General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legalities

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Katie
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legalities

If you ride somewhere, park your bike, leave it, & some fool comes along, & in touching the bike, hurts themselves.. are you liable? Friend said a cop told him he needs to have a small 'warning sign' of some sort on the bike, like a lid sticker, saying 'touching bike at own peril' kind of thing just in case... (Yes, I know, they are dumbasses, they shouldn't have etc& all that, however, ???

Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Legalities

To my knowledge, you are not responsible for the stupid actions of someone in a public place. If anyone would be liable it would be the owner of the business where your bike is parked.

Now, if they hurt themselves while touching your bike at your house, you are liable under your home owner's policy.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure a leo on the site has better information.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
JC650
Road Captain

If someone were to burn themselves lets say on your pipes when you are parked at a restaurant, a small warning sign will do nothing to prevent a bloodsucking lawyer from suing you. We have all seen the frivolous lawsuits time and again on tv.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Yes they can sue. Can they get anything??? The scum lawyer will just try for a quick settlement.

I have this $4 million law suit going on because my brother tapper a Caddy in my truck. No damage, no injuries, but still greif.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Silverearl
Road Captain

Don't you think that cracking pipes is worning enough?? If you are stupid enough to touch something that sounds hot then you need to have third degree burns... And it is on your leg from trying to sit on it be thankful that I was not there to see it cause there would be no legleft when I got done.. Burnt or not...

Old 06-28-2007, 12:18 PM
gconklin
Road Master

just installed my Scorpian alarm with perimeter option... so if they get that close, they'll hear warnings. And if they don't take heed and get burned, they can't say they weren't warned. Just hope they don't leave any burnt skin on my pipes, or I'll sue!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Katie

If you ride somewhere, park your bike, leave it, & some fool comes along, & in touching the bike, hurts themselves.. are you liable? Friend said a cop told him he needs to have a small 'warning sign' of some sort on the bike, like a lid sticker, saying 'touching bike at own peril' kind of thing just in case... (Yes, I know, they are dumbasses, they shouldn't have etc& all that, however, ???
In today's litigious society, nothing surprises me. One has to remember that there have been numerous cases BOTH FILED AND WON wherein an individual - in the act of either breaking into or escaping a victim's residence - has injured himself in the process. As a result, said criminal filed suit against the homeowner for his having injured himself on their private property. Yes, all the while robbing the place. Said cases have been won by the individuals. Essentially, leaving the homeowners both robbed and screwed in the process. Helluva' system, aye?

Now then, as to the subject at hand. No warning label (of sorts)is going to serve as a legal safeguard in the event that one is of the inclination to file suit. It's kind of like those stupid signs we've all seen on those dump trucks that purports they are not liable for falling rocks/cracked windshieldsand to stay back a safe distance. Guess what? They are liable and it has been proven such time and time again in court.

It would be horrible if a child brushed up against a scorching hot pipe. This, no doubt. And, I could easily see the parent wanting to seek some sort of restitution for same. This, irrespective of what we all know to havebeen an accident. If medical costs resulting from a severe burn are substantial enough, I could see how one just might pursue the matter legally and how the courts/lawyers might find some measure of recourse to be in order. But no, having a sticker on a bike is not going to serve as a legal 'I told ya' so' in my mind's eye. At least, any attorney worth his salt would see to it that it had no bearing whatsoever.

Lastly, and contrary to popular opinion, individuals can (in many instances) be held liable for the stupid actions taken by others. It's just the society in which we live. Just my take on the deal.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

Let us ponder the application of the aforementioned warning sticker in the vein of the tried and true method of invoking the question in the form of the Devil's Advocate.

Assuming the placement of the appropriate warning sticker on said pipes or bike, I ask you, were you previously aware that said pipes may cause bodily injury to the general dimwit public at large?

I say unequivacally, you WERE previously aware that damage may have a propensity to occur from your vehicle since you, onyour own volitionplaced a warning in proximity to said offending property or parts.

Therefore you indeed DID possess prior knowledge that burning and maiming may occur, but did nothing to prevent it except place the aforementioned warning sticker that was in all likelyhood only printed in English and therefore uninterpretable by 99.9% of the world population and that you in like kind placed no physical barrier around said offending parts or hired such person or personsto maintain sufficent distance from said offending propety or parts while in a precarious or injurious state.

Thisbegs to offer up the like scenario whereas a homeowner placesan advisory sign in said homeowners yard or in proximity to the homeowners premise or premises with the admonition or advisory or cautionary wording regarding said homeowners canine or canines,such as "Beware of Dog". Does this not in effect telegraph and conveythe fact that said homeowner is aware of and openlyadmits that his dog or dogsmay have an innate propensity to perhaps enclosean ouside member of the general dimwit public around any number of his extremities and clamp down with overzealous force, thereforepossibly rendering puncture wounds and unchecked flows of bodily fluids in said dimwitted public person or persons?

As i am not an attorney and do not portray one on television or public media, I offer up the following observation:

Just watch out for little kids and screw the rest........if they get burned let them talk to the people that made the pipes with the deep pockets.........

Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

Well,

Let us ponder the application of the aforementioned warning sticker in the vein of the tried and true method of invoking the question in the form of the Devil's Advocate.

Assuming the placement of the appropriate warning sticker on said pipes or bike, I ask you, were you previously aware that said pipes may cause bodily injury to the general dimwit public at large?

I say unequivacally, you WERE previously aware that damage may have a propensity to occur from your vehicle since you, onyour own volitionplaced a warning in proximity to said offending property or parts.

Therefore you indeed DID possess prior knowledge that burning and maiming may occur, but did nothing to prevent it except place the aforementioned warning sticker that was in all likelyhood only printed in English and therefore uninterpretable by 99.9% of the world population and that you in like kind placed no physical barrier around said offending parts or hired such person or personsto maintain sufficent distance from said offending propety or parts while in a precarious or injurious state.

Thisbegs to offer up the like scenario whereas a homeowner placesan advisory sign in said homeowners yard or in proximity to the homeowners premise or premises with the admonition or advisory or cautionary wording regarding said homeowners canine or canines,such as "Beware of Dog". Does this not in effect telegraph and conveythe fact that said homeowner is aware of and openlyadmits that his dog or dogsmay have an innate propensity to perhaps enclosean ouside member of the general dimwit public around any number of his extremities and clamp down with overzealous force, thereforepossibly rendering puncture wounds and unchecked flows of bodily fluids in said dimwitted public person or persons?

As i am not an attorney and do not portray one on television or public media, I offer up the following observation:

Just watch out for little kids and screw the rest........if they get burned let them talk to the people that made the pipes with the deep pockets.........
If you're ever seeking employment and find yourself in Austin, let me know.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Yep, you'd probably be held liable. So might as well kick the **** out of the person that touched your bike and is suing to get some satisfaction out of it. Or their parents if it was a child.

Or you could countersue them I guess, especially if you get your suit in first, it might lessen their ability to try to sue you.

Quick Reply: Legalities