General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger sliding around

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:05 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazador
Watching the sidecar racers is pretty amazing. The passengers really do move around a bunch.
Yes, they do. They appear to have handles all over the place. It wasn't necessarily what we went to the Isle of Man TT to see, but those guys work really hard. They wring the **** out of those little 600 engines, they only have about 2" of suspension travel, and passing can be really difficult because they're so wide.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Come on now XRX, post up some of those racing picks. We know that you have them. Your ego is too big to not have a room fully decorated in pictures of yourself.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cazador:
Bonnie Storm (09-08-2018), nytryder (09-11-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:59 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Yes, they do. They appear to have handles all over the place. It wasn't necessarily what we went to the Isle of Man TT to see, but those guys work really hard. They wring the **** out of those little 600 engines, they only have about 2" of suspension travel, and passing can be really difficult because they're so wide.
Yeah, but do the slower ones move over for the faster ones?

Old 09-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,225 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazador
Come on now XRX, post up some of those racing picks. We know that you have them. Your ego is too big to not have a room fully decorated in pictures of yourself.
Oh, not to worry! If he does post a picture it will be the same one I took out of his profile and posted a week or so ago. That is if it really is a picture of him! Otherwise he will have some sort of excuse not to post pictures or videos of himself.

Last edited by Bonnie Storm; 09-08-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:32 PM
XRX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Yeah, but do the slower ones move over for the faster ones?
Lol. No. The responsibility for the pass is on the passer, not on the passee. That's one of the reasons that rear view mirrors are not allowed on the track.

Track days have certain additional passing rules, like for example no passing except on the outside of the straights for the slow group, no passing on the inside for the intermediate group, no passing at less than arm's length for the fast group, and no contact in the licensed racer group.

But in racing, as long as both motorcycles are the same color after the pass as they were before the pass, then it's a good pass. Everybody runs brake lever guards nowadays anyways.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:51 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

[QUOTE=XRX;17666449]I've never lost a girl off the back.

If there's a problem with the ergonomics, then the correct solution is to fix the ergonomics.

Usually it's because some guy who thinks he's the world's most amazing rider feels comfortable accelerating hard enough that they couldn't get the front wheel down until about 150-160 mph on the front straight, and then braking hard enough at 170 mph to be dancing the rear wheel. I don't know what kind of guy does that. My guess is one who thinks more of himself than his passenger.

Spare me your hand-wringing angst, Nancy.

I've never claimed to be "the world's most amazing rider". I've never even claimed to be fast. On my best day, I'd be a mid-pack expert.

I took her out during a private session on a track day, she wears $3,000 of safety gear when she's on her bike or on the back of mine, and she asked me to take her out. We lapped nearly 10 seconds a lap off my race pace, and about 15 seconds a lap off of the lap record- I think we were pretty conservative in terms of her safety and mine.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ergonomics of either of my bikes. They are not the same as a sport bike, on purpose, as we like to cruise and be comfortable doing it. The ergonomics on my bikes suit their purposes and our needs perfectly, gee it's almost like that's why they make different styles of bikes.

You in this forum, is like a Catholic or Christian Priest trying to drum up business in a Synagogue or Mosque. If you want to preach, rock on, but you'd be better off preaching to a receptive audience, that is interested in your dribble.

The following 4 users liked this post by skid_pimp:
Bonnie Storm (09-09-2018), nevada72 (09-09-2018), nytryder (09-11-2018), sailmotion (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
I've never lost a girl off the back.

If there's a problem with the ergonomics, then the correct solution is to fix the ergonomics.

Spare me your hand-wringing angst, Nancy.

I've never claimed to be "the world's most amazing rider". I've never even claimed to be fast. On my best day, I'd be a mid-pack expert.

I took her out during a private session on a track day, she wears $3,000 of safety gear when she's on her bike or on the back of mine, and she asked me to take her out. We lapped nearly 10 seconds a lap off my race pace, and about 15 seconds a lap off of the lap record- I think we were pretty conservative in terms of her safety and mine.
Ah there it is......the name calling.

No angst on my part. Just recognition of a self absorbed psychopath, which is not name calling btw - in your case I suspect it's clinically accurate.

On ergonomics - You never answered my question before - Do you even own a Harley? The ergonomics are perfectly suited for what they are built for - just cruising around.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-09-2018 at 07:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
skid_pimp (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:31 AM
XRX
Road Captain

The ergonomics would be good if you were just sitting on a sofa, but we're talking about actually riding, on a motorcycle, and the ergonomics are not good for riding on a motorcycle. And they are uncomfortable, that's why on long trips, I see almost all of the Harleys on trailers, not actually being ridden.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:43 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
The ergonomics would be good if you were just sitting on a sofa, but we're talking about actually riding, on a motorcycle, and the ergonomics are not good for riding on a motorcycle. And they are uncomfortable, that's why on long trips, I see almost all of the Harleys on trailers, not actually being ridden.
You clearly are not very bright. The ergonomics are perfect for CRUISING, that is, well that is why they are nick named CRUISERS. Are some Harleys trailered, absolutely. But of every sport bike rider I personally know, less than a half dozen have ever ridden said sport bikes for over a 600 mile day, and never two days in a row. And I don't know any that have done 1000+ mile trips. So if sport bikes are so comfy, why is that?

Old 09-09-2018, 11:49 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
You clearly are not very bright. The ergonomics are perfect for CRUISING, that is, well that is why they are nick named CRUISERS. Are some Harleys trailered, absolutely. But of every sport bike rider I personally know, less than a half dozen have ever ridden said sport bikes for over a 600 mile day, and never two days in a row. And I don't know any that have done 1000+ mile trips. So if sport bikes are so comfy, why is that?
You raise an interesting point. I wonder if Iron Butt Association would share with the general public the type of bike used for their various challenges (make and model, if I recall correctly, are noted on the application). I'd bet dollars to donuts there are way more Ultras, RK's, Goldwings, etc. then there are Ninja's or sport bikes.

Quick Reply: Passenger sliding around