General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife who won't ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:26 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
I am lucky because I have the perfect riding wife. She likes to take a day trip with me, usually on a beautiful weekend day, when some couples are all riding together. But, she isn't interested in riding with me every time I go, so that leaves plenty of guys-only rides. And, she has absolutely no interest in multi-day rides, but will fly to Vegas and meet me there when I do my yearly two day ride with a group.
This sounds awefull familiar to me..

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 10:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

First wife got too fat to let on a bike quick. Second wife loved it as much as I and while I've gone through many a fun rear seat warmer none come close to the riding bond we had. Woman I've been with for the last 14yrs has zero interest in riding but is very supportive in all respects to my habits and my life orbited bikes heavily for years, wasn't on it I was in the garage working on or building one for somebody. All she asks is a proof of life phone call if a little ride turns into an hours or days kinda thing.

Wife doesn't want to ride don't push it as long she's good with you and your habits involving it.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 10:30 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
I am lucky because I have the perfect riding wife. She likes to take a day trip with me, usually on a beautiful weekend day, when some couples are all riding together. But, she isn't interested in riding with me every time I go, so that leaves plenty of guys-only rides. And, she has absolutely no interest in multi-day rides, but will fly to Vegas and meet me there when I do my yearly two day ride with a group.
That is far from perfect. But I guess better than the guy who started this thread. Yearly 2 day ride?? Ya I guess it doesn't matter if she likes to ride.

I have been lucky to have a woman ride with me to Alaska and around the country. I do more than just bar hopping, not that I am against that. So I am glad she will come with.
I do say make you actually have a comfortable bike. My FLHR sucked for the passenger stock. I swear some guys must hate women with the seats they have on.

Some women and guys are never comfortable and will chase their tails forever. If you are into, you will put up with some discomfort just to get out a bit. Other thing, is make sure she knows you can handle the bike. So many people waste their lives without a bike, get the house paid off, and buy big Harley, and can't handle it. I am sure she can tell.

Originally Posted by Prot
There are many that like to ride solo to get away from the crazy.
I do get that. But there comes a point, if that is why you are doing it, you are in bad relationship.

There is a line in there somewhere, Between going out and having fun, and marrying poorly.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-30-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:25 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I appreciate all the comments and responses. We just celebrated our 33rd Anniversary yesterday and have a great life. She simply has no interest in it at all. She had a couple of uncles both killed on bikes when she was very young. Both had just returned from Vietnam were liquored up and killed the same night in the same accident.

She has no problem with me riding motorcycles and never has. I have a few friends I ride with on occasion who take their wives along. I really think she would enjoy it once she went along with other couples. The irony is the others I ride with tell me they wish they had the freedom to take off whenever they want without having to take their wives.

I never have that issue. The biggest issue is I just can't justify buying that Twisted Cherry Road Glide. I would never ride it solo instead of the Road King.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:57 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I ride,,, you don't? No need to go any farther. And if she thinks she's going to change the rules down the road. Here's a house and some money,,, go ruin another mans life. I have no use of you. You knew I had gasoline in my veins when you met me. Off with yeah.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:33 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

My wife and I rode all over western creation for our honeymoon 9+ years ago. The honeymoon is over, and now I prefer riding alone. Thankfully she's ok with that... most of the time.

Last edited by MTBIG G; 08-25-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 01:45 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I appreciate all the comments and responses. We just celebrated our 33rd Anniversary yesterday and have a great life. She simply has no interest in it at all. She had a couple of uncles both killed on bikes when she was very young. Both had just returned from Vietnam were liquored up and killed the same night in the same accident.

She has no problem with me riding motorcycles and never has. I have a few friends I ride with on occasion who take their wives along. I really think she would enjoy it once she went along with other couples. The irony is the others I ride with tell me they wish they had the freedom to take off whenever they want without having to take their wives.

I never have that issue. The biggest issue is I just can't justify buying that Twisted Cherry Road Glide. I would never ride it solo instead of the Road King.
So buy the twisted cherry road king special instead.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:40 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
So buy the twisted cherry road king special instead.
There is nothing about the RK Special that appeals to me. If it had I would have purchased it to start with. I am a Vivid Black and chrome lover myself.

It's not about wanting another bike. It's about if the wife would ride I certainly would buy another bike with all the creature comforts.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

My wife wanted nothing to do with riding until I got the Limited. I was at a crossroads- sell the ricer and get out of riding, or get a different bike. Took Mrs. Brewmany with me to the Harley dealer- she saw the Ultra's and said, I'll ride if I can sit on something like that. She liked the throne passenger seat on the Ultras. OK, I can probably deal with that requirement.

We bought the Limited that day, and haven't looked back.

I enjoy every moment she's with me on rides, but I also have plenty of opportunities to ride solo- 100 mile work commute and all.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 09:13 AM
rtbuck89
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

I have the best of both worlds. My wife loves to go on a 2-5 day trip once or twice a year, but I'm solo the rest of the time, except for maybe 5-6 shorter rides.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)

Quick Reply: The wife who won't ride