General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you convert to Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 10:16 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Default RE: Did you convert to Harley?

Hey DirtyDave, I "discovered" the Sporty back when it first came on the market with it's rawboned power and near perfect proportions. But, I do have my standards and the "Sporty Shakes" just didn't meet them. The rubber mounts came out in '04 and I'm riding an '04.

If you build it, they will come.

Old 06-28-2007 | 10:24 AM
DirtyDave
Tourer

I've been wondering about those new Sporty's. I haven't met anyone who owned one. A Sportster that does NOT shake??? Hard to believe. I'm glade your happy with it.

Old 06-28-2007 | 10:46 AM
h9ll
Cruiser

No convert here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no way I would ride a "metric". I'd rather walk (and have) than ride one of those soulless knock-offs. Like others have posted I don't buy the "too expensive" excuse. If you want something bad enough then you can get it, this is America.

Old 06-28-2007 | 11:49 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

My previous bike

[IMG]local://upfiles/27899/B9C901DDDB4E4AF2A1E466731E62A47E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2007 | 11:51 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member

It is very interesting reading through this post and reading about so many people talking about the HD soul and how they have never regretted buying a HD.

I grew up riding a yamaha 350 for a dirt bike. It was all I had to ride. I finally bought a suzuki intruder 1400 some years back. I rode it hard, and loved it. I have a friend who rides a HD. He told me I would take care of my suzuki like it was a HD. Even though I loved the bike, there was something missing with the relationship. I took care of it, but I really didn't care what happened to it. Which means, I rode it hard, and put it away wet.

I have always wanted a Road King. All my family has HDs, but I could not afford it. I finally got my 07 RK, and something changed. My RK became a part of my family. I call her my wife.... And yes, I smile ever time I walk passed her in the garage. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something down in my gut that tells me I made the right choice. I even smile when I write out my monthly payment...!

So many of my friends who ride other bikes make fun of me. They say HD stands for Hundreds of Dollars, but they just don't get it. I have a friend who rides a Victory. He is constantly telling me how his bike is a REAL american made bike. Again, he just does not get it. I quess you have to be a HD owner to know what I'm talking about.... Like the rest of you do......

Like it says on the back of my Durango, "I sell my kidney on ebay before I sell my Harley".

Old 06-28-2007 | 01:28 PM
gargoyle
Banned

I grew up around harley my grandfather had a shovel uncle had a sporty it was the only bike there was rode jap dirt bikes at 7 then got a 84 xs650 at 17 paid 400 bucks for it, sold it and got a 84 750 virago (that was dumb) then a87 1100 shadowsold it and got a 80 ironhead at 21 (gave my dad 4 grand for it) fix it up some sold it and got a 76 flh put a lot of work in it loved it just couldn't trust it sold it and got my 94 flht just got done blacking it out. all by the time i was 27 in the mean time built my house and had three kids. (damn i feel old) so i didn't convert just had to ride what i could afford but always knew what i wanted.

Old 06-28-2007 | 02:37 PM
USNDiver
Intermediate

Rode Triumph's for years. Great bikes, but just too small. Upgraded from a Speedmaster to a Springer Classic and never looked back.

Old 06-28-2007 | 05:17 PM
warthawg
Tourer

I started out with an '81 Honda CX500 Custom before we had kids. Wife told me if I stopped smoking she'd buy me a bike. I did, she did. Wanted a Harley, couldn't afford it. Ran it until around 2000 when I forgot to winterize and broke a bolt off inthe head trying to remove the carbs.

In '05 I bought a Suzuki C50T for less than half the price of a Harley. Couldn't justifiy the extra cost and I could pay cash for it.

Kind of looked like a Harley, kind of sounded like a Harley, kind of.....

Call me crazy, but it just wasn't a Harley!

Old 06-28-2007 | 05:29 PM
taylor104
Cruiser

I did'nt get into bikes til about 97'. I rode army bikes and police bikes. In 99 the wife bought me a Suzuki gsx-r 1100 which was sweet. around this time the old knees were starting to trouble me. Couple of years later i was diagnosed with arthiritis of the knees. So I was looking for an easier bike to sit on.
Never wanted a harley, in fact I was looking for a Honda pan european (police bike) when we passed a harley dealer and as they say "that was that"

Old 06-28-2007 | 06:21 PM
dadio
Advanced

Convert? I don't think so!I like anything with 2 wheels![sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]Currently own 1HD,1BMW, and negotiat'n for a Honda.

Quick Reply: Did you convert to Harley?