General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil on dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 PM
Robert Rodriguez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil on dipstick

Bought my First Harley and shes a beauty...but....they said they serviced it before i picked it up..2011 Limited with the 103..rode it on a very Hot day..about 98 degrees..took wife out for dinner (happy anniversary) 42k miles on bike..anyhow 30 minute ride..starting to get very Hot..knocks and almost stalls..park it on the stand pull dipstick and NO oil on the stick..WTH im thinking..now im arguing with dealer..he told me he spoke with 15 techs.and they all said it wouldnt hurt the engine..cause there was oil in it right..oil consumption test done .5 qt in 1k miles..im worried about premature bearing failure..any thoughts..and yeah..my bad..i should of checked the oil when it was brought out from service/detail for delivery...

Last edited by Robert Rodriguez; 07-31-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Add
Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Copy that.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

First, congrats on the new bike.
You'd be surprised how long a motor can run without damage on relatively little oil. It may not have hurt the bike but since you just got it you want to make sure.
I wouldn't trust any dealer that told me he consulted with 15 techs. Why, wasn't he satisfied with the answers from the first 5?
How hot did it get, and where did the knocking come from and is it still doing it? Who determined it used that much oil?
How many miles did you put on the bike before this all started?
Sorry about all the questions (and I still have more), but there's always 2 sides to a story and yours begs for some clarification.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:15 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 706 Likes on 299 Posts

The knock you heard could have been detonation, not necessarily a mechanical knock. Hot engines detonate more easily than a cool one, but honestly, 98 degrees isn't really hot enough to cause you problems if everything is right. I rode my Fat Boy to Lubbock the other day at a little over 105 degrees and it never missed a lick. That said, oil is part of the cooling system for the engine in addition to lubrication. Low on oil could very well have the engine running hotter. Either way, no oil on the stick is not good in my book. You say it ha had a oil consumption test. Was that before or after this happened? Just curious, because if the bike has been running without issue it might indeed be fine, but there isn't a guarantee. If it has a few miles on it since this happened, pull the oil filter and cut it open. I like to cut a section of the filter media out and squeeze it in a vise to get the oil out. When you pull it open you can see everything that is in the filter. If it has anything in it I would be going after the dealer for a refund or repairs. Preferably the repairs would not be done in the same shop that can't put oil in it.

Was this a Harley dealer, or an independent? I am always suspicious when someone says something like "I spoke to 15 techs and they all said no issue". I am not a Harley mechanic by trade, but I have been working on industrial engines for 30 years and I would bet I couldn't 15 of the guys I know to all to say that an engine with no oil showing on the stick that had reported noise was "nothing to worry about" just like that. Every one of the guys I know would be asking questions like how much oil was in it when the tank was drained? Did you cut the oil filter open and look for metal? Does a bore scope show any scoring on the cylinder walls? It's basic stuff and I would call BS on the dealer for saying that. Tell him to give you the names of the 15 techs so you can talk to them and see how much pucker he has. Tell the dealer that since his service guys didn't fill it with oil, and all his guys are confident that it is not issue, then he wouldn't have any trouble giving you your full purchase price back for it.

Sucks that this happened to you, but you are right about always checking your oil. Never trust anyone unless you know them well.

Last edited by Gas Smasher; 07-31-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 PM
Robert Rodriguez
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
First, congrats on the new bike.
You'd be surprised how long a motor can run without damage on relatively little oil. It may not have hurt the bike but since you just got it you want to make sure.
I wouldn't trust any dealer that told me he consulted with 15 techs. Why, wasn't he satisfied with the answers from the first 5?
How hot did it get, and where did the knocking come from and is it still doing it? Who determined it used that much oil?
How many miles did you put on the bike before this all started?
Sorry about all the questions (and I still have more), but there's always 2 sides to a story and yours begs for some clarification.
air temp was roughly 110..no..its not knocking..dealer did oil consumption test..400 miles after purchase...and please ask away..

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
The knock you heard could have been detonation, not necessarily a mechanical knock. Hot engines detonate more easily than a cool one, but honestly, 98 degrees isn't really hot enough to cause you problems if everything is right. I rode my Fat Boy to Lubbock the other day at a little over 105 degrees and it never missed a lick. That said, oil is part of the cooling system for the engine in addition to lubrication. Low on oil could very well have the engine running hotter. Either way, no oil on the stick is not good in my book. You say it ha had a oil consumption test. Was that before or after this happened? Just curious, because if the bike has been running without issue it might indeed be fine, but there isn't a guarantee. If it has a few miles on it since this happened, pull the oil filter and cut it open. I like to cut a section of the filter media out and squeeze it in a vise to get the oil out. When you pull it open you can see everything that is in the filter. If it has anything in it I would be going after the dealer for a refund or repairs. Preferably the repairs would not be done in the same shop that can't put oil in it.

Was this a Harley dealer, or an independent? I am always suspicious when someone says something like "I spoke to 15 techs and they all said no issue". I am not a Harley mechanic by trade, but I have been working on industrial engines for 30 years and I would bet I couldn't 15 of the guys I know to all to say that an engine with no oil showing on the stick that had reported noise was "nothing to worry about" just like that. Every one of the guys I know would be asking questions like how much oil was in it when the tank was drained? Did you cut the oil filter open and look for metal? Does a bore scope show any scoring on the cylinder walls? It's basic stuff and I would call BS on the dealer for saying that. Tell him to give you the names of the 15 techs so you can talk to them and see how much pucker he has. Tell the dealer that since his service guys didn't fill it with oil, and all his guys are confident that it is not issue, then he wouldn't have any trouble giving you your full purchase price back for it.

Sucks that this happened to you, but you are right about always checking your oil. Never trust anyone unless you know them well.
well...they didnt drain the oil..just added till it was right and taped the cap on (tamper tape)..no bore scope down cylinder..wish id thought of that..thanks..heading in fri for compression and leak down test..love the bike..wouldnt sell it back..lol..its running strong..and yeah ive lost the warm fuzzy feeling with service dept..

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-08-2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-31-2018, 09:34 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

FIRST POST.
Welcome to the Forum
I don't know if I've been to a dealership that had 15 techs.
If the OP reads this - Do an oil change - inspect the oil for color and metal particles - as stated cut open the filter and do the same.
If you don't see significant particles, check oil level after the change and then start it up and let it warm up. If you don't hear any abnormal noise, take it for a ride. Listen to it as you ride and after you get back, for noise.
Let it cool and check the oil level to see if it has changed

Old 07-31-2018, 09:43 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm...I think this sounds.......... well......fishy ???

Old 07-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Robert Rodriguez
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
Hummmmmmmmmmmmm...I think this sounds.......... well......fishy ???
yeah..a little bit..all i want is for them to gurantee eng for 30k..but we will see..social media can be a bitch...

Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Rodriguez
Bought my First Harley
42k miles on bike..anyhow 30 minute ride..starting to get very Hot..knocks and almost stalls..park it on the stand pull dipstick and NO oil on the stick.
arguing with dealer..he told me he spoke with 15 techs.
consumption test done .5 qt in 1k miles.
Uh-huh,,
social media can be a bitch...
Yeah,, no kidding.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:45 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,367 Likes on 7,931 Posts

yeah..a little bit..all i want is for them to gurantee eng for 30k..but we will see..social media can be a bitch...
Did the oil pressure warning light turn on?

Quick Reply: No oil on dipstick