General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

easiest to install air horn

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:32 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 5,259 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Vis á vis the louder stock horn...look to the P&A catalog for that...significantly louder than the stock horn on pre-2014 models.

But the prize for loud and easy installation must go to the Wolo Bad Boy horn. Truly a bolt on double air horn. Plugs into the OEM wiring, *no relay necessary. If you don't like it's hideous appearance, *Kuryakyn sells a cover specifically for that horn.

On my current sled, I chose the P&A horn since I like the iconic OE cover.*
According to this video, the Bad Boy uses a relay and requires gas tank removal:

Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 AM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

If they don't need a relay then they aren't loud enough.

Mind you, his removing the fuel tank was a choice made by where he wanted to run the wires.

You can use the original horn wires - all you need is a direct feed from the battery (via fuse is you want) to the relay then the original horn "go" wire tells the relay to feed to feed that new power wire to the new horn. He spoke about not having the relay anywhere it was hot, makes sense.

Last edited by OzHD; 09-04-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:22 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

On my '18 Heritage I found I can run wires along the frame tucked up under the tank of the right side with out the need to take off the tank. I currentlly have three wires in a flexible plastic conduit for the power and control of my Camera system, a camera cable from the rear camera and now the two wires, again in a flex conduit, that connects to the wires for the horn all tucked up and out of sight.

I did not eleiminate my stock horn, so I just tapped the two wires that run to the relay into the existing horn wires, so both horns TOOT together. There is not a lot of room under the seat of the new softails with the monoshock and access to the battery is next to impossible. I used double stick tape to install the Relay under the seat under the right side frame. Wrapped the exposed terminals with tape to insure no acccidental shorts. Liked the Idea of the relay socket but did not think about it until I watched the video. Since I mounted the Wolo on the right side just in front of the saddle bag, the wire runs from the horn to the relay and ground were short. Picked up direct battery power from just behind the main power fuse that is located under the left side panel on the my Heritage. No fuse, but I might add one in the near future,

Old 09-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by OzHD
If they don't need a relay then they aren't loud enough.
That has been my experience. I researched horns thoroughly last year and yeah, all of the ones as loud as I would want need a relay to protect the horn switch.

Right after I got the bike, I did replace the OEM horn with a "bolt-on" from an auto parts store. It's louder, but still not nearly as loud as I want.

The following users liked this post:
krbobby72 (03-13-2021)
Old 09-04-2018, 02:46 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
That has been my experience. I researched horns thoroughly last year and yeah, all of the ones as loud as I would want need a relay to protect the horn switch.

Right after I got the bike, I did replace the OEM horn with a "bolt-on" from an auto parts store. It's louder, but still not nearly as loud as I want.
Yup, that was my point (although I didn't say it).

For example, the Denali SoundBomb take 22 amps - far too much for the horn button but OK for a horn button to control a 30-35 amp relay.
Don't hold the button down or you'll flatten the battery! Ha!

Old 09-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by OzHD
Yup, that was my point (although I didn't say it).

For example, the Denali SoundBomb take 22 amps - far too much for the horn button but OK for a horn button to control a 30-35 amp relay.
Don't hold the button down or you'll flatten the battery! Ha!
I'm not asking for much. Maybe something like this:

Old 09-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,298 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
The Stebel Nautilus, Mini Beast, and WoLo horns are all basically the same. Find the cheapest one and go for it. Be sure to use dielectric grease on the connectors including the line that connects to the battery or they will surely corrode. And yes, it is loud!

This is the one I have which is no longer available. I also had the same one on two previous bikes. The Pro Pad Mini Beast II Air Horn - Chrome MB-AH4-C
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what it looks like:
One thing I've read online in some of the reviews of the Stebel Nautilis and Wolo horns is durability when mounted to a shaking Harley engine. I've read a few reports of the horns coming apart after long term use. Of course when you do a google search you will get very old results sometimes so I don't know if that has changed. I don't know if the mini beast is more durable or not, but it's a hell of a lot more expensive. It might be worth the extra cost IF it was more durable, but IDK if it is or not.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM
BuckKnuckle
Road Master
Received 1,044 Likes on 404 Posts

The '17 and up horns are not by any means quiet, but they sound just like car horns. I've never liked that!!

I want an air horn that sounds like and is as loud as a fire truck horn. *THAT* will get the other driver's
attention and make the text-while-driving crowd jump right out of their shorts.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:12 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckKnuckle
The '17 and up horns are not by any means quiet, but they sound just like car horns. I've never liked that!!

I want an air horn that sounds like and is as loud as a fire truck horn. *THAT* will get the other driver's
The Wolo Big-Bad Max Air horn is a good "loud" choice for the $$$$. Only bad thing about this horn is that, unfortunately because it is an air horn and needs a compressor, it is to big to fit as a direct replacement for the stock horn that is mounted under the frame above the oil cooler on the newer M8 bikes. If you can find a place to mount it that you can live with, I can recommend it.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuckKnuckle
That's what I've been pursuing somewhat. But.....it occurs to me that there could be a downside to a horn that's "too" loud. If it startles the cagers too much it could cause an accident instead of preventing one.

The following users liked this post:
treece883 (04-14-2022)