General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just took my first trip on a Harley...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:14 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

SO will decent rain keep you dry and allow you to ride in the rain? How much does decent gear cost? Not looking to tour on this bike but I will want to make 500 mile day trips.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,355 Likes on 3,583 Posts

I once planned a trip from here in Florida to Virginia. It started to rain just as I was leaving. Donned the rain gear and took off. I thought I would run out of it soon. It rained all the way to South Carolina. I got a room, dried out the boots and got some sleep. The next day was beautiful and sunny all the rest of the way to VA. Riding in the rain is miserable.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:46 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,668 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
SO will decent rain keep you dry and allow you to ride in the rain? How much does decent gear cost? Not looking to tour on this bike but I will want to make 500 mile day trips.
Many, myself included opt for the HD Hi Viz gear as the stuff works pretty good. Include the gators and you are good to go. Last time I bought it was about $250ish. Don't bother with the frog togs or you may be scraping it off of your exhaust as many before you.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:52 AM
top0211
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

I have ridden many miles in the rain, including the remnants of a hurricane. As someone said, warm rain is a pain, but cold and wet sucks. I bought an HD rain suit and have never gotten wet inside the suit, except for sweat. I actually bought mine large enough to wear over my chaps and jacket for colder temps. I believe HD rain suits to be a great set up.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
"decent rain gear" depends on what you want it to do for you. If you want something to allow you to ride a 500 mile day in the rain, get some good gear. Gore-Tex is the best. It's also the most expensive, BUT....it works and keeps you from seating to death under the rain geAR too. And it depends on what kind of bike you are riding also. If it's a big touring bike with a fairing, that keeps a lot of rain off you by design. In that case, I'd buy the Tourmaster brand or Harley Davidson stuff. Make sure you can get it on over boots easily.

Good footwear is important too. Harley makes some great water repellent boots. Your feet stay dry all day. Wolverine makes some good rainproof boots also.
The main part of raingear in my opinion is the jacket. That's why I like Tourmaster jackets. They are made of 600 denier Cordura outer layers and it will keep you dry even without a jacket over it. Then you just have to have a good pair of rain pants.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsoldier181
Funny, I am willing to bet a lot of us here had, at some point, encountered rain woefully unprepared.
My first REAL rain storm was only a couple years ago. I rode to work, it was gorgeous. I rode the 25 miles home in a thunderstorm, in the dark, in HEAVY rain.
Half helmet, crappy safety glasses.
Leather jacket
Jeans
Boots.
That was the WORST. It took almost a week for the leather to dry....I couldnt see 20 feet in front of me at any time. I pulled over to wait the storm out for a half hour, and it never let up. So, I just endured.
Now, my rain gear resides in a saddle bag.
All.
The.
Time.
That's the part of riding in the rain that I dislike the most: The lousy visibility.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but anymore, if I can afford the time, I'll just pull over somewhere and wait it out.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Because it so rarely rains in California I generally never plan to ride if rain is likely, but of course there is always the unexpected. California roads are particularly bad in rain because of the oil and gunk buildup. Rain usually means that it is time to pull into a rest stop to wait it out; preferably one with covered parking.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:19 AM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
I bought my rain gear on this forum in Gear and Other Items for Sale, it was less expensive and was as advertised.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:40 PM
BuckKnuckle
Road Master
Received 1,033 Likes on 403 Posts

Get good rain gear. The cheap stuff either leaks, or is like wearing a rubber bag, which doesn't breathe at all.
The HD rain gear is great -- I love it! Breathes nicely and is pretty easy to get on and off.

One other trick I learned that has been a HUGE help when riding in the rain -- get a pair of "shooters glasses", or any sort of bright-yellow
lense glasses. You would not believe how nicely they cut through the rain/mist/fog and clarify your vision when riding in the rain.
I'll never ride in the rain without them again.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:19 PM
MMH
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckKnuckle
One other trick I learned that has been a HUGE help when riding in the rain -- get a pair of "shooters glasses", or any sort of bright-yellow
lense glasses. You would not believe how nicely they cut through the rain/mist/fog and clarify your vision when riding in the rain.
I'll never ride in the rain without them again.
You are right about that! I have not used 'yellow glasses' for decades. I shoot allot & hate them when I am shooting, but used to use them as driving glasses in bad weather a long time ago, Thanks for the reminder on how well they cut through rain & fog.

Quick Reply: Just took my first trip on a Harley...