General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife who won't ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Neekorelli
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own 4 motorcycles and I'm hoping to buy a 2019 Road Glide Special in the spring. My wife isnt into riding at all and honestly, thats how I like it. I ride for me.

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Bone101
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would get a trike.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone101
I would get a trike.
She wouldn't ride a trike either. I am not quiet ready for one of those yet. She saw me looking at them online earlier and asked if I was buying another bike? I told her I don't know yet. She said "get it, but I ain't riding it".

I told her I don't want another bike unless she is gonna ride with me. She sais "Boys and their toys, Y'all are never happy." Then she sais "Riding is your thing, I am not interested."

I guess I will just deal with it. My luck if she ever decided to ride and an unfortunate event happened, she'd get busted up and I would come out unscathed.

Think I may go test ride one Tuesday. The MoCo depends on middle aged baby boomers such as myself.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:57 AM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,700 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I appreciate all the comments and responses. We just celebrated our 33rd Anniversary yesterday and have a great life. She simply has no interest in it at all. She had a couple of uncles both killed on bikes when she was very young. Both had just returned from Vietnam were liquored up and killed the same night in the same accident.

She has no problem with me riding motorcycles and never has. I have a few friends I ride with on occasion who take their wives along. I really think she would enjoy it once she went along with other couples. The irony is the others I ride with tell me they wish they had the freedom to take off whenever they want without having to take their wives.

I never have that issue. The biggest issue is I just can't justify buying that Twisted Cherry Road Glide. I would never ride it solo instead of the Road King.
1 day apart. My wife and I since August 25 1985

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by almostakeeper
1 day apart. My wife and I since August 25 1985
When I was working in the entertainment business, I would be gone gone for as long as ten months at a time. Since I retired, we seem to do better if one of us not home. Should get real interesting when she retires in five months.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:48 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

My wife will not ride either, as traffic gets worse it gets worse.
She used to ride (had her own scooter for around town) then she got hit three years in a row (in her car).
She says MAYBE when we leave the city and the traffic she may try it again (time will tell).

Old 08-27-2018, 07:11 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,365 Likes on 3,584 Posts

My wife and I have been together for 36 years. I rode when she met me and she loved riding with me. I liked it too. She always wanted to be with me if possible. Over the years I got where I did not want to ride 2 up. I encouraged her to ride her own but it seemed to go nowhere. Finally I changed up my bike and it only had a solo seat. I would take off for a ride and she could not go because the fender is not comfy. She got the message. She took the riding safety class and got her license. She bought a 1200 Sporty and rode it for about a year then got a used Softail and rode it for a couple of years. In 2016 she bought herself a new Deluxe and she is very avid rider. We ride together constantly. Now that she rides she somewhat understands why riding with someone on the back would be different. I am lucky.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:14 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,083 Likes on 12,188 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss

When I was working in the entertainment business, I would be gone gone for as long as ten months at a time. Since I retired, we seem to do better if one of us not home. Should get real interesting when she retires in five months.
Oddly enough, my ex's decision to divorce me coincided with my decision to do business locally instead of the heavy travel I did for 10 years prior.

Suffice it to say, the ex did not ride with me ever. Not to say there was causal effect. Just sayin.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

My GF of 15 years loves to ride and lets me go solo riding w/o question when she wants to babysit her grandson. She doesn't care where and when I go on a day trip, 2-3 day trip or a week long trip. All she cares is when I get back home with smile on my face and knows I tend to shower her with gifts. I feel very blessed to have her in my life.

She got her endorsement in the fall with the thought of purchasing a Sporty in the Spring, then rode snowmobiles with me at Tug Hill, NY known as Capital of Snowmobiling, got into an accident and realized that she isn't up to riding on her own motorcycle. She sat me down and explained her fear of not wanting to ride motorcycle which I was disappointed at first, but fully understood and respected her.

Thorey

Old 08-27-2018, 02:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

This weekend was interesting, as I've said mama has no interest in riding or bikes in general. Big flea market weekend here in town, thousands of people out having a good time. Few bikes here and there at the neighbors and I notice Roe is over looking at one. Somebody had a trike, she notices me and says " now that looks like it could be fun".

Yikes !! I'd love to have her with me but I am not ready for diapers and a tricycle yet.

psyshack (08-30-2018)

Quick Reply: The wife who won't ride