General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flintstone brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:04 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Also sounds like the driver is laughing as he brake-checks, just before the impact. A-hole driver, stupid rider.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:51 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Not cool to laugh at others misfortunes but hard not to chuckle a bit seeing the smoke come off his boots when he put his feet down Fred flintstone style.

But it I think it is a natural reaction to do this if you have not had a lot of saddle time for braking to become automatic. I remember back when I first took an mfs class I did something similar when another rider lost control and crossed my path. Automatic Instinct is to put your feet down to stop your momentum. It’s not until you get experience and practice that muscle memory becomes automatic and you use both brakes by default.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 AM
HarleyD1929
Tourer
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts

Ride a dirt bike around a track or trail without puttin' your feet down..
his reaction was instinct, or experience at a different level..
he was trying to keep his bike up.. not easy to do at highway speeds..
the people in the car should be in jail right now..
I'm not saying the biker is an innocent victim, who knows(except the parties involved) what started it..
​​​​​

Old 08-14-2018, 11:04 AM
BelchFire
Club Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyD1929
<snip> the people in the car should be in jail right now..<snip>
​​​​​
True dat. I wonder what it would take to get an investigation started. I'm sure YouTube could back-trace the ISP, but would they?

Old 08-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by SoGA
True dat. I wonder what it would take to get an investigation started. I'm sure YouTube could back-trace the ISP, but would they?
Sure they could, it would come back to me since I uploaded it to youtube. But, I didn't take the video, nor do I know who did.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:02 PM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 762 Likes on 328 Posts

it looks like to me the biker sped up quite a bit after going around the first car... and that the car he hit did slow down before impact... I'm thinking there was maybe some road rage going on before hand..... what confuses me is, it does look like he did have a tire locked up, as right before he hit, it looks like the rear is sliding to his right?? O,, and his spinning back tire gives him an extra roll at the end....... Geeeeeez,, I have watched it to many times!!

Last edited by HarleyBob52; 08-14-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyBob52
it looks like to me the biker sped up quite a bit after going around the first car... and that the car he hit did slow down before impact... I'm thinking there was maybe some road rage going on before hand..... what confuses me is, it does look like he did have a tire locked up, as right before he hit, it looks like the rear is sliding to his right?? O,, and his spinning back tire gives him an extra roll at the end....... Geeeeeez,, I have watched it to many times!!
Enlarge it and watch it in stop action and you will see that he never touches the front brake.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,089 Likes on 12,020 Posts

How do you lock the rear brake with the right foot on the ground? Is the rear tire skidding because of panic downshifting?

Old 08-15-2018, 12:54 PM
BelchFire
Club Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
How do you lock the rear brake with the right foot on the ground?
I wondered that myself and then realized that the entire video is in reverse. Unless he's in UK, he's driving on the wrong side of the road and both exhaust pipes are on the left side of the bike. Watch again, but watch the other hand...

Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by SoGA
I wondered that myself and then realized that the entire video is in reverse. Unless he's in UK, he's driving on the wrong side of the road and both exhaust pipes are on the left side of the bike. Watch again, but watch the other hand...
Good catch.

Quick Reply: Flintstone brakes