at a time, but once its loose, pull it off then use your hand to loosen. Install new filter and only hand tighten per manual
-

I have a rubber strap wrench too, but if filter is tight it wont work - had Jackson, MS Harley do that to a filter on a tour.

Last edited by F150HD; 09-08-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Just wanted to vent a little...