General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gremlin Bell aka Guardian Bell.....Did I Miss Something?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018 | 08:07 AM
GregGillette
Road Master

While the Guardian Bell story will interest a young lady enough to comtinue to chat, im certain truck nuts will not bring them near! May actually bring the opposite crowd but if thats your thing, more power to ya

Old 07-29-2018 | 12:40 PM
HarleyD1929
Tourer

The bells I've seen for sale usually have a little card that explains its 'significance'..

not a believer..

some are cool pieces of art though..

Old 07-29-2018 | 01:32 PM
OzHD
Banned

Originally Posted by HarleyD1929
The bells I've seen for sale usually have a little card that explains its 'significance'..

not a believer..

some are cool pieces of art though..
I can appreciate the art, for sure. I can also appreciate and understand the sentiment in the giving - the wishing for safe ride and such.

I was just sort of struck by the comment a few posts above about how they had to come from someone close or they have the opposite effect (drawing bad luck to you?) and just how ludicrous it all was came to me.

Old 07-29-2018 | 02:22 PM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member

Explain how the genius that came up with the idea of a GB is now living in a mansion right next to the guy that came up with the Pet Rock.

Old 07-29-2018 | 02:26 PM
OzHD
Banned

I wonder if the pet rocks play with the bells?

Old 07-29-2018 | 08:59 PM
BuzzCap7
|
Club Member

I dont get y ppl do this.

Does it mean this driver is cool or funi or has ***** or lost his ***** or what? I 'juss dont get it. What does it mean? Maybe it is supposed to be funi?

BuzzCap7

Old 07-30-2018 | 12:36 AM
OzHD
Banned

I gotta admit, never really seen the point myself either. Maybe it's a "these are how big mine are, I'm a biker!"... but then maybe people see it as "I'm compensating for having such small ones in real life"?
Everyone has different views on what is funny or not.

But then, we're all different. Each to his/her own.
E.g. I don't like stickers, even the dealer thing, on cars.

But then I do have a chuckle when i go past a people-mover with those stick-family stickers on it and they are a woman and then 5 cats in place of the expected kids.

And those tow-ball covers - I knew a guy who drove around for years with a huge butt-plug cut out and fitted over the tow-ball. That was funny to see!

A bit like tats - some are great, works of art, or deeply meaningful to the person. And others... you just think, "****, you must have been deeply drunk when you did that one".

I think that seeing them swing back and forth on a bike in front of me would give me a very childish giggle inside, just for the moment. Guilty amusements, like fart jokes.
But long term? I think they'd just be ignored or be distracting.

Last edited by OzHD; 07-30-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2018 | 03:37 PM
BelchFire
Club Member

Originally Posted by OzHD
But then I do have a chuckle when i go past a people-mover with those stick-family stickers on it and they are a woman and then 5 cats in place of the expected kids.
Best one I've seen yet ...
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by W.Murphy
I think of it as a cool tradition & story... So, what if you buy a scoot from a stranger that has a bell on it?? Leave it, take it off, or??
Considering that the story says that a GB should be a gift from someone that loves or cares about you, clearly, it should stay with the PO. His girlfriend/wife/SO didn't buy the bell because she wanted the bike to be safe.

On that same note, my PO left the bell when he sold it and I left it in place. But is it working for me? It wasn't given to my by someone who cares about my safety! Can't hurt, but I wouldn't have gone out and bought or solicited one. Cool story and I'm OK with tradition, but I'm not superstitious.

Last edited by BelchFire; 07-30-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2018 | 03:46 PM
OzHD
Banned

Originally Posted by SoGA
Best one I've seen yet ...
https://www.amazon.com/FGD-Figure-Si.../dp/B00AK05G0Y

Considering that the story says that a GB should be a gift from someone that loves or cares about you, clearly, it should stay with the PO. His girlfriend/wife/SO didn't buy the bell because she wanted the bike to be safe.

On that same note, my PO left the bell when he sold it and I left it in place. But is it working for me? It wasn't given to my by someone who cares about me safety! Can't hurt, but I wouldn't have gone out and bought or solicited one. Cool story and I'm OK with tradition, but I'm not superstitious.
HAHA! - That amazon picture is brilliant... "Position open"... ROFL!

As much as the bells don't mean a lot to me, I agree - one given with love or friendship should stay with the owner, not go with the bike.

I wonder what happens if your gremlins are deaf? Does the bell still work... or is that why bikes with bells still have some problems... deaf gremlins.

Old 07-30-2018 | 04:45 PM
GregGillette
Road Master

The real question is what works better...Gremlin Bell or Deer Whistle? Lol I have both so im covered for all things but space aliens

Quick Reply: Gremlin Bell aka Guardian Bell.....Did I Miss Something?