General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think stock ecm auto tuning works

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:48 AM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Sorry Bob, it's still pretty vague.
Yeah,, O2's are part of the system that adjusts to real environment as the engine runs.
The factory ECM does not auto-tune to your riding style or engine configuration,, and/or have a memory.
The ECM with all of the sensors on the engine adjust to real time conditions as the engine runs.
The Only "map" programmed to/or remembered by the factory ECM is the factory settings and what is happening in each moment with the engine.,
Your bike "smooths out" after running for a bit because it actually got up to temp. The difference between old bikes and new bikes,, is you don't have to mess with the choke cable,, the "ECM" does that for you.
It has to remember the trim values for each cell, otherwise, it would not smooth out, it would be like "groundhog day" and constantly repeating the addition of the same trim values to each cell. As the article says, the o2 sensor is used to try to keep the afr close to 14.7.

Having said all that, I do have a PowerVision installed on my bike. One of the options available to me is to "Reset Trim Values". I do not think the PV does anything but communicate with the ECM. I use it to download Dynojet maps and display gauges. But I could take it off at any time. So the PV is not remembering anything. But, as I say, it does give me the ability to "Reset Trim Values". If you read the Dynojet website the way they describe the ECM and trim values, they say that the ECM learns the trim values and remembers them. Dynojet says that if you download a new map you should Reset the trim values. All of this is where I got the idea that the more you ride your bike the better the bike will run. The Trim values are referred to as "learned" values.

Last edited by BobRR; 08-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:08 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR
I do have a PowerVision installed on my bike.,,
I do not think the PV does anything but communicate with the ECM. I use it to download Dynojet maps and display gauges. But I could take it off at any time. So the PV is not remembering anything.
​​
Your either a troll or an idiot.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:59 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Your either a troll or an idiot.
Or maybe you do not really know what you are talking about?

The PV does not store anything. It just communicates with the ECM. The trim values are in the ECM, not the PV.

Last edited by BobRR; 08-29-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:16 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 562 Likes on 393 Posts

The problem is you've been riding like an old man.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

You can go to The Turbo Shop, (TTS) and download their Manual.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
You think you've could've gotten some bad gas and it just happened to be 91 octane?
I can't even buy gas higher than 91 and my bike runs fine.....

Lon

The following users liked this post:
Vernal (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:50 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

The PV does not store anything.
Ok
It just communicates with the ECM. The trim values are in the ECM, not the PV.
Your right,
But here's a question;
What "made" the ECM store those values beyond those set and loaded by the factory?
Did something change the ECM data values?
Please explain how to access the factory ECM Auto-tune mode.

Last edited by JohnMn; 08-29-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

It has to remember the trim values for each cell, otherwise, it would not smooth out, it would be like "groundhog day" and constantly repeating the addition of the same trim values to each cell. As the article says, the o2 sensor is used to try to keep the afr close to 14.7.

Having said all that, I do have a PowerVision installed on my bike. One of the options available to me is to "Reset Trim Values". I do not think the PV does anything but communicate with the ECM. I use it to download Dynojet maps and display gauges. But I could take it off at any time. So the PV is not remembering anything. But, as I say, it does give me the ability to "Reset Trim Values". If you read the Dynojet website the way they describe the ECM and trim values, they say that the ECM learns the trim values and remembers them. Dynojet says that if you download a new map you should Reset the trim values. All of this is where I got the idea that the more you ride your bike the better the bike will run. The Trim values are referred to as "learned" values.
First, you've come to the wrong forum to learn about EFI and how it works. You'd be better off going over to the The Dyno Room forum where you'll find actual professionals that know what they are talking about. Here, you'll likely suffer a blizzard of ignorance.

As to some of your comments... You are correct, there are "trims". There are short term trims and a limited number of long term trims. Only the long term trims are saved. I say the long term trims are limited in number because - per one of the pro's in The Dyno Room - there isn't one for every cell in the lookup table. There are only a handful that cover/effect zones of the table. Your ""groundhogs day" remark is actually the way it works for the short term trims. The short term trims are not remembered, and yes all the error has to be corrected out each time a cell is traversed (assuming you remain in the cell long enough to do so). This is why it's important that the VE tables are calibrated as accurately as possible. The more error the more time it takes to correct it out (assuming the error isn't too large to be corrected).

As to the O2 sensors being used to keep AFR at 14.7 (for the closed loop region). That was they way it worked in older calibrations. However, HD expanded the used range on the narrow bands from 14.2 to ~15.0 for closed loop when they went to the 12mm O2 sensors (2014?).

Last edited by T^2; 08-29-2018 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BobRR (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Man, does all this reinforce why I like simple bikes.

When did everyone get convinced that motorcycles need to be complicated in order to run well? Map, auto-tune, adaptive fuel tune, EFI, ECM, O2, PV..WTF?

Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Bob had it exactly right. The EMC has the lean burn standard programmed into it. The EMC checks every so many seconds when in closed loop the O2 content of the exhaust with the narrow band sensors. If the amount is under or over the EPA required 14.7:1 level the EMC adjusts it back to the standard.

That is why one can change the intake and or exhaust without the need for a tune. When they are changed a half hour ride will have the bike running the correct AFR. As said other changes require a tune to get the full effect.

The stock EMC does not adapt in any other manner while riding except ( always there is an exception) The spark curve is set to make the use of 91 octane. If you use anything higher it does not do crap for that higher octane. However if you use lower than 91 octane the EMC MAY reduce the sparks advance when detecting knock. But only for a set time period and it will revert back unless more knocking. The TC motors used ion sensing and retarded the spark 10 degrees {if my memory is correct). M8 engines were improved to sound detection as it is more responsive and the EMC only retards the amount needed and not a single set amount as in the past. It is more precise and much more responsive.

So the stock EMC only impacts AFR and spark advance. One needs to have a tuner to change maps particularly to have a power AFR.

That feature was not 2014 and up. It has been a feature with the first fuel injected H-D bikes. Lean burn H-Ds went back to around 78. My 80 FLT had the jets changed and crankcase vented to the atmosphere the day the first owner picked it up. He also had an oil cooler installed. That is why that AMF Shovel starts and runs so great today at 61K.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-29-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: I think stock ecm auto tuning works