General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter disengages early

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,612 Likes on 849 Posts
Default Starter disengages early

Hi All:

2007 Street Bob, around 70,000 miles. Sometimes, usually when the motor is hot, when I try to start it, the starter cranks the engine a little bit, then disengages early, as if the engine had started. It then starts on the next attempt, and hasn't left me stranded or anything. Any ideas what is causing the problem? It has only done it once on a cold start, otherwise hot start only.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:52 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,665 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "disengages early". Does it stop cranking the motor, or does it spin fast like it's not connected to anything?

Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Battery getting old?

Old 08-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Newer battery, plenty of juice. The starter gear engages when I hit the starter button, and then suddenly disengages like the engine has started, even though the engine has not started. Usually I immediately release the starter button and try again, and it starts normally.

One time I kept the starter button depressed, and the starter spun freely for a half second, and then re-engaged.

This is not a serious problem yet, just an occasional, intermittent thing, but these things always get worse with time and use.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Sounds like the starter clutch is getting ready to check out, usually your compression will rise on a hot engine and the starter a little harder. The starter clutch operates like a Sprague clutch or a one way roller bearing. When the little units inside the clutch wear out they can't maintain the grip or fail altogether.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 07:13 PM
RDHIGH
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

By disengaging- do you mean the starter "zings" freely and not "grinds" as like the starter clutch? If it "zings" it could be alot of things- like the starter solenoid not working properly- or the clutch hub starter ring is worn or clutch hub bearing is wonky- or starter gear is worn- or starter is loose on its mount. I'd pull the starter off and see if the solenoid and gear are working ok. But make sure the starter isnt loose in its mount first.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:25 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

My guess is the starter clutch is wearing out. My 2011 Road Glide used to do that sometimes. I suspected the starter clutch but the weird thing about it was I could turn off the ignition, let it sit a few seconds, turn it back on and it would start normally. I traded the bike before I figured it out for sure but my local indy said I was about to lose the starter clutch.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,022 Likes on 17,919 Posts

I agree it's the starter clutch going out, common problem and easy to replace if you are into doing it yourself

Old 08-11-2018, 05:49 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd suspect the starter clutch - the sprags might be slipping. A Kit is available to replace the clutch Doesn't sound like the problem is the starter. The clutch is p/o the starter and to replace it the starter itself must be removed. This can be done from the right side of the bike. Ensure you have isolated the battery before removing the starter. Use the proper tools with extensions and be careful not to strip the heads of the bolts. Also be careful not to drop the bolts into the primary. MIght be a good idea to do a search on the HDFORUM for additional info/pics.

Not a difficult job if u have the correct tools and take ur time. I believe the kit is around $200.

Last edited by JackStaff; 08-11-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Thanks everyone. Like I said before it's only happening occasionally, but it's sure to get worse.

Quick Reply: Starter disengages early