General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you convert to Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:14 PM
zcaseman
|
Advanced
Default Did you convert to Harley?

There seems to be a lot of people here who converted from jap bikes. Are you one? What made you change your mind?

I grew up 15 miles from Sturgis so every year I got a total overdose of Harleys and literally see hundreds of broke down bikes on the side of the road (that has TOTALLY CHANGED). Harley is an institution there, usually you rebel against the institution. I rode bikes from 12 years old and love anything with a motor. But I always said HD's were to underpowered and too unreliable. The evo changed the unreliable part. Then I drove a twin cam with stage I and was very impressed. Then I saw my Street Bob on the showroom floor, that night my wife almost left me for not consulting her on our new 14k$ debt. (note to those thinking of buying: DON'T Test drive one unless you can buy it). I am very impressed with the thought put into each bike around the rider (I'm not a biker so didn't use that term)

Now I just have to figure out how to make it a 100+ horsepower bike without my wife noticing the bank withdrawls :-) And how not to get fired by searching the internet for bike parts all day.

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:16 PM
UNCCHarley
Road Master
Default RE: Did you convert to Harley?

Yes. I have wanted a Harley for over 20 years but could only afford Honda's and Yamaha's. We had prime seat licenses for the Carolina Panthers in the end zone, row 1. We decided to sell them after a few incidents occured and the management refused to enforce their rules. We made a tidy profit and my wife told me to go out and buy my Harley, which I gladly did. Have never regretted selling those licenses to buy my Harley and still have a huge chunk of change left over.

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:19 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

Virgo to goldwing to roadking.

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:20 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

20 years ago u coulda picked up a running pan for $1000.00 bucks...

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:21 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

"If you have to ask, I can't expain it" is such a cliche, but in part I think it is true for most Harley owners.

Over the years, I have owned 8 motorcycles, with the 1st six being metrics. I had always thought Harley Davidsons however, to be the quintessential American motorcycle, and knew that one day I would own one.

On my 2nd, and while it does not have the same visceral excitement that my crotch rockets had, it is in many ways better.

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:26 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

My dad had bought me several bikes when I was a kid. The first bike I bought with my name on the title was a Harley. Taht was in 1956. Over the years, for varied reasons, I have ridden just about all of them. I've had more metrics than I have Harleys. There are just too many good, interesting bikes out there to not explore what they have to offer. Example being that the last bike I sold was a 02 BMW R 1150 RT. It was an awesome bike in many ways but just didn't have the soul of a Harley. (So many bikes, so little time)

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:28 PM
site351
Advanced

Funny thing this question is on the board at this time.....
cause I just drove up my driveway with my new Softtail Custom..

Its sitting right beside two Suzuki Intruders...which are very good motorcycles. But when I rode the Custom with the balanced engine and 6 six...I was blown away. I'm selling one of the intruders and keeping one.

I bought the Harley cause ever since I sold my Dyna...I haven't been the same....can't put my finger on it....kinda sick to my stomach feelin'....

Harley makes a Nice Motorcycle and damn their a blast to ride...

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:30 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

"If you have to ask, I can't expain it" is such a cliche, but in part I think it is true for most Harley owners.
I couldn't agree more. I started on a honda cx500custom, then a honda shadow 800, then to my 85 fxr and 95 softail custom. Both the hondas were fine bikes and gave me no troubles. However, the moment I sat on that fxr and took it for a ride, I knew I was buying it.

It's kinda of funny to me to see myself end up full circle as far as my rideing style. When I started, I was a lone rider doing the commute thing, and some recreational rideing. Then I met a good rideing buddy, and we started rideing in groups of people, been to lots of places. Now, I am back to ridieing solo, or with wife on the back, just for the enjoyment of rideing, and a little commuteing again.

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:35 PM
1yrb4hd
Banned Camp

I've alway's had brit bikes, something draws me to them. About 3 week's ago I bought my first HD. Picked up a used 89 LowRider, need's some minor work but just mainly need's to be ridden.

Lookin forward to gettin it on the road and riding.

A convert...no

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:46 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer

I started with a Kawasaki 250 Ninja 15 years ago; then a Kawasaki 500 Vulcan; then a Honda VTX1300 Retro. I miss the die hard reliability and cheap price. I also worried less about them. Almost didn't care that much about them other than being my bike.

I treasure my Street Glide. It's a part of the family. I love the hand controls, chrome (it's actually metal), stable ride, unbelievable comfort, and 400 page catalogs just for our bikes.

AND I"M GETTNG OVER THE F&^% ME IN THE A$$ PRICE I PAID!!!!! Life is good. Oh, and the whole Harley brotherhood thing too.

Quick Reply: Did you convert to Harley?