General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you convert to Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007 | 10:20 AM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Default RE: Did you convert to Harley?

No, it has been the only brand of motorcyle i've owned in the last 20 yearsup to last year. I now own a Victory 8-Ball. I still have a 1991 FXSTS and will keep it forever (hopefully). I will never buy a "new" Harley.

Old 06-27-2007 | 10:52 AM
dumoore
Cruiser

BMW and nothing but BMW's for the last 25 years. That is until I swapped bikes with a buddy, I rode his 03 RK and he rode my 03 K1200RS.I was blowned away...all of the things that I had knocked HD for completely left my mind within the first 20 miles.

Old 06-27-2007 | 11:45 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

I never converted. I have a Honda ST1300, a Road Star Midnight and the Road King, I love all 3 bikes.

Old 06-27-2007 | 11:59 AM
3dynaP
Road Captain

8 bikes, 7 of them metric. All have been very good bikes and all very reliable. Switched over to Harley because I got it used for the same price as a new metric and thought I'd give Harley a go. I'm pretty happy with that decision for many reasons. Tons of aftermarket, lots of dealerships who have parts IN STOCK for repairs when needed. Lots of Indys out there. Accessories are priced pretty well compared to the metric dealers.

Old 06-27-2007 | 12:50 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

I didn't "convert" to Harley. They finally built a bike that I like. I would love to ride a smooth, classy BMW, or a thrilling Ducati, or a musical Triumph, or a finely engineered KawaHonda. But first, they've got to compete with a Sportster.

Old 06-27-2007 | 01:59 PM
DoctorZombie
6th Gear

I rode jap bikes for years - mostly sport bikes.

Then I had a couple friends from work talk me into a trip to Daytona for bike week. I went with the idea that it would be a great time -lots of drinking and general mayhem.

Came back with a new love and appreciation for Harleys. I had a Vulcan at that time and, once I paid it, I bought my Sporty.

Haven't looked back since. I saw the light and was converted to the religion of the MoCo.

Old 06-27-2007 | 02:15 PM
fyrmnjim
Cruiser

I started on a yamaha 400s when i was 17, went to a honda cb750 @ 19. Took 25 yrs off to raisea family. Was looking seriously at the 1100 Shadows when I went in to the stealer and saw my Nightster, it was over. I can't say for certain though that a 1200c would have been worth the extra $3k over the shadow.IMHO

Old 06-27-2007 | 03:35 PM
VRodRider
Advanced

Started on a Suzuki GS500F in 2005, Pick up my 2003 V-Rod tomorrow afternoon.

Old 06-27-2007 | 03:54 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

ORIGINAL: BWLucky13

I didn't "convert" to Harley. They finally built a bike that I like. I would love to ride a smooth, classy BMW, or a thrilling Ducati, or a musical Triumph, or a finely engineered KawaHonda. But first, they've got to compete with a Sportster.
They started making Sporsters in the 60's and evo Sporties in 86. What took you so long to "Discover" it?

Old 06-27-2007 | 03:56 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

When I was raising my kids andtrying to make ends meet, it woulda been hard justifying 15-20 large for a motorcycle, so I stuck with cheaper jap bikes. Most were reliable, albeit soulless, modes of 2-wheeled transportation and I enjoyed riding them.

Once the kids were grown & I had more disposable income, the Harley was mine. I believe coming from jap bikes gives one a better appreciation of what makes a Harley a Harley. You get used to a certain level of quality (or the lack thereof)on jap machines, then you move to H-D and start seeing much better build quality, better component quality, better looks, better sound, etc. No longer do you have to keep saying to yourself "It's OK, it'sjust a motorcycle..." as you watch the plastic chrome flake off, thecheap paint fade, the frame rust, etc.

Jap bikes serve their purpose, but they will never bethe equal ofthe real motorcycles they emulate...

Quick Reply: Did you convert to Harley?