General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I saw a biker almost get hit.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts
Default I saw a biker almost get hit.

I have been driving 35 miles from home to the hospital and back this past week on a 2 lane in each direction with a median in the middle. The traffic is usually steady but not bad until this Friday when the holiday hit. Today coming home in bumper to bumper traffic running at 60 mph, I saw this dark red Chevy in the outside lane, turn his left signal on and try to force his way into my lane, the inside lane.
There were 2 cars ahead of me and then a biker. Everybody was running fine except for this dirtwad. All of a sudden the cars in front of me hit their brakes. I see the red car move left and the biker move to the extreme outside left of the inside lane. I thought the biker was going to go down as he was being forced over without any warning. He swerved all over the lane to keep it upright. The red Chevy then keeps going left into a left turn lane.
The biker by now had regained control of the bike and flipped the Chevy driver off. I couldn't hear but I could see the bikers face turned toward the car and think he must have been yelling at him.
This is the first time I got to see an almost accident occur. I didn't like it one bit and thought if I had ridden today it may have been me in that situation. Glad the rider controlled his bike and got to ride on without harm.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:51 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
This is the first time I got to see an almost accident occur. I didn't like it one bit and thought if I had ridden today it may have been me in that situation. Glad the rider controlled his bike and got to ride on without harm.
Sorry to say, but apparently you don't get around enough. It's a rare day on Interstate 287 or the Garden State Parkway where I don't see an almost accident occur. Get used to it.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:18 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

"turn his left signal on and try to force his way into my lane"

Around here we interpret the turn signal as a friendly request that shoud be granted. Maybe he isn't used to city driving.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I've seen a guy with a helmet on fly up in the air beyond a few cars ahead of me, and when I got there, he was getting up, bike crumpled in the road and a car stopped broadside with a big dent in the driver's side. Saw a Wing take the back bumper off a red light runner without falling down, and a bike rear end a van not far ahead. Had two kids on a trail bike make a left from the right side of me, barely missed them, and a pickup went by me sliding sideways on the left, and swatted them down the highway and then missed a telephone pole by maybe 6 feet, still moving fast. Bike destroyed, one kid walked away, one left a body, arm and chest imprint in the side of the truck and was unconscious for a few minutes. He seemed ok when he woke up, but they took him away in an ambulance anyway. The 12 year old kid riding got over 20 tickets! I doubt I even remember all the single bike fall downs I've seen. Ride long enough, you'll see riders have a very bad day. I haven't had one on a bike...yet, hopefully never... but close calls, lost count a long time ago.

Last edited by Imold; 09-02-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:54 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I rode about 150 miles today until I got tired of the rain. Not a single person tried to take me out. Well, there was a douche nozzle that eased his way into my lane but I had a hold of the throttle and was able to get by before he completed his move. Then there was the old lady that pulled out in front of me, forcing a maximum slow down. Overall a peaceful ride. Thanks for sharing your story and keep the faith.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
Sorry to say, but apparently you don't get around enough. It's a rare day on Interstate 287 or the Garden State Parkway where I don't see an almost accident occur. Get used to it.
I don't want to become so callous that this type of behaviour becomes the norm and I think nothing of it. As far as getting around enough, I have been around 73 years. Been in involved in a major conflict and been to several continents. I have seen accidents where the driver has left their shoes on the floorboard of the drivers side The impact was that severe. I can't and won't accept this type of ignorance from drivers.
I live in a rural area because I do not want to see what you see on the interstate. Psycho Kamikazee deer are bad enough for me.
I grew up in a large city, maybe too long ago as I just don't remember this level of self centered importance we face daily from cagers today. You just can't ride careful enough anymore.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 709 Posts

I don't want to become so callous that this type of behaviour becomes the norm and I think nothing of it. As far as getting around enough, I have been around 73 years. Been in involved in a major conflict and been to several continents. I have seen accidents where the driver has left their shoes on the floorboard of the drivers side The impact was that severe. I can't and won't accept this type of ignorance from drivers.
I live in a rural area because I do not want to see what you see on the interstate. Psycho Kamikazee deer are bad enough for me.
I grew up in a large city, maybe too long ago as I just don't remember this level of self centered importance we face daily from cagers today. You just can't ride careful enough anymore.
im sorry but accept it or not its there. If im riding into town i have the mindset that everyone is trying to take me out. As far as the deer in the country i have a work truck with a ranch hand and i smoke one every chance i get. Whacked one this morning with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jshopes:
Sarah93003 (09-18-2018), shorelasHD (09-03-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 06:08 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 1,360 Posts

It can happen at any time any where. Got to stay alert.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:11 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

I have been driving 35 miles from home to the hospital and back this past week on a 2 lane in each direction with a median in the middle. The traffic is usually steady but not bad until this Friday when the holiday hit. Today coming home in bumper to bumper traffic running at 60 mph, I saw this dark red Chevy in the outside lane, turn his left signal on and try to force his way into my lane, the inside lane.
There were 2 cars ahead of me and then a biker. Everybody was running fine except for this dirtwad. All of a sudden the cars in front of me hit their brakes. I see the red car move left and the biker move to the extreme outside left of the inside lane. I thought the biker was going to go down as he was being forced over without any warning. He swerved all over the lane to keep it upright. The red Chevy then keeps going left into a left turn lane.
The biker by now had regained control of the bike and flipped the Chevy driver off. I couldn't hear but I could see the bikers face turned toward the car and think he must have been yelling at him.
I wonder why he didn't just accelerate or brake to get out of the way.

I've never had to "swerve all over the lane to keep it upright". I don't know what purpose that would even serve...

Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,954 Likes on 5,918 Posts

I can't and won't accept this type of ignorance from drivers.
Does that mean you're going to quit riding, or do you have some diabolical plan in the works and after some more beta testing you're going to share it with us?

Quick Reply: I saw a biker almost get hit.