General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018 | 04:46 PM
sag3435@gmail.com
|
2nd Gear
Default Harley problems

I have a 07 electraglide and I noticed a problem with my bike when I'm in first or second sometimes 3rd gear and I let off the gas and slowing down before I pull in the clutch and downshift it feels like the primary shakes very bad its definitely not normal but when I pull in the clutch or give it gas it goes away I feel this only when riding and let off gas slowing down please help !

Old 08-12-2018 | 07:02 PM
mitchxout
Cruiser

Sounds like you're letting the rpms drop too low and bogging the engine.

Old 08-12-2018 | 07:21 PM
sag3435@gmail.com
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mitchxout
Sounds like you're letting the rpms drop too low and bogging the engine.
its never done this before could it be bad berings or something else wrong ??

Old 08-13-2018 | 07:39 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

If could be anything from bogging as stated to clutch, motor mount or anything else...

Old 08-13-2018 | 07:45 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Loose primary chain, low primary fluid, needs changing?

Old 08-13-2018 | 08:14 AM
sag3435@gmail.com
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Loose primary chain, low primary fluid, needs changing?
I already drained out the old primary fluid and put ams oil in and I have no leaks in the primary this was maybe about a few months ago i put new fluid in. Motor mount looks okay havent opened up the primary to check for anything yet just wanted to see what kind of input I can get and what I should be looking for before I go taking it apart what else could it be ? Something worse ? Hopefully not hopfully it's just a bad tensioner or loose chain something simple

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
If could be anything from bogging as stated to clutch, motor mount or anything else...
clutch adjustment ? Why would it bog it's never done it before all the sudden it's doing it now maybe bad inner primary bering ?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-22-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 08-13-2018 | 09:38 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by sag3435@gmail.com
I have a 07 electraglide and I noticed a problem with my bike when I'm in first or second sometimes 3rd gear and I let off the gas and slowing down before I pull in the clutch and downshift it feels like the primary shakes very bad its definitely not normal but when I pull in the clutch or give it gas it goes away I feel this only when riding and let off gas slowing down please help !
Stop riding it !!! Take it to a trusted dealer. Either an independent or HD before it gets worse...I've been riding Harleys since 1967 and never heard of this. A sudden loose primary chain is not something that just happens with out other issues being present. If you are not sure what to do, take it to a trusted shop. It could save you hundreds of dollars in the long run. Did I say Stop riding it ??

Old 08-13-2018 | 09:39 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

Open up your primary and go over it good thats were I would start.

Old 08-13-2018 | 09:43 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
Stop riding it

Based on the limited description here, it certainly sounds primary-ish. Time to stop guessing and start investigating. Pull the outer primary cover and have a good look around and go from there.

Old 08-13-2018 | 09:44 AM
sag3435@gmail.com
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
Stop riding it !!! Take it to a trusted dealer. Either an independent or HD before it gets worse...I've been riding Harleys since 1967 and never heard of this. A sudden loose primary chain is not something that just happens with out other issues being present. If you are not sure what to do, take it to a trusted shop. It could save you hundreds of dollars in the long run. Did I say Stop riding it ??
what other issues have to be present? Do you have any idea of what this could be by chance ?

Just so everyone knows I have no rode it since I felt the vibration I'm not a idiot lol

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-22-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Multiple posts

Quick Reply: Harley problems