General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think stock ecm auto tuning works

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:53 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Default I think stock ecm auto tuning works

The newer bikes, the ones with oxygen sensors, (narrow band), will try to auto tune the map installed in the ECM. I am not exactly sure how it works except to say that the o2 sensors sense if the exhaust gas is rich or lean and if it is lean it adds a small amout of fuel to a cell and if it is rich it removes a small amount of fuel from a cell.

I can tell that it words for my bike. I have many examples, but here is the latest....

For some reason I had a tank of 91 octane in my bike. The bike ran a little rougher than normal. I drained the tank an replaced it with my usual 93 octane. On Saturday I went on a long ride. For the first 50 miles or so my bike was running a bit rough, but then it smoothed out and ran and sounded just like it always did.

The moral of this story is, I really do believe that, with the newer bikes, the more you run them the better they will run, if you have a good map installed. One of the keys to making this work, you have to have a map that is close to correct. The o2 feedback will do the rest.

I think.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 459 Likes on 227 Posts

You think you've could've gotten some bad gas and it just happened to be 91 octane?

Old 08-27-2018, 03:56 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,896 Likes on 3,704 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR
The newer bikes, the ones with oxygen sensors, (narrow band), will try to auto tune the map installed in the ECM. I am not exactly sure how it works except to say that the o2 sensors sense if the exhaust gas is rich or lean and if it is lean it adds a small amout of fuel to a cell and if it is rich it removes a small amount of fuel from a cell.

I can tell that it words for my bike. I have many examples, but here is the latest....

For some reason I had a tank of 91 octane in my bike. The bike ran a little rougher than normal. I drained the tank an replaced it with my usual 93 octane. On Saturday I went on a long ride. For the first 50 miles or so my bike was running a bit rough, but then it smoothed out and ran and sounded just like it always did.

The moral of this story is, I really do believe that, with the newer bikes, the more you run them the better they will run, if you have a good map installed. One of the keys to making this work, you have to have a map that is close to correct. The o2 feedback will do the rest.

I think.
It does not work that way. The 'map' simply instructs the ECU what to do for various engine operating ranges, such as ambient temp, engine temp, load, rider input (throttle, etc.), and the like. Nothing gets 'written' to the ECU; it simply looks at a different part of the map table.

Notwithstanding, there are some learned values that the ECU saves for fuel control, called 'trims'. That's probably what you are referring to. In your case, the trims probably compensated for your change in fuel, as they should.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:42 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

unless you've really bumped up your compression, there is no reason that your bike should't have run just fine on the 91. i think it may have just been coincidence.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by skratch
unless you've really bumped up your compression, there is no reason that your bike should't have run just fine on the 91. i think it may have just been coincidence.
The same thing happened after they cleaned my air cleaner. When I rode it home it was rougher than I was use to. But after some miles it smoothed out just the way it was before.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:15 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

"14 and later bikes can self tune for intake and exhaust changes. Add cams or compression and you will need a tuner to compensate for those changes.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Auto Tune... No. What you are probably thinking about is called closed loop control. The oxygen sensors provide the feedback for the control loop.

I think.
You may be confusing octane and it's ability to prevent engine knock with lambda sensors ability to compensate for fuel blend, among other things..

Old 08-27-2018, 08:08 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Ok, you have a bit of an oxy-moron going on in your post and that's why there's some funny feedback.
First the topic is; "I think stock ecm auto tuning works"
And your right, the Electronic Control Module does function and makes the engine run properly.
But then you add;
"you have to have a map that is close to correct. The o2 feedback will do the rest."
So,, "map" means you have somehow modified the ECM. Once the ECM has been modified by an outside source,, it no longer functions as the stock ECM. While the ECM may still be reading the O2's during the engines operation,, it will only do so as described buy the installed "map".
"map" and "stock" are two different things.

p.s. bad gas is bad gas.

Last edited by JohnMn; 08-27-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM
BobRR
Road Master

Here is a good explanation of how the narrow band o2 sensors work on our bikes (I am assuming they work the same for all vehicles more or less) After reading this I have to admit, I am not sure why the bike smooths out after ridden for a while but it does. And it remembers it.

Narrow Band O2 Sensors began to appear on vehicles with the advent of fuel injection in the 1980’s. Their purpose was to monitor component degradation (i.e. fuel injectors, vacuum leaks) of vehicles as they accumulated miles. Their basic job was to let the computer know whether the vehicle was running at an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 under idle (ideal ratio for gasoline engines), moderate acceleration, and cruise conditions, and if it wasn’t, to “trim” the injector pulse-width to either slightly lean or richen the engine. When the computer is paying attention to the input from the O2 sensor, the engine is operating in a “closed-loop” capacity. Under heavier acceleration or wide-open throttle the computer ignores the O2 sensor because it requires an air/fuel ratio other than 14.7:1, which is outside the design parameters of the sensor. This is known as “open-loop” operation. The sensor lets the computer know if the engine is running above or below 14.7:1 by sending voltage to the computer in a range between 0 and 1 volt, usually sweeping between the two extremes of this scale. AutoMeter’s traditional narrow-band air/fuel ratio gauges are simply a voltmeter for this signal. This can be seen by the repeated sweeping back and forth of the gauge in most idle, light throttle, and cruise conditions. To summarize, a narrow band O2 sensor is only able to tell a computer (or gauge, for that matter) whether an engine is operating above or below a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:35 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Sorry Bob, it's still pretty vague.
Yeah,, O2's are part of the system that adjusts to real environment as the engine runs.
The factory ECM does not auto-tune to your riding style or engine configuration,, and/or have a memory.
The ECM with all of the sensors on the engine adjust to real time conditions as the engine runs.
The Only "map" programmed to/or remembered by the factory ECM is the factory settings and what is happening in each moment with the engine.,
Your bike "smooths out" after running for a bit because it actually got up to temp. The difference between old bikes and new bikes,, is you don't have to mess with the choke cable,, the "ECM" does that for you.

Quick Reply: I think stock ecm auto tuning works