General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

I have written both my State Senator and Representative on this issue. As a resident of the Commonwealth, I am very much angered over what I percieve to be an abuse of power.

Kathy
It was at my displeasure to recently discover that an insidious new law was included in a transportation spending bill last April. This "responsibility" tax will be levied against those convicted of various traffic offenses even after they have been fined (punished) in traffic court. The fee amounts are astronomical, and will have the effect of causing great financial hardship to many Virginia residents. (I say Virginia residents because out-of-state offenders will not be subjected to this insanity.) I recently read an article on this travesty that quoted an attorney who referred to this legislation as the "Lawyer Full-Employment Act". How disgusting!
I am sending this to you to not only register my anger over this legislation, but to also ask that you support any effort to repeal it. I personally think it is unconstitutional, that is violates "Equal protection under the law" since only Virginia residents are targeted, and that it is political "piling on" of the worst sort.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyslow

In VA anything over 80 is felony reckless driving. 6 points and possible license suspension.

Going over 80 is RD. Is is a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn! And I thought my $700 speeding fine was overboard!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

But it's all about SAFETY! It's for "the children"! [:@] [:'(]
If any thing on the planet was for the safety of "the children" we would have "Seat Belts" in School buses for 40,000,000 school children that ride a bus to school every day here in this country (USA).

Safety is so far from the issue that its not funny.

MONEY is the issue and the VA is going anything it can short of stealing it from your wallet to get all you have.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My reply was tongue in cheek. Anytime the liberals want to steal more of your money it's always about "safety" or "the children".

ORIGINAL: Ram

If any thing on the planet was for the safety of "the children" we would have "Seat Belts" in School buses for 40,000,000 school children that ride a bus to school every day here in this country (USA).

MONEY is the issue and the VA is going anything it can short of stealing it from your wallet to get all you have.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:28 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well things just don't change within our govt, another way of getting more of our $$$$ without DOING anything.
I love the USA, as is reflected on my bike, and as a former police officer I do not mind telling you I have lost all faith in those that run the USA. We are WAY over due for a house cleaning.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My reply was tongue in cheek. Anytime the liberals want to steal more of your money it's always about "safety" or "the children".

I Know, I'm sorry to vent with your post, both are a very sore subject to me being I pay taxes and live in this SH they call a state of VA or Communitst wealth.

No offence ment toward you at all "petemac", hope you didn't take any.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No offense taken. Just didn't want you to confuse me with one of those commie pinko liberals.

I Know, I'm sorry to vent with your post, both are a very sore subject to me being I pay taxes and live in this SH they call a state of VA or Communitst wealth.

No offence ment toward you at all "petemac", hope you didn't take any.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci and they can't suspend your license in your homestate.
I beg to differ with you. If your state (NC in my case) finds out that I was given a 15mph over the speed limit ticket, NC can PULL YOUR LICENSE.

In NC, LEO's have the right to pull your license on the spot if you are caught 15 or more over the speedlimit. Even in another state, if you get busted, when you return, they can still do it even if the ticket was in another state.

Ask me how I know....

Just for the record, you can tell the LEO that you want to post animmediate bond and they will set a court date. (most people don't know that in NC....however, I don't think I've ever heard of a cop actually pulling someone's license)

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 PM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just more Bu!!chit in my opinion. I'm tired of getting robbed by the government. I'm hoping to get out of Virginia as soon as I can.

Quick Reply: Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket