General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil on dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Your dealership probably doesn't have 15 techs. Buyer beware.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:23 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Any smoke? Exhaust smell? Any drips? With that kind of oil loss it should be noticeable.
Otherwise oil is cheap, check it often.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:58 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Now, let's think logically for a second...do you REALLY think that anyone in a dealership is gonna take the time to check with 15 techs,about someone's bike. which sounds like bodero to me also...I have never even SEEN a dealership with anywhere close to 15 techs. I think he was horseshitting you. About 18 years ago, I took my brand new Lowrider in for 1K service; they drained the tranny oil & forgot to refill it...found out when I shifted to 4th & the bitch was SCREAMIN' like a loose belt on a car engine.

For the future, remember Dickey's #1 rule of bike (or car)-buying: Never EVER buy used ANYTHING from a dealer.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:58 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,318 Likes on 6,129 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
...For the future, remember Dickey's #1 rule of bike (or car)-buying: Never EVER buy used ANYTHING from a dealer.
I've bought lots of used bikes and cars from dealers. IMO its better than taking a huge depreciation hit the minute you roll it out the door. My #1 rule is check the damn thing out before you buy it.
  • Test ride it, several times, not just once. When I bought my 03 Road King I spoke to the owner of the dealership and asked him if I could take it for a real ride, not just the prescribed route the give you. He said sure, we close at 7, just be back before then. I took it out and put about 150 miles on it that day with the wife on the back.
  • Check the fluids. I was recently considering buying a used Electra Glide from a local dealership. I spoke to the sales guy and asked what services had been done to the bike and he assured me all fluids changed, inspection, blah blah blah. I actually got down on and pulled the dipstick and checked it myself. Sales guy told me in all the years he had worked there I am only the 2nd person he's seen actually pull the dipstick on a bike.
  • Run your hand up under the rear fender. If you find little pieces of rubber stuck inside the fender, walk away and don't look back. The bike has probably been beat.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:03 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Rodriguez
Bought my First Harley and shes a beauty...but....they said they serviced it before i picked it up..2011 Limited with the 103..rode it on a very Hot day..about 98 degrees..took wife out for dinner (happy anniversary) 42k miles on bike..anyhow 30 minute ride..starting to get very Hot..knocks and almost stalls..park it on the stand pull dipstick and NO oil on the stick..WTH im thinking..now im arguing with dealer..he told me he spoke with 15 techs.and they all said it wouldnt hurt the engine..cause there was oil in it right..oil consumption test done .5 qt in 1k miles..im worried about premature bearing failure..any thoughts..and yeah..my bad..i should of checked the oil when it was brought out from service/detail for delivery...
I'd ask(?) the dealer to eat the cost of an oil/filter change. Run the bike several hundred miles and then u do another with dealer supplying the replacement oil/filter. Examine the oil (drain plug) for metal debris? Use this as evidence for your argument re: bearing, cylinder/ring wear. Contact MoCo and explain the situation - this 'establishes' your complaint timeline. Serious damage could have been done to the engine. Ideally, you want to get your money back on the bike.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:28 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Rodriguez
....was checked at 42074 and found to be 2 dots down on dipstick or 5 from full line since im told 3 dots down on dipstick is considered full....
you lost me here. 2 dots down is 5 from full if 3 dots down is full??
but enough of numbers. I think we got the idea pretty well.
1500 miles or so and you have a good idea you need to check and add oil frequently.
, this would not bother me at all. You have a used motor, not a new one.
As noted above, oil is cheap.

And look for oil leaks or puddles of oil under the bike, smoke from exhaust, or maybe
gathering in the air cleaner. If it slowly gets worse you may need valves or rings.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM
Robert Rodriguez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kickstartfan
you lost me here. 2 dots down is 5 from full if 3 dots down is full??
but enough of numbers. I think we got the idea pretty well.
1500 miles or so and you have a good idea you need to check and add oil frequently.
, this would not bother me at all. You have a used motor, not a new one.
As noted above, oil is cheap.

And look for oil leaks or puddles of oil under the bike, smoke from exhaust, or maybe
gathering in the air cleaner. If it slowly gets worse you may need valves or rings.
compression and leak down test completed..10% leak down which is the max..long story short dealer stepped up and met my expectations..thanks for the insight and advice and believe me..i did use some of it..thanks again...

Old 08-05-2018, 09:15 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

If they just added oil pull a sample and send it to one of the companies for a complete analysis.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:39 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Any smoke? Exhaust smell? Any drips? With that kind of oil loss it should be noticeable.
Otherwise oil is cheap, check it often.
dude I love Tom and Jerry. Couldn't get enough of it as a kid. "Texas Tom"....good episode.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,235 Likes on 10,082 Posts

Uh Oh................