General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:40 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,366 Likes on 6,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I'm in Pa too and I hate riding after dark. I ride to work pretty often and its just starting to get daylight out when I leave, deer all over so I usually creep along until I get to town. I really hate those roads where there's a corn field on both sides along the road. There's literally no way to see them until they step in front of you.
My wife's uncle damn near died from hitting a deer on a bike back in the early 80s. He and his brother were out in the middle of no where in Perry county when a large deer jumped straight into the guy while he was doing about 45-50 MPH. Took him off the bike and he rolled along the road for a while. Being where they were and no cell service his brother had to leave him there and ride to a house several miles away to call an ambulance. Several broken bones, and some serious cuts and lacerations. It took the ambulance a while to get there so he damn near bled to death before the ambulance arrived on scene to help. Spent a couple weeks in ICU and months to recover.
Originally Posted by TriGeezer
How effective are the deer whistler things? Has anyone hit a deer with them installed?
The guy in the story above had one on his bike. He says they are very effective at making the deer freak out and jump in front of you.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:42 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

My buddy hit one a month or so ago. Was doing about 90 or so and split the deer in half. He was banged up, but luckily no broken bones. He's back up on 2. Just not the same 2.

Bike was a total loss.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:46 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Be careful getting back up to speed. I have had 5 deer run in front of me, at one time. Like a tag team.
Where there's one you can see, there's almost always several you cannot.

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
How effective are the deer whistler things? Has anyone hit a deer with them installed?
One of my riding buddies did. Had one on each side, still hit a doe.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-23-2018 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
The following users liked this post:
TKDKurt (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Deer are bad enough in North Georgia, but I was in Ohio on company business - geezus! - they were everywhere and in the middle of the day. At least here, they mostly wait until dusk.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

They are everywhere here in central Texas. I've hit five deer with cars over the last twenty years. In 2015 I hit one on the bike. Actually she hit me.

It was 0520 and I was ten miles from home on a two lane country road going about 55-60 mph. I was scanning left and right and a doe was just there. I saw her on my right about one second before her head hit my right passing lamp/turn signal assembly and her leg hit my engine guard and right highway peg. Immediately after impact, time slowed down as I saw her body swing around me and then took out one of the straps on my right saddlebag. I didn't go down. There was no engine or paint damage. I sustained a fractured metatarsal because I rest the ball of my foot on the highway peg. There was no time to brake. Just tighten the grip on the handlebars and hope for the best. If I was travelling just a bit slower or she was running a bit faster it would have been a different ending. I was fortunate.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Here's my idea...

Old 07-18-2018, 08:53 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
Here's my idea...
It has only been tested on dump trucks.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:18 AM
iamcmf99
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

A couple of years ago I was heading into workhere in SW Pa, when a deer ran in front of me. My front end bounced off of the back end. Thump. I pulled off of the road to calm down. Counted my blessings.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:44 PM
S&S145
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Was out on the scoot yesterday riding through two lane overgrown Pa. farm country roads. I was scanning the road ahead visually like I was trained in the MC safety course. , looking for deer, in these parts they are out there and certain roads I call "deer alley" Anyway I was doing about 40-45 and I happened to see a two hundred pounder, a dough. I just braked, and reeled the speed in quickly, figured I'd reduce the impact. The deer was off the road and stepping out, it saw me slowing down and crossed right in front of me. I down shifted and got back up to speed, back to 45 mph. I think whats strange is, I didn't get scared or "**** my pants" at all, it was as if I was reacting to something expected, like a car pulling out of a driveway. Only thing freaky about deer is when they walk right into the side of you , that would be unavoidable. But anyway, anyone else have any deer experience while riding? I know some people mention it all the time, usually the non riding folk, its one of their excuses for not riding at all.
I SHOOT,KILL & EAT EM all year long on my property9 and all with a Stainless COLT 1911 Combat Commander or KIMBER COMBAT CARRY .45ACP or a Stainless S&W Model 629 in .44 magnum . I eat Venison all year round . In a wooded or very rural environment you ALWAYS ned to keep an eye on either side of dim,dark and not lit roads . Swerved away a few times on them,but I take revenge on their brethren and kill & grill . Head on a swivel-watch your 6 .

Old 07-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Deer are delicious. I do not normally harvest then while riding, however.

Quick Reply: Deer