General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride to work? yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:31 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Absolutely no way for me anymore in this God forsaken city also known as Austin, Texas. Way too many close calls for me on my old metric and it became "work" to ride to work. I ride for pleasure and rescued her from being stuck in a garage.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:47 AM
Rally Monkey
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride to work every day if it’s not raining hard when I leave and it’s not winter. I enjoy the ride even though it’s mostly interstate. In Minnesota the season is so short, I like to ride whenever I can.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:48 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

If it isn't raining or cold, I ride to work as often as possible. I have a limited riding season, so I make the most of each day. There are warm and dry months where I don't even burn a full tank of gas out of my car.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

I ride to work when I can. My round trip commute is about 100 miles, thru some really nice rural county roads and highways, much more peaceful than the downtown crap I used to deal with.

I won't ride if there is a significant threat of rain. I do have rain gear, and have ridden in nasty downpours, I'd rather not.

And riding here in winter is way more trouble for the most part, than I'm willing to endure.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Craigny
Road Master
Received 383 Likes on 232 Posts

I love riding to work but here in NY the traffic is always a bear coming home...I get in for 6am so the way in is always pretty smooth, but heading east back out on Long Island SUCKS...plus I work Saturdays and STILL the traffic sucks coming home....When I had my Dyna I white lined like crazy but i'm not too thrilled doing it on the EG, so i don't do it as much.....sitting in traffic on the Harley just stinks. Even with white lining here, number one its illegal, and they do set up busts for it, and people here are soooo pissed off sitting in their cages in traffic they do the old squeeze move all the time when you're spitting.....

Last edited by Craigny; 08-31-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I ride to work every day. It's a short commute and all through town, but i start early and the roads are quiet. The real benefit is coming home, i save 10 minutes because i don't have to sit in ques of traffic. I don't mind wet weather riding, but if it gets really bad i'm using my car. I've got 2300 miles on my bike, in the same period i've put 50 miles on my car. 95% of the time i'd rather be on two wheels.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:05 AM
OutlawKellyJames
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I say ride as often as possible...and that would include work if feasible. Tomorrow is never promised.

The following users liked this post:
n5tf (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:07 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,764 Likes on 2,016 Posts

When I worked sometimes I rode, sometimes I didn’t. With a commute of only five miles it was hardly worth it unless I was going somewhere after work.

The hardest part if riding to work to work was forcing myself to make that last turn into the plant instead of just riding on.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:19 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cory464
... but i take crap from guys who ride every day regardless of the weather, blah blah blah. ...

...it seems like these guys are typically new to riding, and have something to prove. ...
Okay, that's just plain silly. Riding a motorcycle for commuting is no great feat it's not even a minor event of note. Now if your friends are doing 5+ mile commutes every day on their bicycles then they would have some bragging rights.

Sticking your nose in the air because you ride a motorcycle to the office is serious Bad Brad territory.

Commuting on it, at most, proves nothing more than you like your motorcycle's gas mileage.

Last edited by Gazzalodi; 08-31-2018 at 10:23 AM.
mctraveler (09-03-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:21 AM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 683 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
I enjoy riding to work and get at least 1 or 2 days a week in. My commute is the most beautiful I've ever had so that certainly helps a lot. It begins on a single lane through a bunch of horse ranches, down a winding mountain pass where it dumps out onto the Oxnard plain and farm after farm. The smells are wonderful and traffic is minimum. There was a period of time where I did not own a car for about 5 years so I rode every day, rain or shine. Some of that can get old after a while. Anyone who gives flack to a rider for not riding is a dipshit in my opinion.
Sounds like your riding thru hidden valley, like portrero rd. I used to take that road and hit all the canyons. Talk about some nice rides!

Sarah93003 (09-03-2018)

Quick Reply: ride to work? yay or nay