General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 708 Likes on 301 Posts

I am lucky to have never hit one in a car or on a bike, but several close calls. I was riding in Wyoming one morning early, about 5:30 give or take. I had just turned from one highway onto another one. One of those intersections in the middle of nowhere with a couple of big lights, a gas station and a couple of houses but bark as hell everywhere else. Still coming up to speed, maybe going 45 -50 mph. Maybe my eyes hadn't adjusted back to the blackness yet, or I wasn't fully awake yet or something, but like a lot of people say, they just appear right in front of you. I saw an antelope right in the middle of the road about 20 yards or so ahead of me. Scared the crap out of me and naturally I fixated on it grabbing brakes and moving toward the shoulder of the road, when out of the corner of my eye I get this brown thing moving just off my right hand and another one was right there. To this day I don't know how I didn't hit it. Didn't hit either one. Scared the crap out of me. I have had several close calls in my truck, but that close one on the bike really rattled me.

I had a good friend hit one on his Road King a couple years back and it nearly killed him. He said the thing came came out of the ditch like a warm blooded missile and must have jumped because he believes it came down on his arm and tank. He was going about 60 and it was dusk.

Bad stuff

Old 08-02-2018, 05:33 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,362 Likes on 6,151 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
Where's all the blood? Why aren't the guts all over the place? Why isn't there one drop of blood on the prop or plane? It's a photoshop. Good grief.
I'm sure the deer didn't just run into the prop while the plane was sitting there idling. It probably happened on a runway away from the location of the picture and they removed the deer. As for blood, maybe it was washed off. IDK.
I can tell you though I used to load tanker trucks for a living and one night one of my regular drivers showed up late. The ladder on the side of his tanker was bent backwards and there was fur and guts hanging on it. I asked him what happened and he said a deer jumped out and caught the ladder while he was doing about 70 mph. It split the deer in half just like in the pic above. Fur and a small amount of guts were stuck to the ladder rungs but I was shocked at how little blood there was. Almost none on the ladder and a few splats on the trailer fender.