General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger sliding around

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:12 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Obviously. ....

Old 09-08-2018, 11:04 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Yes..........riding on the back of a GSXR on the track is exactly like riding on the back of a Dyna on the street.
SHHH! He's "teaching"....

Old 09-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,247 Likes on 3,442 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Do you know what the word "expert" means? It doesn't mean that I invented the principles of motorcycling. It doesn't mean that I have authored a doctorate-level dissertation on the subject. And it doesn't mean that you need to get all butt hurt whenever you realize that I know something that you don't. The word "expert" just means that I know more than the average person, which means that I'm able to help the average person. So unless you have an extremely fragile ego, why would you NOT want an expert?

And assless chaps are not safety gear- they're a costume. Anyone on a road-going motorcycle should be covered from the neck down in dead cow.

OK so I took your advice and covered myself from the neck down in dead cow.

Preliminary results were encouraging; my countersteering skills improved immensely as I had to avoid the hordes of dogs that started following me.for some reason.

But then the wasps caught my scent. Two hundred stings and an ER visit later, I've decided that maybe motorcycling isn't my thing.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:16 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Do you know what the word "expert" means?...
I believe an 'ex' is a nothing and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:57 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
I believe an 'ex' is a nothing and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure.

Can we get a ruling on this?

I was going to ask the resident expert RHPAW for his input based on the advice he gave here but I see the edit button has been getting a workout at the mod lounge. Thank God HDF has turned into a safe space to prevent butt hurt.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-08-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:36 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes..........riding on the back of a GSXR on the track is exactly like riding on the back of a Dyna on the street.
The physics involved, apply to all motorcycles, regardless of whether they were assembled by Harley-Davidson or not.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

XRX just pay your $25 and go give them Hell in the POD. Your BS here is tiring.

The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 05:14 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
The physics involved, apply to all motorcycles, regardless of whether they were assembled by Harley-Davidson or not.
Yes and No. On a GSXR the passenger is practically glued to the rider, both in an aggressive position. The passengers body weight can be placed somewhat on the pegs for stability because they are above the pegs. And hopefully the bike has grab handles for the pillion because holding on to the rider isn't a good idea. As such, you won't ever see a passenger sliding around on the seat which is a good thing because there just isn't any place to go but off the back. Which I have seen. Usually it's because some guy who thinks he's the world's most amazing rider feels comfortable accelerating hard enough that they couldn't get the front wheel down until about 150-160 mph on the front straight, and then braking hard enough at 170 mph to be dancing the rear wheel. I don't know what kind of guy does that. My guess is one who thinks more of himself than his passenger.

The Dyna passenger, on the other hand, is in a relaxed riding position leaning back against the back rest and feet out front. There isn't as much leverage there to keep her (or him) from sliding around. They really can't place any body weight on those pegs. Sure, most pillions adapt and figure it out. I honestly have never seen a thread about a passenger sliding around before. And I sure as hell never considered spraying anything on any seat I have ever had when a simple sheepskin will solve the problem and provide extra comfort as well.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:57 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes and No. On a GSXR the passenger is practically glued to the rider, both in an aggressive position. The passengers body weight can be placed somewhat on the pegs for stability because they are above the pegs. And hopefully the bike has grab handles for the pillion because holding on to the rider isn't a good idea. As such, you won't ever see a passenger sliding around on the seat which is a good thing because there just isn't any place to go but off the back. Which I have seen.
I've never lost a girl off the back.

The Dyna passenger, on the other hand, is in a relaxed riding position leaning back against the back rest and feet out front. There isn't as much leverage there to keep her (or him) from sliding around. They really can't place any body weight on those pegs.
If there's a problem with the ergonomics, then the correct solution is to fix the ergonomics.

[quote]Usually it's because some guy who thinks he's the world's most amazing rider feels comfortable accelerating hard enough that they couldn't get the front wheel down until about 150-160 mph on the front straight, and then braking hard enough at 170 mph to be dancing the rear wheel. I don't know what kind of guy does that. My guess is one who thinks more of himself than his passenger.

Spare me your hand-wringing angst, Nancy.

I've never claimed to be "the world's most amazing rider". I've never even claimed to be fast. On my best day, I'd be a mid-pack expert.

I took her out during a private session on a track day, she wears $3,000 of safety gear when she's on her bike or on the back of mine, and she asked me to take her out. We lapped nearly 10 seconds a lap off my race pace, and about 15 seconds a lap off of the lap record- I think we were pretty conservative in terms of her safety and mine.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Watching the sidecar racers is pretty amazing. The passengers really do move around a bunch.

Quick Reply: Passenger sliding around