General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Street Bob vs 2018 Fat Bob. First Ride Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,280 Likes on 18,388 Posts

Thanks for the honest review. I do like that HD is producing bikes that handle better, ride better and are quicker to appeal to more than one category of motorcycle buyer. Just don't over price and claim it's a performance bike like they did with the FXDR. With the nearly $3,000 MSRP difference the Fat Bob 114 is the "performance" value in HD's lineup. I wonder if they had put a round headlight on the Fat Bob would it be more acceptable?

PS I wonder how many stock Fat Bob exhausts are being thrown out with every purchase? There isn't a stock one on any of the owner's pics in this thread. Intentional on HD's part?

Last edited by Walter White; 09-04-2018 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (09-17-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 709 Posts

I wonder if they had put a round headlight on the Fat Bob would it be more acceptable?

Im pretty sure thats all that rusty butcher bunch did with theirs and it made a huge difference. They did that as soon as it was uncrated.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:11 PM
S&S145
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I RODE BOTH from a wealthy DR. Friend of mine who's bikes I work on all year round ( weekend biker - distant neighbor) HE'S really 1.2 miles away,but owns 2 evo's and 4 twin cams.....and just bought 2 NEW Milwaukee 8 new H-D's........in my honest and unbiased opinion,they SUCK .SLOW< Sluggish,handle like cement mixers,and a complete disappointment in the LACK of power,riding,handling,braking and just plain riding experience . His 1999 iron head Sporty **** all over the newer bikes in a 1/4 mile Drag race) I rode the sporty ~ then we switched....he smoked ME as well . Yes I know: almost a 171 lb. difference ( or FEW POUNDS MORE ON THE NEWER "LEAD SLEDS" in bikes,but the new offerings are NOT worth the money,they'll NOT bring in a younger demographic......H-D is burying itself . LOVE MY 03 lowrider,01 FXDX and 89 FXR ...... : REAL HARLEY DAVIDSONS

The following users liked this post:
XRX (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:02 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by S&S145
I RODE BOTH...in my honest and unbiased opinion,they SUCK .SLOW< Sluggish,handle like cement mixers,and a complete disappointment in the LACK of power,riding,handling,braking and just plain riding experience ...the new offerings are NOT worth the money,they'll NOT bring in a younger demographic......H-D is burying itself.
Thank you.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:03 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,844 Likes on 2,297 Posts

It has nothing to do with what bikes Harley can offer the coveted 'younger generation' of Millennials. It has everything to do with the price. Until and unless that is addressed, there is not going to be much of an influx of new younger riders into the Harley world. Cheapest you can get a new Harley is around $7.5K OTD. and that is bare stock 500CC Street model that is basically a glorified scooter in the eyes of this segment. For less than that, you can get a high performance 'Street Fighter' style bike from one of the offshore brands or a GSXR 700. What incentive is there to buy the Harley? If you want something with somewhat respectable performance on par with the offshore naked bikes, you are going to have shell out close to $20K for a Street Bob or FXDR, and that price will get you top shelf Japanese performance rather than just acceptable Harley.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 09-04-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:15 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
It has nothing to do with what bikes Harley can offer the coveted 'younger generation' of Millennials. It has everything to do with the price. Until and unless that is addressed, there is not going to be much of an influx of new younger riders into the Harley world. Cheapest you can get a new Harley is around $7.5K OTD. and that is bare stock 500CC Street model that is basically a glorified scooter in the eyes of this segment. For less than that, you can get a high performance 'Street Fighter' style bike from one of the offshore brands or a GSXR 700. What incentive is there to buy the Harley?
Was that a typo? I'm not familiar with a GSXR 700.

Either way, your point is valid- the SV650 naked twin, for example, carries an MSRP of about $7,000, and the SV offers a vastly superior performance envelope as compared to any stock air-cooled road-going Harley.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by S&S145
I RODE BOTH from a wealthy DR. Friend of mine who's bikes I work on all year round ( weekend biker - distant neighbor) HE'S really 1.2 miles away,but owns 2 evo's and 4 twin cams.....and just bought 2 NEW Milwaukee 8 new H-D's........in my honest and unbiased opinion,they SUCK .SLOW< Sluggish,handle like cement mixers,and a complete disappointment in the LACK of power,riding,handling,braking and just plain riding experience . His 1999 iron head Sporty **** all over the newer bikes in a 1/4 mile Drag race) I rode the sporty ~ then we switched....he smoked ME as well . Yes I know: almost a 171 lb. difference ( or FEW POUNDS MORE ON THE NEWER "LEAD SLEDS" in bikes,but the new offerings are NOT worth the money,they'll NOT bring in a younger demographic......H-D is burying itself . LOVE MY 03 lowrider,01 FXDX and 89 FXR ...... : REAL HARLEY DAVIDSONS
1999 Ironhead? VT81, is that you?

Old 09-06-2018, 04:02 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
1999 Ironhead? VT81, is that you?
Well, When you own an imaginary bike shop, you might as well work on your imaginary friend's bikes!

Old 09-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Hannibal Smith
Road Captain
Received 451 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
So they sold one. In europe. Theyre flying out of the lots now!
It sounds like you want them to fail to justify your view on the aesthetics. Maybe not.

I am not a fan of the looks, but my girlfriend really liked it. When she explained why, it made sense and I could see her points. In a nutshell, I understood the appeal from someone else's eyes. People are purchasing them. I live in sunny SoCal, and they are definitely around.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith
It sounds like you want them to fail to justify your view on the aesthetics. Maybe not.

I am not a fan of the looks, but my girlfriend really liked it. When she explained why, it made sense and I could see her points. In a nutshell, I understood the appeal from someone else's eyes. People are purchasing them. I live in sunny SoCal, and they are definitely around.
id honestly like to see one year sales numbers. I dont want them to fail, i want them to build something that sells well and looks good so i can want to justify a 2nd bike but as it stands theres no reason.

Quick Reply: 2018 Street Bob vs 2018 Fat Bob. First Ride Review