General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife who won't ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
My wife wanted nothing to do with riding until I got the Limited. I was at a crossroads- sell the ricer and get out of riding, or get a different bike. Took Mrs. Brewmany with me to the Harley dealer- she saw the Ultra's and said, I'll ride if I can sit on something like that. She liked the throne passenger seat on the Ultras. OK, I can probably deal with that requirement.

We bought the Limited that day, and haven't looked back.

I enjoy every moment she's with me on rides, but I also have plenty of opportunities to ride solo- 100 mile work commute and all.
That's awesome. Your lucky. We were down in the Bahamas last week for our Anniversary and took a cab over to Atlantis on Paradise Island. We saw a bunch of people riding rented scooters.

She sais "hey we should have rented one of those for the day." I said "you'd ride on one those little bitty *** scooters but not the Road King?" She replied "yea, those aren't dangerous"

Two days later we were on a private island called Coco Cay, where we rented SeaDoo wave runners. She rode her own and had a blast. I told her as much fun as she had on the wave runners she would love riding on the Harley. She said "Ain't gonna happen"

I just let it go

Last edited by Cbyway; 08-25-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:31 AM
PCboiler
Road Captain
Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts

Sounds like you should let it go...

My wife will only do fair-weather, short rides... to dinner and such.
So I don’t push for much more... will sometimes mention, we could take the bike. But know that a high percentage of the time, that’s not happening.
I’ve put a recurve screen on as she mentioned the head buffeting on her helmet... then I talked about a better seat for her, but hear “don’t spend that ‘for me’”... I would do what ever if she’d ride more, but I know it ain’t happening. So I’ve let it go.
She knows it’s my passion, just not hers.

Ride safe brothers
pc

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 11:26 AM
archie31636@gmail.com
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting wife to ride

I didn't ride for long time. Not at all while the kids were small. As my youngest was nearing high school graduation I told the wife I was about to buy a Harley. Oh it was hell no you not, if you get one don't think I'm going ever to get it and ride with you, she wouldn't put up with it, all kinds of crap like that. I heard all that and told her I was about to get a Harley. Less than 2 weeks after I got the bike was in my shop making it mine. She comes out there told me once I got comfortable on the bike she would ride. Now if my T-Bags not on it loaded setting on bitchseat for long ride as backrest. She thinks she supposed to be on it. I told co-worker that once he ask how I would have felt if she left because I bought the bike. Had to say would have hated to see the woman go but I loved Harleys and wanted one way before I knew her. Basically you the one that wants he bike if she don't want to ride that her. But I bet other than seeing you riding and having fun by yourself sooner or later she'll hope on. And get into it when she sees it not that dangerous and is a fun way to sightsee on weekends.

Last edited by archie31636@gmail.com; 08-25-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 04:54 PM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Jim
My wife has no interest in riding with me or on her own. Both of my bikes are set up with solo seats and no passenger pegs. She knows I enjoy riding and is always supportive if I decide to head out. I enjoy my time alone and I enjoy coming home. No complaints here.
That's me. I'm always solo and seldom with other bikers.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 07:14 PM
RKDavid
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 23 Posts

Cbyway I feel your pain, mine rode while we were dating, then once we were married she won't get back on it. I've always rode and still do, took the kids along with from time to time. She doesn't care that I ride, but she won't.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 12:40 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Hopefully eventually she will. I left early this morning and came back at 8pm. Logged over 400 miles. I got home and she asked "How was your ride?" I said "Great".

She said "Glad you enjoyed yourself."

She has no issues other than not wanting to go. It was however a great day. The King ran like a top.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:14 AM
vonh12
Road Warrior
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

Happily married for 47 years and there's no way in he77 she has any interest in riding on any motorcycle!! I ride solo through the week (short trips) and reserve weekends for her. She has mentioned maybe a trike might work!! Not sure I'm ready for that yet.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:33 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,774 Likes on 6,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I do get that. But there comes a point, if that is why you are doing it, you are in bad relationship.

There is a line in there somewhere, Between going out and having fun, and marrying poorly.
Every relationship I have ever had was a bad relationship, with each ending worse than the previous. At the time, I was still able to ride and riding cleared my mind of all that bullshit. Perhaps that's why I am like I am now, since I had to give up riding.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:31 AM
krielly66
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Opposite issue here. My husband has ridden for years but due to being vertically challenged, he's never fully enjoyed us riding two up. Often times I wanted to ride after work when he didn't. He has a very physical job and neither of us are spring chickens. I decided to take the course last year, get my endorsement, and ride my own bike. We ride more now than we ever did. I do miss the bond of riding two up sometimes, but would rather ride separately than seldomly.

The following 4 users liked this post by krielly66:
BelchFire (08-27-2018), Carl '69 (08-28-2018), Cbyway (09-04-2018), TwiZted Biker (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,083 Likes on 12,188 Posts

Riding started off as the glue that held mine and Cheryl's relationship together. But now our riding has tapered off some. Busy schedules have really taken a toll. But I do appreciate the times we still ride locally. And we may ride to Nashville and the Smokies in a few weeks so we'll see.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)

Quick Reply: The wife who won't ride