General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in bike immediately after purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:30 PM
RagmanZL
Tourer
Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Trading in bike immediately after purchase

Taking a sport glide for a test drive on Tuesday. If I like it I'm thinking of buying this limited I have my eye on for $13k. Dealer said he would give me $15k on a trade in for the sport glide. Would save me $2k which would be great.
so could I just take the title that was signed by the guy I bought the limited from and bring that to the dealer with the bike (I'm sure the owner would let me borrow his plate to take it to the dealer) or do I have to transfer the title to me first?

I live in monroe county NYS

thanks.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:02 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

So let me see if I get this. You test ride a bike (#1), you like it. You are going to buy a different bike (#2) then trade it against #1 to make $2G to save $2G.? Okay. The title situation is a little more confusing. You buy the bike and title signed over to you, at some point in time the bike needs to be registered in your name for your tags. If it were me, I'd pay for #2, get the title, apply for registration from the state. While that is in process put a down payment on #1 and ask the dealership to hold it for you, when you get your new tag/registration then do the trade. Are you trying to avoid a sales tax on one of the bikes, just asking.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Jumping title is illegal in all states I've lived in. I think everything is illegal in NY. Ask the selling dealer!

Old 07-08-2018, 07:26 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Crack kills. Put down the crack pipe.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,090 Likes on 2,043 Posts

I'm in new york as well so what red said is true...definetly not going to fly in the great nanny state. Also since you'll have to register, insure,pay for a new title and pay taxes you'll be about 1100-1200 into thst process. So you're looking at clearing about 800 maybe a grand if you're lucky. Who's to say the dealer doesn't change his trade in offer once you bring the bike in for them to see??? I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time a dealer throws out a high offer to get someone in the door then beat up the trade to lower the value...either take the 13k you were going to buy the other bike with and buy it and keep it ,you said you had your eye on it, or take the 13k and work a better deal on the new bike. Seems like a lot of risk for very little reward.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

What happens when the dealer only offers 10k once they see it?

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:18 PM
RagmanZL
Tourer

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
So let me see if I get this. You test ride a bike (#1), you like it. You are going to buy a different bike (#2) then trade it against #1 to make $2G to save $2G.? Okay. The title situation is a little more confusing. You buy the bike and title signed over to you, at some point in time the bike needs to be registered in your name for your tags. If it were me, I'd pay for #2, get the title, apply for registration from the state. While that is in process put a down payment on #1 and ask the dealership to hold it for you, when you get your new tag/registration then do the trade. Are you trying to avoid a sales tax on one of the bikes, just asking.
yes i would be paying probably close to $800 for bike #2. And then over $1000 for bike #1. I didn't know if what I was asking was illegal. I wouldn't consider it tax evasion if I never registered bike #2 but hey, it's why I'm asking you guys I really appreciate the response. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:21 PM
RagmanZL
Tourer

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I'm in new york as well so what red said is true...definetly not going to fly in the great nanny state. Also since you'll have to register, insure,pay for a new title and pay taxes you'll be about 1100-1200 into thst process. So you're looking at clearing about 800 maybe a grand if you're lucky. Who's to say the dealer doesn't change his trade in offer once you bring the bike in for them to see??? I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time a dealer throws out a high offer to get someone in the door then beat up the trade to lower the value...either take the 13k you were going to buy the other bike with and buy it and keep it ,you said you had your eye on it, or take the 13k and work a better deal on the new bike. Seems like a lot of risk for very little reward.
I hear ya. Just trying to get a new bike as cheap as I can since it is a good deal outta my price range. "Work a better deal on the new bike" i wish. seeing as I have never known anyone who has gotten under MSRP in a new bike.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 PM
RagmanZL
Tourer

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
What happens when the dealer only offers 10k once they see it?
well then I would have to keep the limited.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:23 PM
RagmanZL
Tourer

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Crack kills. Put down the crack pipe.
ha ha. Never touch the stuff but I get your point

Quick Reply: Trading in bike immediately after purchase