General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you convert to Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007 | 11:27 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer
Default RE: Did you convert to Harley?

Agreed with what everyone said so far. I think if most people are honest, they'l admit to wanting a harley. how could you not , it's"THE BIKE". Like most I couldnt aford Harley until my thirtys, just turned the big 3 0 jan. I always had metrics and still have a yama pajama 426 dirt bike. But always wanted one and finaly got one, 2007 wide glide baby. So its not realy a conversion, as it is a dream come true.[sm=biker2.gif][sm=biker2.gif][sm=biker2.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 06-26-2007 | 11:32 PM
pmedic433
Tourer

I did, but I was about 13 or 14 yrs. old. I started on a Honda Elsinore 50, Suzuki TM 125, Suzuki TM125, my first street bike was a Honda 1983 CB 750 F, then in 1996 I bought a Honda 1996 1100 Shadow, which I sold this past March. The Hondas were great, but they did not have IMHO the old school feel and soul that Harleys have.

A good friend of mine has 2 shovelheads and told me that once I rode one that I would understand. I didn't believe him at first until I rented a Heritage Softail. All I can say now is that I am hooked and now understand what my friend mean't.

It is killing me, first not having a ride, but not being able to make the money fast enough to get one of my own.

Old 06-26-2007 | 11:40 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain

I rode and showed Goldwings for over 25 years, and I still believe they are the ultimate bike for long distance. When they changed the body style 4 years ago, I hated them, so I went the cruiser way with a Honda VTX 1800R. The VTX is a very fast bike, but I never liked the ride, so I started looking for something different. Then I saw the Street Glide and loved the looks of the bike especially in the Vivid Black, so I traded for it. Love the bike, still don't like the attitude of some to the Harley owners, but will keep it for a while.

Old 06-26-2007 | 11:48 PM
streetboob
Road Warrior

I don't think I converted. I served an apprenticeship on cheap 70's Hondas until I was worthy enough to graduate on to my first HD.

Old 06-27-2007 | 12:11 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

It was love at first sight. Did not need to be coverted honestly.[sm=drlove.gif]

Old 06-27-2007 | 12:11 AM
ultrajoe2009
Novice

I just recently got into road bikes. I bought a Yamaha vstar 1100. I thought I'd never buy a Harley. Too much money,underpowered ect.. Soon after I started riding, I realized I wanted a bigger bike.The road king kept catching my eye on the street. I still tried to resist. I test rode a yamaha roadstar. Then I finally went to the local harley dealer to see what the big deal was with these harleys.They didn't have a 07 road king so I test rode an 07 street glide w/96in motor and 6spd . Less than one month later, I sold the yamaha and bought a 07 vivid black road king classic. Can't seem to stop smiling. Go figure

Old 06-27-2007 | 12:19 AM
Suki
Advanced

I am one, as well. i got a 1200 for my first bike. realized immediately that it was too much power and down sized to a Yamaha Virago 535, which i rode for 3 years. then went an Intruder 800 which i rode for 4 years. it was totalled and that was the perfect excuse to get back on a Harley. I got the Dyna in Oct of 06. imo, it's my best ride thus far...

Old 06-27-2007 | 12:40 AM
Hydraboss
Tourer

Always rode Honda's. Started on a MiniMoto50, CR80, CR125, Twinstar 125, CX500Custom, 81 Interstate, 84 Aspencade, 81 CB900Custom Tour....and then the old man bought a 87 FLHTC. $hit! Now I had to convert, except I didn't have the cash. Skip ahead a few years (like 13!) and I start looking at the new metrics. All of them. Some are wicked nice (M109R), some are "just what I'm looking for" (XV1700 Yam/1600 Nomad/C90T Boulevard). Not Honda; too damn expensive. Most of these are $13-17K CDN and there's no way I can afford them.

Then I take the wife to the Harley dealer in another town. She looks and says "I want a Harley".

Who the hell am I to argue. Six months later I'm at the bike show with two buddies and we all agree that we're buying HD. Looked at the metrics again and thought "I would be buying this to look like a Harley, but it never will be." There was only one problem: There's no way I'm spending $30K CDN on a bike. Never.

Ordered the Street Glide. Waited for the Street Glide. Waited for the Street Glide some more. Looked at the Wings again. Waited for the Street Glide. Glad I waited for the Street Glide.

I never thought it would happen, but I feel different on the Harley. Not tougher, just different. It's weird. Would I consider another brand now that I own the HD? I never thought I would own anything other than a Honda. Anything could happen.

Old 06-27-2007 | 01:12 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer

I never really converted. I own one but I am a twisty loving sport-touring rider at heart.
I did get the Harley because the wife rides with me and she really liked it but my heart was set on the Buell. To me the Buell has the heart of the air cooled maintenence free v-twin in an unbeliveable chassis.

Ideally I would like to keep the HD for the long rides with the wife and get the buell for the tight stuff. Best of both worlds.

Don't get me wrong, the Superglide is good at what it does (what I call agressive cruiser riding) but I have touched the pegs down a few times within the first few months of ownership. I tone down my riding with my wife on the back and with the sundowner she can last for many miles on it (AFter 200 miles on the ZRX she was done for the day when I was just warmed up)

I guess what I am saying is that I am not a Harley convert but DEFINATELY an air cooled v-twin convert. Even in the sportbike chassis on the Buell that motor speaks to me. The in line four of the ZRX was just too vanilla.

Old 06-27-2007 | 02:09 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

I fell in love with HD's at a young age.I always knew I would buy a HD,but I had to get a few sportbikes through my system first.Dam those things are fun!

Quick Reply: Did you convert to Harley?