General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undecided Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018 | 09:31 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
I have a Sundowner seat and a set of forwards for an Ironhead Ill sell him for a mint.....
I've got that seat too. It helps, but it still doesn't turn it into a Electra Glide.

I will admit though that my opinion of the Sportster r/t comfort is partly due to mine has the engine mounted directly to the frame, no rubber motor mounts. When my older brother bought his first Harley, his was a newer Sportster with rubber motor mounts, and when I test road it, I thought it was much more comfortable than mine. Despite this, when we went on a long ride he complained of the ride. He had an excuse though, back issues, and I didn't have any at the time. Plus, his previous m/c was a Gold Wing. When he complained about how the Sportster rode, I asked him why did he buy one? I could've warned him that probably wasn't the best idea if you wanted comfort. Apparently he had friends and business associates that all rode Harleys, so he wanted to fit in with that particular crowd. It wasn't too long after this that he ended up buying a Road King with air suspension and a touring seat.

Old 09-02-2018 | 02:45 AM
airjoe
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sherando
Hello All,

Typical story here ... older, kids heading off to school, haven't rode in years and when I did, I owned sport bikes. Now, I've been researching, reading, lurking and visiting shops. Months ago, it was a HD or nothing, then I sat on my first Harley's. I'm wanting to love these bikes, although I couldn't get over the weight and just how unsettling they felt. I'm six foot, 180, but I still couldn't find the fit. Love the Fat Boy, but then I saw the Z900RS Cafe Kawa, and the Suz M109 BOSS. So, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost/weight/performance ratio of HDs. Sport bikes are out - I'm too old. Need comfort, but don't want to sacrifice too much performance.

I dig the HD look and lifestyle, but I don't dig the price in comparison to the weight/performance. I'll keep looking and lurking here, and probably seek out a preowned Fat Boy!
Happy Riding!
I'm 68 years old and have been riding almost 50 years. I currently own a 2015 Ultra. Riding a 900 pound bike is more about technique than brute strength. My only issue is backing up nose in on an incline. Going to fix that soon. There is a local company here that makes a sprocket that will provide a reverse gear. I figure that could add another 5 years to my riding career. Test ride a few and see what fits you best.

Old 09-02-2018 | 03:08 AM
HP1
Advanced

I think you have to be mentally ready to make the switch from other bikes to Harley. I sold a VFR800 and bought a sportster 1200, which I tried to ride like the VFR. That didn't work so I bought a FatBob which I tried to ride like the VFR, again no good. I had a couple of GS1200s that are outstanding bikes, but I didn't love them, just admired them.
Now I have a 2018 Heritage 107. I'm loving the riding again. The handling and performance are closer to my expectations and the 'soul' is there.
In short Harleys offer you something different to UJMs and BMWs, and I think you have to be wanting that, or you will end up disappointed. Just my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by HP1:
Calif Fat Bob (10-07-2022), ole_phart (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018 | 05:37 AM
JackStaff
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sherando
Hello All,

Typical story here ... older, kids heading off to school, haven't rode in years and when I did, I owned sport bikes. Now, I've been researching, reading, lurking and visiting shops. Months ago, it was a HD or nothing, then I sat on my first Harley's. I'm wanting to love these bikes, although I couldn't get over the weight and just how unsettling they felt. I'm six foot, 180, but I still couldn't find the fit. Love the Fat Boy, but then I saw the Z900RS Cafe Kawa, and the Suz M109 BOSS. So, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost/weight/performance ratio of HDs. Sport bikes are out - I'm too old. Need comfort, but don't want to sacrifice too much performance.

I dig the HD look and lifestyle, but I don't dig the price in comparison to the weight/performance. I'll keep looking and lurking here, and probably seek out a preowned Fat Boy!
Happy Riding!
If u want something to make ur dick bigger, has curb appeal and represents something special in ur life buy a rice burner? Just kidding!

Old 09-02-2018 | 09:52 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kngpn
When's the last time you rode?

Depending on how long it's been, consider buying a used cheap bike to see if you're still interested in riding, and get the kinks worked out. Get those skill tuned again.
/thread.
Take a refresher class.

Old 09-03-2018 | 10:18 PM
Bearpaw Mearle
Road Captain

Originally Posted by George Vee
I haven't rode in 20 year and bought the 2018 sport glide. HD is offering 1.9% with 0 down
Bags and fairing come off in seconds, like having 2 bikes in one.
The inverted fork makes this one of the better handling Harleys

I want one.

Old 09-05-2018 | 12:00 PM
Sherando
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by JackStaff
If u want something to make ur dick bigger, has curb appeal and represents something special in ur life buy a rice burner? Just kidding!
Ah yes ... and there it is. Thank you JS, you're the winner of the most unnecessary and least helpful comment! I can't recall saying I needed to increase the size of my package, although it seems to be on your mind, so consider getting help.

Old 10-07-2022 | 09:26 AM
Leaping1
Advanced

Take a serious look at the Heritage. I'm 75 and getting over a major heart attack two years ago. I still ride about 10K a year and I find the Heritage one of the best all around bikes I've ever owned. Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-07-2022 | 09:40 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Leaping1
Good luck with your decision.
Which he probably made 4 years ago when he started this thread.

Old 10-07-2022 | 10:51 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Leaping1
Take a serious look at the Heritage. I'm 75 and getting over a major heart attack two years ago. I still ride about 10K a year and I find the Heritage one of the best all around bikes I've ever owned. Good luck with your decision.
after 4 years, let's hope he's finally either shat or gotten off the pot

Quick Reply: Undecided Newbie