General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Street Bob vs 2018 Fat Bob. First Ride Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

Well, personally, I'm not wild about the new Harleys. There's an aesthetic beauty in the older Harleys that the new 2018s and up don't seem to have. Doesn't mean I'm closed minded, just the older ones were varied and when you saw "the one" it set your heart a flutter. The new ones have the same frame. Sure, some have a different rake, different exhaust, etc. But they still look pretty much the same sitting on the same frame - the difference is the tanks, fairings, etc. But, I just like the differences in the older ones. There was a lot more variety and choice and more of a distinction.

Nothing wrong with aesthetics. The new ones just don't do it for me. Nothing personal.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by teeroy_
well it can be pointed out that you "old guys" started it. buddy buys a brand new bike that he thinks is great, then all the "old guys" jump in saying it's a piece of **** they would never own. so there's that...
^ this. starting with the "not a real Harley" or "sounds like Jap crap" bullsh!t.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:28 PM
S&S145
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Aesthically UGLY........LACKING any type of performance - torque upgrades,they handle like an overweight cement mixer and are as UGLY S A tired and WORN HOOKER at an all night Truck Stop .

Old 09-15-2018, 11:10 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by S&S145
Aesthically UGLY........LACKING any type of performance - torque upgrades,they handle like an overweight cement mixer and are as UGLY S A tired and WORN HOOKER at an all night Truck Stop .
Did you test ride the new bikes Vince?

Old 09-16-2018, 02:54 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 709 Posts

Now hold on, i never said it was a piece of ****. I said its god awful ugly and i dont care how it rides. It looks like ****. When someone says to ride it and my opinion might change i just dont understand that. If it rides great and is butt ugly, its still butt ugly. It just also rides well. For my money (and all the people who havent bought a fatbob) there are plenty of other bikes for less money that perform better and look better.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:54 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon

Did you test ride the new bikes Vince?
you can't take stock in anything Vince posts. he's been busted posting BS so many times on this forum his only value is entertainment.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:42 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,844 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I rode the new Fat Boy yesterday at a dealer 2019 model intro event. I still think it is butt ugly. But as far as the ride, I thought I was going to hate it but I really liked it. In fact, that was kind of the theme of the bikes I road. The ones I thought I would hate I really enjoyed riding and vice versa. Everyone was wanting to ride the fxdr and I got on that last. Interesting to note that the people who were at the demo event werent the typical harley dealer crowd you see at these types of events--- crowd was a lot younger and they were all testing the fat bob and fxdr and Heritage. Maybe Harley's strategy is working a bit. The entire few hours I was there going out on rides, nobody was demo riding the touring bikes--even the typical dealer crowd. There was absolutely no interest in the touring models. Softails were the main attraction and there was a 2-3 person queue to get on the Heritage and FXDR. The heritage was most desired demo bike as they had two of them running and they were always booked.

As far as the FXDR, it's not my cup of tea due to the rider triangle and seating position but it pretty much is everything they say it is in terms of handling and performance etc...I would define it as a hot-rod Breakout that actually turns and corners well...

Last edited by MiniWolf; 09-16-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Was that a typo? I'm not familiar with a GSXR 700.

Either way, your point is valid- the SV650 naked twin, for example, carries an MSRP of about $7,000, and the SV offers a vastly superior performance envelope as compared to any stock air-cooled road-going Harley.
Wrong so wrong my mate has just bought an SV650(aftermarket muffler) and my 18 Street Bob(Stage1 SnS slip ons ,race tuner) is faster from anywhere in the rev range , yes I can run him down when he gets the jump and yes I can hang and catch him in the open twisties(4th,5th 6th) but in the tighter stuff he can out brake and lean further but yea I run him down after 3rd gear anywhere .We've both raced MX, enduro, rallyX and motards and if anything he was a faster rider than me in the past as he's little fellow and I outweigh him by over 45kg(around a100lb). So he has a braking and accelerating advantage that way but my bike shuts his down when we open them up.I have an ABS bike too which took a little getting used to.
The OP says he is an aggressive rider but has trouble scraping the Big Bob, shoot I call that timid my FXBB I can scrape most any time any corner I want 4th and under but I've just bought new boots so i'm not up for grinding the edges off new boots yet I'll wear them for a while first..
Also the FXBB fits me perfect and it feels like a small bike somehow I'm only 5 ft 9 but yea the peg, bar and seat thing is right there for me.
I would of bought the Big Bob or a Street glide when i bought but couldn't afford them so I bought the basement model to just get in the game , I saved for ten years for this bike and I really like it.
I don't get to ride much anyways cause of some medical issues but when I do me and this guy carve it up (till I spine myself and have to go home).
Horses for courses there's something for everyone these days.
The Big Bob(fat) has really taken off here in OZ , it's the most common of the new cruisers I see here.

Last edited by badcooky; 09-16-2018 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Slingshot383 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by S&S145
Hmm, this coming from the guy with a bunch cheap a$$ diamond plate on the most butt ugly pile I have seen in many years. Speaking of worn out hookers you might want to look in the mirror.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by jz78817
you're closed minded because you f***ing don't like anything.
Not true. Here is just a short list of the things I DO like:
Girls,hot girls in shorty-shorts, guitars,pedal steel guitars,steel drum music, Harleys made before '018, classic country music,50s,60s,surf,rockabilly,old monster & sci-fi movies,Corvettes,GMC & Dodge pickups,most cars (except Fords) Italian,Chinese,Thai,Mexican & American food food, pizza,travelling, posting on forums,coitus,Vintage sitcoms,retro furniture,my GF's backrubs,milkshakes,violent thunderstorms (having one now)Boston,London,Venice,Rome,animals,hot chocolate on a cold night,Boar's Head blackened turkey (eating now)warm weather,amusement park rides,West Virginia,Florida,the Carolinas, the US southwest,ELP,Zeppelin,Dead,Floyd,Bruce,the 60s & 70s,Clearwater Beach,Riding my Harley,vintage rice & British,Irish folk music, Classical music,sleeping in on the weekends,photography,making people laugh, the way the air smells on that first really nice day after winter, sound of morning doves while I drink my coffee...these are a few of my favorite, things. Shall I go on?
But,because I don't like the '018 & newer Harleys, a sentiment shared by many on this forum & most of the riders I know, I am close minded?

Last edited by dickey; 09-17-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Street Bob vs 2018 Fat Bob. First Ride Review