General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does riding keep your brain younger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 03:01 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

I am so pissed at myself because I did not save [and have been unable to find] an article I read several years ago comparing the numbers of tasks per minute one must process: 1) driving a car; 2) riding a motorcycle; and 3) flying a plane. As best I recall, riding the motorcycle was 4x and flying a plane was somewhere around 8-10x the tasks of driving. So yes, I believe riding keeps us sharp [of course, some of us started with a duller wit than others ]

Old 08-28-2018, 03:24 PM
krouke
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

My message was it doesn't pay to let your m mind wonder on a bike let alone in a car. I did fly small aircraft and I tell you this every time I took off and landed I was breathing heavy because in a plane if ONE thing weather be a pilot brain fart or a mechanical or instrument issue you only have a couple seconds to get your act together because 1 thing turns into 2 then 3 and even at 2 things becoming mistakes or failures it is likely it will be too late to recover especially on landing and take off. That's when the majority of issues pop up ! I loved flying but I always had to talk myself getting into the plane and forcing mself to request taxie or holding short of the runway, than once I departed well I had no choice but to relax !

Old 08-28-2018, 03:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,010 Likes on 17,911 Posts

Riding where I do everyday is an A game day, you bring any less and it will hurt or worse, so yeah it helps keep the synapses firing correctly.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:33 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by krouke
My message was it doesn't pay to let your m mind wonder on a bike let alone in a car. I did fly small aircraft and I tell you this every time I took off and landed I was breathing heavy because in a plane if ONE thing weather be a pilot brain fart or a mechanical or instrument issue you only have a couple seconds to get your act together because 1 thing turns into 2 then 3 and even at 2 things becoming mistakes or failures it is likely it will be too late to recover especially on landing and take off. That's when the majority of issues pop up ! I loved flying but I always had to talk myself getting into the plane and forcing mself to request taxie or holding short of the runway, than once I departed well I had no choice but to relax !
Good Buddy of mine was learning to fly.
Said the instructor told him there were three basic rules to a successful flight:

#1. If you get disoriented and don't know where you are; you have to 'fly' the plane
#2. If you misjudge the weather; you have to 'fly' the plane
#3. If things don't go the way you planned (dark or distance); you have to 'fly' the plane

Old 08-28-2018, 11:15 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I credit my 62 years of riding to being a hard line defensive driver and winter riding where factors like surface conditions, following distance, careful maneuvering among other things is more critical and helps keep the skills up.

At 78 I am beginning to question my long distance riding in remote areas alone. I have slowed down since mid July but only because I acquired a bigger building to house the collection and am rehabbing it myself which is taking much longer than I planned and even skipping Sturgis.

I am considering less touring next season. We will see.

So my answer to the question is staying active does keep performance up at a level of much younger riders is yes.. I still had at least a dozen rides of seven to eight hundred mile days. Six of them were on my 6 day 4,200 mile ride to Laughlin River Run at the start of the season this year. I was caught in two major thunderstorms one in Missouri and one in Kansas during that ride.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:29 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 328 Posts

Fact - medical studies have proven any "puzzle" solving is good for physical brain health, especially as one has aged.

In the case of motorcycle riding, could one deduce the puzzle of watching traffic and the need to coordinate one's
limbs to shift gears be healthy?

I'd answer yes to the OP question.

Speculate - fear, excitement, fun etc the emotions...I could find no reference toward physical brain health. Only mental health.

All FWIW.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:38 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,717 Likes on 2,130 Posts

my dad is 95, still takes short rides, has ridden since 1940, his mind still as sharp as when was 30 so I say yes it does.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I prefer to think that watching naked dancing girls keeps me young. I just ride my bike to get to them.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:20 PM
Northforty
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

59 years old and yes I feel younger when I am on the bike. Love it!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

You don’t quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding

Quick Reply: Does riding keep your brain younger?