General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undecided Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018 | 08:57 AM
Sherando
|
Advanced
Default Undecided Newbie

Hello All,

Typical story here ... older, kids heading off to school, haven't rode in years and when I did, I owned sport bikes. Now, I've been researching, reading, lurking and visiting shops. Months ago, it was a HD or nothing, then I sat on my first Harley's. I'm wanting to love these bikes, although I couldn't get over the weight and just how unsettling they felt. I'm six foot, 180, but I still couldn't find the fit. Love the Fat Boy, but then I saw the Z900RS Cafe Kawa, and the Suz M109 BOSS. So, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost/weight/performance ratio of HDs. Sport bikes are out - I'm too old. Need comfort, but don't want to sacrifice too much performance.

I dig the HD look and lifestyle, but I don't dig the price in comparison to the weight/performance. I'll keep looking and lurking here, and probably seek out a preowned Fat Boy!
Happy Riding!

Old 08-27-2018 | 09:07 AM
auburntsts
Cruiser
Veteran: Air Force

Welcome! Newbie myself. I wanted to get back into riding after 15 years off and my wife got interested too and took the Harley New Riders course a few weeks ago (we're both retired USAF and they had a Military special for the course). Anyway, we ended up getting her a 2016 Street 750 last week. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on mine--Softail Slim. My advice is go to your local dealer and take a test ride--let that help drive your decision.

Last edited by auburntsts; 08-27-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2018 | 11:40 AM
Bearpaw Mearle
Road Captain

Originally Posted by auburntsts
Welcome! Newbie myself. I wanted to get back into riding after 15 years off and my wife got interested too and took the Harley New Riders course a few weeks ago (we're both retired USAF and they had a Military special for the course). Anyway, we ended up getting her a 2016 Street 750 last week. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on mine--Softail Slim. My advice is go to your local dealer and take a test ride--let that help drive your decision.
Good advice. Thank you for your service!

The following users liked this post:
auburntsts (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018 | 11:51 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

I’ll admit when I bought my first (and so far only) big twin I was a bit intimidated by the weight. I was about a year really feeling at home on it, but time and experience fixed that.

Old 08-27-2018 | 11:56 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

Since you brought up the performance and weight issues, here's my 2 cents worth:
Big twins are designed to ridden on the highway. The motor has a lot of torque, which is good when you're loping along at 60-70 mph & need some grunt to pass someone. or you're riding in the mountains, but they are not much on hp. If hp is your hot button, don't buy a Harley. The Touring line is designed for the long haul & the Softail (Dynas too) have the "old style" look or in some models, the "custom" look.
Touring models generally sit higher & some have Tour Paks which make them feel heavier than they actually are. Dyna models sit high, but are lighter. Softail models (pre '17 anyway) have a lower seat height and an overall lower center of gravity, which at a stop make them feel less heavy than they actually are.
I'd suggest going for a used Harley. You can buy a 3 or 4 year garage queen that may have a lot of accessories already on it for a lot of less money than a new Harley. If you go with a '16 or older Softail, you'll get the added advantage of having it look nicer than the newer ones too, lol
Good luck, have fun & ride safe!

Old 08-27-2018 | 12:07 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

I moved from a 420 lb Honda naked bike to an 850 lb Street Glide. Took like 2 days to get used to it. Just plan ahead when you’re parking, fueling up, etc. A little common sense goes a long way.

And it depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. I do weekend trips, day trips, daily commute, errands,, etc on my RG, no issues. Couldn’t do that on my old bikes. Doing a 700-800 mile day is nothing on a HD bagger...but it’s a chiropractors dream on a smaller bike.

Determine your riding needs, find a bike that fits those needs, buy it. Pretty simple.

Old 08-27-2018 | 12:30 PM
Colorado Mac
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
I moved from a 420 lb Honda naked bike to an 850 lb Street Glide. Took like 2 days to get used to it. Just plan ahead when you’re parking, fueling up, etc. A little common sense goes a long way.

And it depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. I do weekend trips, day trips, daily commute, errands,, etc on my RG, no issues. Couldn’t do that on my old bikes. Doing a 700-800 mile day is nothing on a HD bagger...but it’s a chiropractors dream on a smaller bike.

Determine your riding needs, find a bike that fits those needs, buy it. Pretty simple.
Some pretty good advice here - HDs take a couple of days (or weeks) until you adjust to the size & weight. They are built for a certain kind of ride - if that fits you, great!

Old 08-27-2018 | 01:00 PM
Crimson
Road Master

Or rent one and take it for a few days to see if you can get used to it.

Old 08-27-2018 | 01:04 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Since you brought up the performance and weight issues, here's my 2 cents worth:
Big twins are designed to ridden on the highway. The motor has a lot of torque, which is good when you're loping along at 60-70 mph & need some grunt to pass someone. or you're riding in the mountains, but they are not much on hp. If hp is your hot button, don't buy a Harley. The Touring line is designed for the long haul & the Softail (Dynas too) have the "old style" look or in some models, the "custom" look.
Touring models generally sit higher & some have Tour Paks which make them feel heavier than they actually are. Dyna models sit high, but are lighter. Softail models (pre '17 anyway) have a lower seat height and an overall lower center of gravity, which at a stop make them feel less heavy than they actually are.
I'd suggest going for a used Harley. You can buy a 3 or 4 year garage queen that may have a lot of accessories already on it for a lot of less money than a new Harley. If you go with a '16 or older Softail, you'll get the added advantage of having it look nicer than the newer ones too, lol
Good luck, have fun & ride safe!
I think this is a very good analysis.

The following users liked this post:
Leaping1 (10-07-2022)
Old 08-27-2018 | 01:10 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Have you considered a Yamaha fz09/ tracer or a Ducati scrambler. Not sure what you are looking for but there are brands out there that offer the look and performance that you want. Just not Harley

Quick Reply: Undecided Newbie