General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Al's helmet..Any safety?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:13 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten
My currant helmet gives my pretty bad mushroom head. Not exactly cool looking. I'm thinking about picking up a Crazy Al's helmet. Do these helmets have any safety factor or are they a 1/2 gram over DOT limits?
Pushin 50 and stuck somewhere between cool and safe

https://www.amazon.com/Bikerhelmets-...5%3A2470955011
The helmet is legal due to having the DOT sticker, as far as safety or protection that is an entire different story. Id say it is probably safer than a novelty helmet but that is about as far as I would go. I feel folks should wear whatever they like or don't wear a helmet, it should be their choice. If you are looking for a helmet due to looks and you like this one then get it, but if you are basing your decision on protection then that would be at the bottom of the list.

DOT testing is done by helmet manufactures on the honor system so basically the manufactures states they tested the helmet, but there is not even any reporting required. So its basically just their claim
SNELL certification is done by a third party with a little more rigorous testing than is required by DOT standards

Personally for me I look for ECE certification as it is also done by a third party with strict reporting requirements and favors more impact absorbing standards that impact resistance

Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,845 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Pretty much. The DOT sticker is for all intents and purposes, meaningless. The only helmets that don't have a DOT sticker are the ones where it is blatantly obvious that they would not pass a random DOT inspection test. The DOT only randomly(and rarely) will conduct tests on helmets to ensure they meet the standards and they pretty much leave it up to the manufacturer to self-test. There is a false assumption by some that to get a DOT approval, a manufacturer submits their helmet for some kind of test or evaluation and if it passes, they get to put the sticker on it.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:24 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Headed to BWJ's dicipline session huh?
The other yankers want some too

[/QUOTE]

Old 08-21-2018, 08:30 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

There are other brands out there try a Skid Lid on for size was having the same issue fixed it for now. Maybe a size bigger will help.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:35 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I think it is the same helmet as the Akoury, Worlds Smallest DOT, and a couple other brands. I've seen them sold side by side and the only difference I can see is the box and on some models the buckle/ratchet strap/D ring.
I have the the crazy ALs helmet.
i bought it at a place that had crazy als helmets and Akoury helmets.they are not the same.
crazy als helmets are for a rounder head,Akoury are tighter on the sides,narrower.
Don’t know which one is safer,think the liner is a little different also.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (08-24-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:03 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by rdc401

I have the the crazy ALs helmet.
i bought it at a place that had crazy als helmets and Akoury helmets.they are not the same.
crazy als helmets are for a rounder head,Akoury are tighter on the sides,narrower.
Don’t know which one is safer,think the liner is a little different also.
The local place here has Crazy Al's, World's Smallest DOT and one other one that looks all the same. I thought it was the Akoury but I must have been mistaken. Maybe Daytona??(brain fart, can't remember) I know there is another name brand I've seen with them. I've seen them come off the truck on the same pallet, owner said he orders so many total and is just random whether it's in a Crazy Al box or T.W.S DOT box.

I'm not sure which I need. My wife says I need one with a propeller on top made for a fat head.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:30 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,926 Likes on 2,441 Posts

If you have to ask that question, you don't want to hear my answer..

The following 2 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
lowend73 (05-18-2022), tar_snake (08-24-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:38 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

The local place here has Crazy Al's, World's Smallest DOT and one other one that looks all the same. I thought it was the Akoury but I must have been mistaken. Maybe Daytona??(brain fart, can't remember) I know there is another name brand I've seen with them. I've seen them come off the truck on the same pallet, owner said he orders so many total and is just random whether it's in a Crazy Al box or T.W.S DOT box.

I'm not sure which I need. My wife says I need one with a propeller on top made for a fat head.
I tried both on my head,Akoury ak88 on my head and it squeezed the sides of my head and the crazy als helmet didn’t.
they may be made by the same company,I don’t know I just know they fit different.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:46 AM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

The guy told you wrong! I have owned Akoury, Daytona, and now have a WSB (which is Crazy Als in another name) They are not the same. And while I own one, I will be the first to tell you that it is very, very little protection.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Is this a joke thread? 50 and worried about helmet mushroom head? Wtf.
No...its not a joke. There is no interstate riding where I live. If there was I'd hit the road and not worry about it. It's mostly if not all stop and go suburban type riding in my area. Lots of 3rd and fourth gear and I'd rather not look dopey with a mushroom head helmet. Pretty much everyone wheres a scull cap helmet where I live. You must be a youngster to think pushin 50 means a full face helmet on trike with the wife heading to the farmers market on Sunday morning and back

Quick Reply: Crazy Al's helmet..Any safety?