General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger sliding around

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Learning is fun.

It turns out that the Iron Butt DOES publish statistics on the motorcycles used in Iron Butt Rallies:

https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm

It was an interesting document. 24 pages long. Lots of fun facts. I found this to be the most interesting part:

[B]

That's:

511 BMWs
356 Hondas
181 Yamahas

...and 63 Harleys.

So out of 1258 motorcycles entries, Harleys represent about 5% of them.

And more than 30% of the Harleys entered, did not finish.

Which is about what I expected.
Wait a sec..........you said Harleys were uncomfortable and you never see them on the road? At all. Except on trailers. But here are 63 of them in a gruling rally, which is more than I would have expected.

And my, you certainly are desperate to try and prove a point. Which you didn't. The Iron Butt Rally is, yes - a rally. As I mentioned before, that is not the forte of riding a large relaxing touring bike.Not to say they don't compete. They do and again, it's more about the rider than the bike. It's an endurance test of human strength. These days many bikes will make it, but sure.......some do it better than others and BMW makes a great bike. That said, again, it's about the rider. We have a number of members here who have done the Hoka Hey (look it up), one noteworthy example (Ironass) rode it on a Springer Softail. MY guess is he would just be getting his second wind while you would be on the side of the road with ice on your sack and tears on your cheeks. Other than him there are a ton of riders who are part of the IBA here. One guy has a thread about doing the lower 48 in 10 days. All we get from you is how you do wheelies with your swimsuit model wife on the back. Clue - no one is impressed.

But you will never get it no matter what facts are placed in front of you. You have a mindset that you are doing it the "right" way and the rest of us are doing it wrong. You have an incredibly narrow view on what riding is. Let me clue you in - you don't know as much as you think you do. I gave you a chance to turn your **** show around on a different thread. Clearly you are not here to get along and learn anything because you know everything.

Good luck with that. I predict you will join MikeR1 and Hawaiian Guy at banned camp fairly soon and be removed from the forum entirely because, other than comic relief, you have little to offer.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-11-2018 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Thanks. I hadn't finished my morning coffee yet.

I corrected my post.

11 of the 16 used BMWs. Only one of the 16 did it all on a Harley. Is that better?
I probably just missed it - how many were on a ‘Busa? And wouldn’t a sport touring motorcycle come with bags?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,966 Likes on 5,919 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman

I probably just missed it - how many were on a ‘Busa? And wouldn’t a sport touring motorcycle come with bags?
You might be surprised.

• ACCESSORIES & LUGGAGE
KTM know its customers like to modify and to travel, which is why the PowerParts range boasts a huge variety of accessories and luggage options across its Street range of sportmotorcycles – past and present. All PowerParts are developed alongside their chosen machine, meaning that KTM riders only get parts that perfectly complement their ride and provide that important ‘factory fit’ straight from the dealer.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
You might be surprised.
Don't insult us KTM riders by comparing them to a ghetto rat ride like a Busa.

Ghetto wannabe "sport touring" bike

Real Sport Touring bike -

But seriously, there have been a few threads on folks toughing it out touring on a Busa. Not one of them said it was a good way to go. It's NOT a sport touring bike like the FIGJAM says. It's a go fast, purpose built rocket. It does one, and only one thing well. Which figures because XRX's absurdly narrow understanding of riding only factors speed. My guess is he really rides a clapped out 76 Honda CB360 and is trying to be somebody he's not in front of folks he hopes won't know any better.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-11-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,966 Likes on 5,919 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Don't insult us KTM riders by comparing them to a ghetto rat ride like a Busa.

Ghetto wannabe "sport touring" bike

Real Sport Touring bike -
Obviously no offense was intended. I was just making the point that unlike Harley touring bikes, many sport tourers don't necessarily come with bags, or hard installed bags. Also, I didn't know you had a KTM. 1290 Duke? and if so how do you like it?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:51 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Obviously no offense was intended. I was just making the point that unlike Harley touring bikes, many sport tourers don't necessarily come with bags, or hard installed bags. Also, I didn't know you had a KTM. 1290 Duke? and if so how do you like it?
We're always good, you know that.

The 1290 Super Duke GT is on my short list for next spring. However I have had a number of KTMs. Here's my last one in Moab -

Unlike the OP who posts up pics he probably found on the net, I can post my bikes. I have some with me on it if proof were required.

Redoilokie (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:03 AM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

But seriously, there have been a few threads on folks toughing it out touring on a Busa. Not one of them said it was a good way to go. It's NOT a sport touring bike. It's a go fast, purpose built rocket. It does one, and only one thing well.
A lot of people who've never ridden a Hayabusa say stuff like that. They have some myopic view of it as being this angry fire-breathing 200 mph monster with the steering locked straight ahead and the throttle wired wide-open. In reality, the Hayabusa is actually an incredibly calm and versatile motorcycle. I used mine for everything from my motorcycle endorsement test to obtaining my expert road racing license. I commuted with it every day, as my sole means of all-weather transportation, 365 days a year. I did my grocery shopping with it. My wife and I have used it for sport touring, to include 1,000-mile days. And they won't do 200 mph actual, stock.

MCN lists the Hayabusa in their Sport Touring section. From their review of the Hayabusa:

...it remains a supremely comfortably long range missile...

As a sports-tourer, the GSX1300R Hayabusa is definitely more touring than sporty...

…fairing on the Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa works very well, not only at punching holes in the atmosphere at 180mph, but at keeping some bad weather off the rider too, but the new version is better still. Good headlight, comfy rider and pillion accommodation, four bungee hooks and some underseat storage - plus throwover panniers can be made to fit all total up to make the Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa a capable tourer. Excellent grabrail too.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...hayabusa/1999/

Maybe it is you that needs to open his eyes.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:37 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
The ergonomics would be good if you were just sitting on a sofa, but we're talking about actually riding, on a motorcycle, and the ergonomics are not good for riding on a motorcycle. And they are uncomfortable, that's why on long trips, I see almost all of the Harleys on trailers, not actually being ridden.

I have a friend who has an old Yamaha 1000 cc I believe. We were sitting around one day and he decides we should race to Daytona for beers. I replied no, but I will race for beers to Atlanta. Haven't heard a word since. You remind me of my friend, except he isn't an *******, and he actually owns and rides a motorcycle.

skid_pimp (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:37 AM
XRX
Road Captain

Since this thread went off the rails right about here:

Originally Posted by sailmotion
You raise an interesting point. I wonder if Iron Butt Association would share with the general public the type of bike used for their various challenges (make and model, if I recall correctly, are noted on the application). I'd bet dollars to donuts there are way more Ultras, RK's, Goldwings, etc. then there are Ninja's or sport bikes.
Is there some way of splitting it there and moving it to Off Topic?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM
XRX
Road Captain

...proved that most Iron Butt riders are on Harleys...
No. Upon closer inspection, it has now been proven, by objectively quantifiable references from the actual source, easily verifiable by anyone, that most Iron Butt riders are NOT on Harleys. The Iron Butt Association themselves say that only 5% of Iron Butt riders were on Harleys. And of that 5%, only about 3% actually finished the rally.

And as mentioned, there's even more than that. The BMW riders mentioned are all old school hardcore mileage freaks. That's all they do. It has nothing to do with the quality of the bike. It's again, more about the breed of rider.
Hardcore riders tend to choose hardcore motorcycles.

Quick Reply: Passenger sliding around