General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

ORIGINAL: orangecrush

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci and they can't suspend your license in your homestate.
I beg to differ with you. If your state (NC in my case) finds out that I was given a 15mph over the speed limit ticket, NC can PULL YOUR LICENSE.

In NC, LEO's have the right to pull your license on the spot if you are caught 15 or more over the speedlimit. Even in another state, if you get busted, when you return, they can still do it even if the ticket was in another state.

Ask me how I know....

Just for the record, you can tell the LEO that you want to post animmediate bond and they will set a court date. (most people don't know that in NC....however, I don't think I've ever heard of a cop actually pulling someone's license)
Yes, your home state can suspend your license if they are a reciprocal state, which most are. However, the Va DMV cannot suspend your license if you are licensed in another state. It has to be done by your home state. Since the new fees are a civil action, your home state will not take action against you. These fees are not part of the criminal proceeding. They are a civil sanction, that is why the judge has not power to reduce them.

It is a similar situation if you get a DUI in Va and are an out of stater. For Va residents, we (Yeah, I'm a cop) seize your license for 7 days. This is a civil process, not part of the criminal procedings. If you are from out of state, we don't take your license, we just notify you that your priveledge to drive in Va is suspended for 7 days (1st offense, 60 for the second) You can still drive everywhere, but in Virginia.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...1+ful+CHAP0960

Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Wags1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: vheflin

Just more Bu!!chit in my opinion. I'm tired of getting robbed by the government. I'm hoping to get out of Virginia as soon as I can.
Exactly right! We all have choices. We get the government we deserve. You can either stand up and fight or move to a state that reflects what you want. If you stay and put up with it....you get what you deserve. Sorry to be blunt.

If you want to change things you have to call/contact your local state legislator, senator, congressman, county representative, etc. and complain. If you have not done that then they just think that you approve of what they are doing. Representative democracy, which is what we have in this country, requires informed and INVOLVED citizens. It is hard work. But if you just sit back and take it...well you will just take it!

Old 06-28-2007, 05:06 AM
sgt joe
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Lil Truckr

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket. [&:]

Virginia legislator introduces new speeding ticket tax that boosts penalties beyond $3550,

driving business to his traffic law firm.

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new,
multi-year
tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield),
lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill
signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon,
LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists
seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to
$3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as
the points remain.

"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue,

"the new law states. (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license

demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050
tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee of up to $100 if a prior conviction
leaves the motorist with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each additional
point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this example remains on the record for five
years.

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal," "passing a school bus"

or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the
conviction remains on the record for eleven years.

Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law forbids judges from reducing

or suspending it in any way. The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount. Michigan, New Jersey, New York and
Texas also impose a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax which they apply to
out-of-state residents.

The Virginia Supreme Court provides a full explanation of the new penalties for each traffic infraction in the 34k PDF file at the source link below.

Source: PDF File Civil Remedial Fees (Executive Secretary, Virginia Supreme Court, 6/21/2007)

I BETCHA THE sportbike DEALERS and riders don't like seeing this ! Might put em outta bizzness !

Old 06-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have and do write these clowns at all levels. I'm sure that the tone of all the canned crap that I get back from them is a clear indication that everything that I've sent them has ended up in a "round" file.

I know that its hard enough being a LEO, but give lets even give them a break, you can sure enough bet that with the current public (civilian) centiments from these kind of fines going into law, the attatude toward a LEO will be filled with distain to boardline on hatefor them inforcing this highway robbery. I don't see them getting any kind of pay raisefor this mess anytime soon!
Since the state is in such financial dire straights to impose this graconian measure.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 PM
RoadRunR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when are the powers that be going to do chit about these illigal wet backazz ols that get drunk and kill people

like the two girls in Va beach.

I say shoot the fuggers

[:@]

Old 06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

I agree with REM, "As I've stated before, Virginia is no longer for Lovers but for the TAX Collector. "