General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride to work? yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 01:04 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,140 Likes on 646 Posts

I commute to work when I can it's not very enjoyable if it's a hundred and five or more in the afternoons as Im in Phoenix. But most of the rest of the year is just fine & the HOV lane rocks!!

Old 08-31-2018, 01:17 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 585 Likes on 365 Posts

I work for my company remotely, I'm a systems puke and can work from anywhere. Wife won't let me ride upstairs to my office.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:21 PM
M8USA
Road Master
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts

rode my bikes over 25 years to work. Living in Long Island drove 50 miles each way into NYC during late spring thru early winter. When it got cold just got 5 feet behind a Semi to break the wind and save some fuel.
When we moved to Staten Island I drove into Brooklyn going over the Verrazano Bridge.
Had a family, didn't have much money and only one car, so (by choice) it was the bike for me.
​​​​​​Drove thru torrential downpours and heavy winds pushing me across lanes on the bridge. Lane splitting on the LIE and all i heard was click, click, click of the side view mirrors.
Lane split racing with other bikers on the Southern State Parkway.
Commuting was fun and many experiences, but it is not for everyone.

The following 2 users liked this post by M8USA:
1LargeDog (09-02-2018), Haarley (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 01:23 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 761 Likes on 407 Posts

Some days I take my kid to daycare so I must drive but that will be changing shortly with my wife starting a new job where she passes daycare every day on the way to work. But I'm still not sure if i will ride that much, don't get me wrong I love to ride but my job typically stresses me to the max and my lunch break is one hour that I don't have to deal with anyone or anything so I really enjoy going to my car with dark tinted windows and sunshade in the windshield, turning my phone off and just relaxing in the dark piece and quiet for a little while, sometimes I even take me a nap lol.

But to answer your question I usually ride once or twice a week. When i work saturdays I always ride to work as I do not get a lunch break to go sit and relax. I used to work in the city and I actually really enjoyed getting up early on a saturday morning and leaving the house when its still dark out and taking the route straight through uptown. By the time I got there the sun was rising and there was almost no traffic, just people out for the morning jog. I rode straight through a usually hustling uptown and it was just quiet and peaceful.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:35 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,268 Likes on 6,845 Posts

I ride to work whenever I can, simply because I enjoy the ride. It's been hit and miss this year because there's only so much stuff (tools, building supplies, etc.) one can carry on a bike. But I still ride whenever I can, and I've been known to take the car home (17 miles) at noon just so I can ride the bike back. For the record, I rode my bike to work for 3 1/2 months straight last year and never started the car once during that entire time......

Old 08-31-2018, 01:56 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

I ride in whenever I can. Unfortunately, I know I'm going to need my truck on more days than not, so that cuts into the riding. Also, my dog is getting up there and doesn't do as well as he did a few years ago to being left alone during the day, so I bring him with me most days.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:59 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by cory464
i have mixed feelings about it. some days i feel like riding, some days i don't. i only ride when i feel like it. but i take crap from guys who ride every day regardless of the weather, blah blah blah. but my thought on it is i'm usually half awake and dragging *** to work so why put miles on the bike that i'm not enjoying? it seems like these guys are typically new to riding, and have something to prove. curious what anyone elses thoughts are.
Before I retired, I rode my bike to work, it helped to clear my head on the way there and also on the way back. My advice to you is this: Ride your own ride and don't concern yourself about what others think or say.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:02 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

ride when you want to, for commuting or pleasure. who cares what other's think? be your own person.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:05 PM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

I ride any day the weather allows. Lots of storm days this year here on the coast....Not so bad getting wet coming home but not good when going in to work. Most here is pop up showers that don't last long and usually in a place where I can't easily stop and get suited up with rain gear from my saddlebags. I do keep some spare dry clothes in the saddle bags for emergencies. Terrible weather this year, raining everyday.

Last edited by n5tf; 08-31-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:07 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyday before I retired....took a flying job now I fly to work.....

Quick Reply: ride to work? yay or nay