General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride to work? yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 06:54 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default live your life

Originally Posted by cory464
i have mixed feelings about it. some days i feel like riding, some days i don't. i only ride when i feel like it. but i take crap from guys who ride every day regardless of the weather, blah blah blah. but my thought on it is i'm usually half awake and dragging *** to work so why put miles on the bike that i'm not enjoying? it seems like these guys are typically new to riding, and have something to prove. curious what anyone elses thoughts are.
live YOUR life, LOVE the life you live.... to hell with the rest

Old 09-01-2018, 07:24 AM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by TN_Biker
I ride to work everyday that I can. It's nice to shake it all off on the ride home - sometimes I meet friends and we'll go have some dinner after work.
I gotta admit, THAT is a bloody good reason to ride to work - the ride home!

Ha - 1/2 hour to ride to work.... two hour ride home.. leaves at 5 pm gets home 7pm... now that's a ride.

But it still gets back to the base-level point... you do what suits YOU, not other people. Ride, drive, walk, flap your arms and bloody FLY... it's all your choice (well, maybe not that last, Gravity has a say too)

Originally Posted by Haarley
The guys who ride every day are more real riders than the guys who don't. An Iron Butt rider is more of a real rider than anyone who isn't. The person who seizes the most opportunities to be in the saddle is the real rider.
Ya reckon? Really...?

What if those "to work riders" do 15 min rides on the w/end to the local bar... while the "car to work" guy does 300 miles each sat/sun riding?
And "most opportunities"? So the rider who rides a lot of "15 min quick-trips" is more of a rider than the guy who sits in the saddle for a 5 hour Saturday trip?

It's pointless being judgemental- who the hell gets to decide anyway - "this is a rider", "that is not"!? That's just dumb as dogshit...

Oh... you're not a REAL rider unless you ride a Goldwing... HD's don't count.

Now do you see how stupid that concept is?

*walks off muttering under breath*

Last edited by OzHD; 09-01-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Axel2485
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cory464
i have mixed feelings about it. some days i feel like riding, some days i don't. i only ride when i feel like it. but i take crap from guys who ride every day regardless of the weather, blah blah blah. but my thought on it is i'm usually half awake and dragging *** to work so why put miles on the bike that i'm not enjoying? it seems like these guys are typically new to riding, and have something to prove. curious what anyone elses thoughts are.
While I am someone who rides to work whenever there isn't a specific reason preventing me from doing so, I say you should ride when you want ride, don't ride when you don't want to, and to hell with what anybody else thinks. It's your life, you do you.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I ride 130 miles a day round trip, almost 30k miles a year to work. I will take a car in the rain, but otherwise its all bike. Reason, makes me not hate my commute, thus hating my life LOL, I never get stuck in traffic and can split, I sometimes work long days and its easier to stay awake on the way to and from, if I was in a warm comfortable car, my *** would probably fall asleep

Old 09-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

I ride 60 miles round trip to work daily. There are definitely days though I'm NOT in the mood...too tired...it's cold as hell....under the weather....but that always completely changes once I'm actually riding. It's always a great part of my day, clears my head and keeps me sane.

Had pneumonia a few years ago and didn't have the strength to hold up the bike for a few months. Bit the bullet and had to take a car. There were some nice aspects to it, but I just started to feel like a zombie by either end of the commute.

For me, riding every day has zero to do with being a "biker" but everything to do with personal care and enjoyment.

When I had a single bike it did slightly become invisible to me after daily riding for years, but adding a second bike that I rotate every 3 or 4 days really helped me notice and enjoy differences of each of them every time I switch. It also really spreads out the miles so I'm not relentlessly beating up one machine that I love. After 30+ years, it's also become more than 2 bikes which has increased the variety and fun.

Another benefit is the more you ride, the less you're able to hear other peoples opinions.

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-01-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,297 Likes on 6,040 Posts

I live in Michigan, so we have a fairly limited riding season. I also live in a mid-size town and have 10 mile one way ride and traffic is not terrible. We have half dozen "riders" who have bikes. I typically ride above 20° and no rain. Usually there is only one bike in the lot...that would be me. I get no crap from anybody about riding. In fact i'm known as the bike dude! I ride when I want, where I want, and how I want. I don't let others dictate how, when, or when I ride. I also don't care if you ride or not. Don't care what you ride, or how you dress. To me, if you have a bike and ride, you are a rider. So i'm riding as much as I can and when I feel like it.
so yeah....I ride to work!!!

Old 09-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Tomahawk309
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 72 Posts

If the weather is good, the temp is above 50 in the morning and I don't need my tuck for anything on the way home, I'm riding... I wish I had a longer commute though...20 min max.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:10 AM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

For two years my bike was my only form of transportation so I rode rain or shine. It was a 200-mile round trip, going in at 2 AM. Now I'm six tenths of a mile from work so as others said, it's not worth moving the wife's car out of the way and suiting up to go that short a distance. I take heat from my boss for not riding every day to work. He can't ride to work as he needs his company truck for sales calls. His commute is about a half hour. If I was him I'd leave the company truck at work and commute but then he'd be paying gas out of pocket and he's too cheap for that!

Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,322 Likes on 2,006 Posts

Never. I have to ride thru three miles of ghetto along the way. Pass on that.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:41 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Oh Heck Nay, LOL unless my Jeep is broke down.
I Love to drink mo coffee on the way to work, and I'll have a Dr Pepper with two packs of Planters honey roasted peanuts dumped into it. and I just can't do that on a bike.

Quick Reply: ride to work? yay or nay