General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger sliding around

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX

Then fix the suspension by installing the correct fork springs for the combined weight of the motorcycle and everything on it.

Then fix the ergonomics of the motorcycle so that you're not making unintended steering inputs that stand the bike up on the brakes.

Too hot for what? Too hot for the available traction, too hot for the available ground clearance? Braking reduces both.
Rather than redesigning the bike I'll just ride it as it was intended to be ridden. And in the rare instance that I need to apply brakes once into a corner, I'll use what works - the back brake. Simple solution for a simple (and rare) problem. The key is not riding over one's skill level and leaving a little margin of error for what ifs.

Serious question - Do you even ride a Harley? Legit question because for all your "expertise" you don't seem to know much about them. They do not have anti dive forks and putting in a stiffer spring doesn't change that. It simply firms it up, which may or may not be the desired result on a given bike or application. As far as the rest, the limiting factor on a most Harleys is cornering clearance - period. It comes into play well before traction becomes an issue. And applying the back brake (judiciously) does nothing to reduce cornering clearance.

You may be a guru on the track - who knows? You kinda sorta seem to know what you're talking about, but I don't race, nor have I done any track days on a bike, so you could be amazing or you could be FOS far as I know. But most here are smelling bullshit.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nytryder (09-11-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 02:53 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Rather than redesigning the bike I'll just ride it as it was intended to be ridden. And in the rare instance that I need to apply brakes once into a corner, I'll use what works - the back brake. Simple solution for a simple (and rare) problem. The key is not riding over one's skill level and leaving a little margin of error for what ifs.

Serious question - Do you even ride a Harley? Legit question because for all your "expertise" you don't seem to know much about them. They do not have anti dive forks and putting in a stiffer spring doesn't change that. It simply firms it up, which may or may not be the desired result on a given bike or application. As far as the rest, the limiting factor on a most Harleys is cornering clearance - period. It comes into play well before traction becomes an issue. And applying the back brake (judiciously) does nothing to reduce cornering clearance.

You may be a guru on the track - who knows? You kinda sorta seem to know what you're talking about, but I don't race, nor have I done any track days on a bike, so you could be amazing or you could be FOS far as I know. But most here are smelling bullshit.
Most condescending know-it-alls know a little, but think it's a lot. Sorta like our pal, Haarley, who just knows he's Racer-X, if all us old farts would just give him the track... er, I mean "road".

My guess is XRX races on the Xbox.

The following 2 users liked this post by QNman:
nevada72 (09-07-2018), nytryder (09-11-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 04:50 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

He has a good explanation. I just get confused halfway through reading it......

Lol

Old 09-07-2018, 04:53 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by QNman
Most condescending know-it-alls know a little, but think it's a lot. Sorta like our pal, Haarley, who just knows he's Racer-X, if all us old farts would just give him the track... er, I mean "road".

My guess is XRX races on the Xbox.
Maybe. Of all the people that I know that are truly fast (cars or bikes), I can't think of one that has to shout it from the rooftops. Or post it on the internet anyway. There are a few folks here on HDF that actually have fairly impressive credentials when it comes to speed. But you sure wouldn't know it by their posts. Most are pretty humble and understate their abilities by quite a bit.

On the other hand I have ridden with a few folks who talked up their riding quite a bit. They usually get "lost" (off the back oddly enough) before lunch and we never hear from them again except for maybe a feeble excuse like tire pressure issues or some ****. Pretty funny actually.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:55 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Maybe. Of all the people that I know that are truly fast (cars or bikes), I can't think of one that has to shout it from the rooftops. Or post it on the internet anyway. There are a few folks here on HDF that actually have fairly impressive credentials when it comes to speed. But you sure wouldn't know it by their posts. Most are pretty humble and understate their abilities by quite a bit.

On the other hand I have ridden with a few folks who talked up their riding quite a bit. They usually get "lost" (off the back oddly enough) before lunch and we never hear from them again except for maybe a feeble excuse like tire pressure issues or some ****. Pretty funny actually.
You and I clearly know the same kinds of people... seems most groups have some of each.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:04 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
He has a good explanation. I just get confused halfway through reading it......

Lol
I tried to break it up into paragraphs.

Here's a classic example, involving a squid lacking proper safety gear, who obviously lacks sufficient formal rider training. There is slow-motion sequence, which makes it easier to observe.

He fails to look in the direction of his apex after he reaches his turn-in point, which causes him to get lost in the corner, and he panics even though he could have easily made the turn just by steering. He fails to steer effectively, freezes up on the bars, target fixates, and attempts to use the rear brake while in motion. Predictably, the rear tire locks up, the rear end steps out, his foot comes off of rear brake lever, the rear tire suddenly regains traction while the bike is still sideways, the bike snaps bolt upright, flicking the squid up and over the high side of the motorcycle and into the guardrail, and the motorcycle then follows him.

Same corner, same problem, same results:

I have seen this same pattern, over, and over, and over, and over. It is really tragic, because it has never been easier to obtain competent rider training.

...and again...

...and again...

To attempt to drag this thread back on topic, here is an example of a chick with no particular training as a passenger, that was then given a few minutes of coaching before putting her on the back of a Superbike to go do a 170mph lap of COTA.

She used the technique I described previously. There was no sliding backwards on the pillion pad even while wheelieing, no sliding forward and crashing into the rider even under braking harder than 99% of street motorcyclists will ever experience, and no banging helmets into each other.

There's another video where he took out a 91 year old woman on the back. If she can do it, then anyone can.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-10-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Yup...........I'm thinking MikeR1.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Yup! Sarcasm was lost on him too...

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:19 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Another FOS poser. His riding abilities are proven on the special chair in front of his gaming computer. He's one of those gamers claiming to be athletes. <<<<<cross thread points, please.
What was it that I heard the other day by a front end builder? I probably have more miles backing up to the curb than this clown has riding

Old 09-08-2018, 08:07 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes..........riding on the back of a GSXR on the track is exactly like riding on the back of a Dyna on the street.

Quick Reply: Passenger sliding around