General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride to work? yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:24 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

If I had a regular job I would and actually did years ago. Being a self employed carpet cleaner kinda makes it impossible now although I have taken my bike to customer homes for a minor spot removal or to collect a payment!.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:34 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by cory464
i have mixed feelings about it. some days i feel like riding, some days i don't. i only ride when i feel like it. but i take crap from guys who ride every day regardless of the weather, blah blah blah. but my thought on it is i'm usually half awake and dragging *** to work so why put miles on the bike that i'm not enjoying? it seems like these guys are typically new to riding, and have something to prove. curious what anyone elses thoughts are.
Dude (I presume). I honestly (intentionally) only read your post. Whatever bike you have, give it away. I am sure by this time your *** has been handed to you so leave it at that. I am biting my tongue so will stop here and wish you a pleasant life in the Prius color of your choice.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:39 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,209 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Yes, when I used to work. Now I ride just about every day just 'cuz.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:46 PM
oldsoldier181
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,586 Likes on 4,795 Posts

I have a 4 day work cycle. I typically ride to work 2 of those days, weather depending. Just because I want to. I dont care what anyone else thinks, or feels. I want to ride, I do. I dont, I dont. Pretty simple, actually.
Although, what usually happens, I love riding TO work, but, at the end of the night, dont look forward to the ride home, because I am tired.
Like tonight.
A half hour ride home, in the dark, on back roads, I need to stay hyper vigilant. At the end of a long shift, that can sometimes be hard. But, it is what it is...

Old 08-31-2018, 07:45 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

Myself and about 10 others at work have bikes. Of those, only me and a guy in my own shop (with a 'Wing) each ride our bikes to work about 1 day out of 10.
Our situations are different, but at a moments notice we MAY need to travel with tools, pick up equipment and bring it back in our vehicle. We make extra money
for doing this, so I like that and would rather have the $$ than being excluded or giving it away to someone with a car, thus the 1/10th deal.

So I am a fair weather workweek rider who rolls the dice I won't need a vehicle the day I do decide take my bike. (I don';t like to give away free money)

Also have kid, groceries, etc. so can't bike on those days a car is needed either.

Bottom line, "LIFE"......either work or home, usually gets in the way M-F, 9-5; 90% of time, otherwise, it;s nights and weekends that see the most miles.

Nobody gives me grief about not riding my bike to work.........the other 7 or 8 guys bring theirs once or twice a summer. Our season is shorter than most anyone else on this forum, so I enjoy it when I can.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

F*** the guys at work, ride when you feel like it. I average 1000 miles a month during the riding season which pales in comparison to what a lot of people do but is also much more than others do . I'm in no contest and I'm not there to people please.

The following users liked this post:
Cozz (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:16 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I work in the hood so Helllll no

The following users liked this post:
Cozz (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:21 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default As much as possible

Biggest thing is which one to ride. There are some days when I have a company service truck and its necessary to have access to tools I'll use it.Also winters can be brutal here so seasonal riding,get in as much as can. Ride Safe. Wild Bill l

Last edited by Hurricane 68; 08-31-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:34 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,775 Likes on 985 Posts

Work is 60 miles away. I need to ride to work at least 1 day a week I get really cranky. This year has been really challenging with all the rain. I can usually get into December, and then startup again in March or April. The commute by bike does leave me pretty tired, but if the weather allows, I'll ride twice a week.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:39 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

Retired.
No reason to ride to work.

However when I did work, I was 4 mile from work, so I didn't ride................

Quick Reply: ride to work? yay or nay