General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Came Close Today - Vent !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 AM
MountainCat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Came Close Today - Vent !!!

Did another traing session today with the bike school. Plan was to hit the gas station and fill up and then hit the highway during rush hour. There was also a metal bridge we had to contend with as well. And that was to be the high point. Well on the way to the gas staition I was in the rear and got held up by a change in lights. The teacher and other student went on ahead and pulled over half a block up waiting for me. As I make my left turn and proceed to head to the gas station I didn't see the teach sitting parked but I was looking ahead for the traffic situation. Next thing I know I was almost neck and neck with the drivers door of this cab that had just pulled out coming with in a couple inches of taking me out. Good thing there wasn't traffic immediatly beside me as it would of made a pretty ugly sandwich. It sure happened fast... not much a person could of done.... Thank god it all turned out good. Once we got the the gas station the teacher phoned the cab compny to complain. Got the driver's name and car number and disipline with be forthwith for him. Now in hind site though the incident did cause me to not be focused enough on the rest of the session other than the bridge as I had made several mistakes such as speeding, and not properly doing the shoulder checks. Teach said there were 5 or 6 in total that I did. I should of went to the coffee shop or something first and gathered my wits instread of continuing on. I felt though the rest of the ride went good.

A few points that come to mind.... first off is I was riding a different bike for the first time, unfamiliar with the foot controls. I believe it was a road king... floor boards, rocker style gear shift and a way diiferent style brake pedal compared to the sporster I have been traing on or my bike the lowrider. 2nd point is that the bike I was using is the teacher's wife's bike so that even freaked me out more cuz I don't think I was comfortably familiar enough with her bike to be diving into rush hour traffic. 3rd - today's overall experience has opened my eyes even more to the fact that cagers don't see bikers for what ever reason putting me even more on guard now.

I reacted to the situation as best I could avoiding a collision but find myseld=f wondering if there was a different course of action a more experienced rider would of taken. The big thing was I didn't check my left hand mirror to see if there was traffic to my left before ventruing left to avoid the crash..... time didn't permit it. All the teach could say was that it all turned out for the good and that's what counts.

Thanks for letting me vent

MC

Old 06-27-2007, 01:53 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Came Close Today - Vent !!!

You live to ride another day.It'll happen again...

Old 06-27-2007, 04:13 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Came Close Today - Vent !!!

Was in Tucson riding up to the bank. made a left turnon to a busy street. Thing was after I made my turn I noticed there were no other cars infront except for a white Chevy Cobalt. Im in the left lane proceeding to accelerate when without warning the cobalt pulls into my lane! Im at this person's quarter panel by the time I hit my brakes. I try to hit the horn, but my thumb hit the left turn signal!

Collect myself and pull next to the car. Little teeny bopper bitch on her cell phone worst part she didnt even know she almost killed me! And this crap happened this past Sunday too!

f**k cagers!