General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eastern Tennessee

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:28 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Eastern Tennessee

I only have a weekend to explore. I知 in Indianapolis and hope to leave on a Friday about 4. Have to be back Sunday cause wife starts a new job!
Im thinking of riding to Lexington ( about 200 miles) and then on Saturday do some riding in the mountains. I知 looking for recommendations and ideas of things to do and see.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,812 Likes on 2,546 Posts

A couple of years we (wife and I) on a vacation rode down to Greenville ,S.C. to see some old friends. We stayed overnight in Chillicothe, Ohio but then the real ride started. We rode south on US52/US23/US58 down to Kingsport, TN. If you ride to Kingsport then north to Portsmouth, Ohio those are some good roads that are cut through the mountains or wrap around the mountains. Good experience for a flat lander like myself, then head west and make your way back to Indy from Portsmouth. My wife took a ton of pictures to keep her occupied. If you decide on this route there is an anomaly in the road just north of Ashland, Ky. Don't know what you are looking for, this is just a suggestion.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:07 PM
wiliturk
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me throw this at you. I assume you mean Lexington, KY.? Head over to Winchester, KY and get on the Mountain Parkway towards Prestonsburg, KY. You can pick a multitude of routes from there to Hazard, KY. About 20 minutes from Hazard go to Hyden, KY and get on 421 south to Pennington Gap, VA. Pay attention and you will see the Gorilla face in the rock cliff right after you cross the VA line. Outside of Pennington Gap get on Rte. 70 South towards Rogersville, TN. You can stay in Pigeon Forge, Johnson City, TN, or go on towards Ashville, NC. Sunday morning get up ride towards Waynesville, NC and go down to Deals Gap. Go thru the Gap to Sevierville or Knoxville and super slab it home. I have no idea of the miles, but it would be a great ride.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:20 PM
181fsc
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 63 Posts

Cherohala skyway is an awesome ride. I ride it regularly. The dragon is best during the week and NOT on weekends.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:22 PM
wiliturk
Cruiser

A few more thoughts. To do this you will have to move. If you would push on to Ashville, I26 is a cool ride. Topping out at Sams Gap is something. Saturday in Downtown Ashville is the topless festival. I'm wanting to do that myself.

Originally Posted by 181fsc
Cherohala skyway is an awesome ride. I ride it regularly. The dragon is best during the week and NOT on weekends.
I have to agree. But just ride thru.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-22-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 08-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,279 Likes on 10,094 Posts

I was in West Virginia once...man it gets dark down there don't they have street lights???

Old 08-16-2018, 08:00 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I must have been asleep when I wrote the op.
I meant to say we are going to eastern Kentucky.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:31 PM
wiliturk
Cruiser

Hit the Mountain Parkway to Prestonsburg. From there you can go North or South and work your way back west. I suggest the Southeastern corner around Pikeville, Whitesburg, Harlan, Hazard. You could ride on west to Corbin and slab it back to Lexington. I had some excellent rides there this summer. Nice curvy roads and some beautiful scenery. Wherever you go you will enjoy.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by walkerinin
I only have a weekend to explore. I知 in Indianapolis and hope to leave on a Friday about 4. Have to be back Sunday cause wife starts a new job!
Im thinking of riding to Lexington ( about 200 miles) and then on Saturday do some riding in the mountains. I知 looking for recommendations and ideas of things to do and see.
Also in Indy. Take 74 to 275 to 75. Skip Louisville. Knoxville has a bunch of stuff to do. There's a great rest stop with a tourist info center right across the TN line. Stop in, and hit the Knoxville rack.

You absolutely have to visit Smoky Mountain Harley in Alcoa. Foothills, Dragon, Cherohala are all lifetime experiences.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:13 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 305 Likes on 219 Posts

Check out the red river gorge area and the Nada tunnel is pretty cool. I just got back from that area. You can also the natural bridge while you are there.
The tunnel is on highway 77 leading in to the gorge.

Quick Reply: Eastern Tennessee