General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Eastern pa. Heavy deer area. Have had 3 crossings in front of me this year so far. Looking for them on roads I know they frequent and riding expecting them helps but they are still what they are. I will avoid certain areas and roads based n time of day to reduce the opportunity for a backstrap dinner. Twice the f’rs waited til i glanced down at the radio to show themselves, the brown blur in peripheral vision makes for a good pucker... needless to say I do that much less now.

defensive riding, luck and skills all have kept me upright so far... think you don’t need hard braking and swerving skills? Ride in critter country. It’s an equal hazard to me as distracted cagers.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

I've had a few close calls but never hit one on a bike (did hit one with a car once). A buddy of mine was not so lucky recently. He was riding his CVO Road Glide Ultra on a state highway in broad daylight, running about 55-60 when all of a sudden this huge deer just dropped out of the sky and landed on his front fender. He never even touched the brake. Totaled the bike, killed the deer on impact, and my buddy went rolling down the highway like a bowling ball and ended up in the ditch. He actually was pretty lucky in that he got away with a severely sprained wrist, a concussion and some light road rash but no broken bones or serious injuries. A split second later and it would've been a different story. The deer would've landed on the gas tank instead.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,891 Likes on 3,702 Posts

I too have experienced a deer strike, but fortunately in a car. Totaled my 2008 Pontiac G6, bought it back from the insurance company for next to nothing, and rebuilt it for my son for his 16th birthday. I have only had one close call on the bike, but I was at low speed and it was easily managed.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 AM
sbrmike
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 630 Likes on 338 Posts

I live in north-central PA, the former big deer capital of PA, Potter County, God's Country. There have been 21 deer/motorcycle collisions near here since May; one fatality that I know of. It is worse this year than it has been for 25-30 years! The deer are everywhere on the roads, not just the known hazard areas. I think it is partially due to the deer population recovering a bit compounded by cell tower and fracking sites reducing their habitat. I have slowed to 45 MPH in response to this; I was getting half afraid to ride this year.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,891 Likes on 11,609 Posts

How effective are the deer whistler things? Has anyone hit a deer with them installed?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Today I am in Wyoming without a bike and this morning I saw plenty of antelope not far from the road. Add the fact that there is no helmet law I wonder how that impacts the people here?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM
tomcatg
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think there are a fewer hunters nowadays as well. Used to have to hunt for a deer 30 years ago, now I could get my limit off my back deck.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:14 PM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatg
I think there are a fewer hunters nowadays as well. Used to have to hunt for a deer 30 years ago, now I could get my limit off my back deck.
They are too protected in my part of the world. One poster above called them rats with antlers. I could't agree more. My son and daughter will be putting a few in the freezer this coming fall/winter.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
How effective are the deer whistler things? Has anyone hit a deer with them installed?
I had them on a company truck and I never hit a deer that wasn't looking right at me I hit three with that truck.........

Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
I had them on a company truck and I never hit a deer that wasn't looking right at me I hit three with that truck.........
THIS^^^^^ They just hear you whistl'n and get to you quicker.

Quick Reply: Deer